Author Topic: Arctic MUD Essay... My Thoughts on the Game  (Read 24752 times)

Keith

Arctic MUD Essay... My Thoughts on the Game
« on: August 26, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »
I apologize in advance for the long essay.  This initially touched on the "just open it" thread from above, but then went somewhere far different.  This is somewhat related to, yet expanded on a previous post of mine.

I agree with opening it up; basic maps/walkthroughs to low-mid level zones and leveling guides won't hurt anyone and could help any potential newbies if they exist.  Arctic has long been against anything resembling "open", although more recently has been moving that direction.  The posting of weapon sets, alteration of fake.lore and no.lore has long been necessary to minimize the necessity of having a cheat immortal who will stat stuff for you.  On the other hand, we are relying more and more on the judgement of the immortals to decide mortal matters, which is decidedly less open.  I.e. Besides being ruthless and a prick, I haven't heard what rule Mumu broke that deserved deletion?  Giving immortals unilateral control to delete characters with days of playtime by their discretion is ripe for abuse and vendettas.  If you thought that there was complaining before about bias in the immortal ranks, get ready for next wipe when one clan gets targetted where others are left alone... In any case, Sabibi has some good ideas, but I'm not sure that any of them will result in a dramatic change in population, which is what we all would hope for.

Obviously Arctic isn't retaining the same amount of players as it gains in newbies.  The question is, what is wrong with Arctic?
1.  The game itself.
2.  The players of the game.
3.  Out-of-touch immortals.

The game itself is over 20 years old; it is impressive it has lasted THIS long.  There are much shinier games with many more people, geared either to PVE (WoW, Guild Wars, etc.) or PVP (LOL, Darkfall).  The PVE (on the high end) struggles to find a balance between zones getting steamrolled and zones that take HOURS to complete. Along with this, there are bizarre keywords that require groups spend hours trying to figure new zones (or being friends with the creator/some imm with knowledge), which a lot of people find very annoying.  The PVP mostly revolves around quick strikes with unbalanced ambushes against unsuspecting players, or sitting around for hours waiting for your opponent to get the nerve to leave the inn (which they never do).  All of this does not fit into my average working man's schedule well; when I get a chance to play, I have to hope that I have several clanmates on (and at least more than Myths/Maza/Wilds to kick them off) who want to play in order to hopefully have enough time to do a zone that I have enough time to finish. 

Even more importantly, there is a warring ideology between players:  some believe Arctic should be primarily PVE, with only gentlemenly contests between clans (no ambushes, no hunting unknowns) vs. those that believe Arctic should remain the cutthroat game it has always been.  I would suggest that many, many more people leave out of boredom rather than because they were pked.  Alleviating boredom causes some players to random, but I agree this can be detrimental on the game if it causes more players to quit than it saves.  There is a very fine line which Arctic has been able to walk in the past, but I'm not sure it is doing as well now.

I throw in the immortals, even while knowing they have put in a lot of work on the game.  I think that sometimes they consider Arctic how it used to be when they were mortal (which is a long, long time ago for some and increasingly longer as you move up the levels), or how it is on their fully-equipped, great-statted test character with access to all zone/item knowledge, compared to the average person.  We had a great discussion about botting/multiing a few threads back, which a lot of people chipped on on their opinions and where the vast majority of players were for at least a trial of such... which Aristox quickly squashed.  Obviously, he believes he knows better than the majority; I remain unconvinced.  There is some vague messaging about coming changes; this would be the perfect time for another open, honest discussion of the changes.  I would think you would not want to alienate the few players left with changes that the majority hates, and if that's the case, I would think you would want to ask us before spending the days of coding for it.  At this point, it is our game as much at it is yours; you have done a lot of work on the back end so that we can play it on the front end, unless you want to code for no one.  Why not let us have input (and not just ask us what our input is before you do whatever you want)?

I believe that Arctic's low population is a combination of the above: an aging game with players who are on each other's last nerve, with immortals who have lost touch with what the average player wants.  My suggestions would be:  some level of allowed multiing, a pk system that is toggleable when war is declared or certain items are worn (with the knowledge that the enemy clan will be able to zone while you are on), changing the zones that never end to something quicker to finish, less emphasis on ridiculous kws (or more emphasis on in-zone clues), frequent pwipes to decrease boredom, and more concern from immortals about minor balance tweaks (debuffing tether, relo while buffing hunt/track) and less concern about groundbreaking changes.  The last (and probably most important) part is trying to obtain more newbies... which I will leave to someone else. 

Flame on.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:30:24 PM by Keith »

Dyl

• Zoner
Re: Arctic MUD Essay... My Thoughts on the Game
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 11:27:33 PM »
Frequent pwipes where eee eee.  Its Christmas in July????

RichE

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:15:41 AM »
Just can't drop the Multi thing eh?

Keith

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 05:52:00 AM »
No.  It was the prospect of allowing it that excited me to come back this time in the first place.  Also, it is still happening (outside of SoB), though I don't really blame them with the low numbers around.  When I log on, I'd like to be able to have a group to do a fun zone that doesn't take all night to do.  Anything that accomplishes that more easily, I will be for.  Bots are the easiest answer, but not the only.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:20:11 PM »
Boo Botting.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »
If you really want to fix any sort of declining playerbase issue, bite the bullet accept that a couple should get permanently banned before they chase off even more of the playerbase for this awesome game. And im sure names dont even need to be said, it should be quite obvious which minority is causing issues for the majority. I can say that maybe if some players disappear because they cant get past that arctic isnt ONLY about pk... it will be far less than those who do disappear because they are sick of wasting time trying to learn only to find themselves stuck in peacerooms because they will either be randomed OR they will fight back and a whole clan will simply target them in which case they will likely end up in peace rooms. Sure a little pk is fine, but at what point is it worth ruining other peoples arctic experiences? Its pathetic really. I personally would accept a ban trade and never come back to arctic to have at least one douchebag removed in exchange so that maybe more people could enjoy what is left of the mud without getting randomed at the solace shop at level 25 by a naked legend druid.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 10:10:23 PM »
Give it up, Gramm.  Trying to convince trash that trash isn't a valid playstyle is like trying to convince Bryton that, yes, his dates really should say 'yes' before he 'gets to know' them.  Or that he shouldn't have to rape sheep.

Jason

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 10:23:59 PM »
Also, I remember seeing some in SoB claim 'But we don't bot anymore!'   

Utter, complete horseshit.  There is at least one known SoB bot team online now. Not really hidden, to anyone who is paying attention, either, so I know SoB doesn't care. 

Jason

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 10:44:08 PM »
Gramm your logic is crazy. You show me a list of people that have quit this game due to pk and I will show you a list of people that have quit due to boredom. My list will be longer every time, rarely does anyone quit due to pk. The reason people quit is due to boredom and real life situations and thats basically it.

The problem is the end game of arctic is super boring, why do you think we get so many numbers when it wipes ? If you want more people to play and play longer, the mid game and end game needs to be fixed. Everyone gets tired of running zones 10000 times for items especially after they have all the spells they need. There have been lots of ideas that have been thrown out there to fix this. buuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttt i doubt anything will happen. GG

Oh and I think it would be cool if the system announced when top end equipment decayed.

System: Humas Shield Decayed

P.S
Gramm just cause you and Nate screwed your clan, it doesn't mean that pk is ruining arctic. Just don't be a jerk/idiot or socialize with jerks/idiots.

enochvey

• Fodder
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 11:35:36 PM »
Every time I have left this game/taken a break it has been because of randoming or other prickish behavior from the playerbase. It is impossible for me to be bored on this game, I can ALWAYS find something to do if im not forced to innsit.

Again, there is NOTHING about the game itself or the imms (even morgion) which has ever caused me to take a break/quit. The xp requirements are NOT the reason! Over the years I developed the ability to bounce back from a multitide of pve deaths by solo xping. This skillset I found to be FAR more powerful when I came back to the game this time because of a number of very good game changes. If the xp loss/requirements didn't make me quit before these changes, why would I be concerned about it now?

Instead it has been a multitude of negative interactions with the player base that has made me leave EVERY single time. Random killings, exceedingly poor general social skills, inexplicably hostile and enduring personal grudges that suck everyone nearby those involved into the mess, cheating, lying, whining, stealing, scorched earth war policies, having sharp disagreements with friends that change the nature of the friendship... Things like this are what have made me leave. 

Unfortunately, that's pretty much how I expect this run of mine to end eventually as well. Sad to say, Arctic is as Arctic does. Way it has been, way it will always be until the bitter whimpering end. That is unless something drastic is changed that prevents one portion of the playerbase from utterly ruining it for the other(s) for extended periods of time.

No I don't have any bright ideas of how to fix the game to change this, and no for the eleventy billionth time bots are not the answer. What I do know is that the game can remain exactly as it is, and I won't run into any of the problems I've seen before if people would value the other lines of text on their screens as human beings, even the ones they don't like.

So how about we all try that eh?

Shesh

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 12:39:03 AM »
killings, exceedingly poor general social skills, inexplicably hostile and enduring personal grudges that suck everyone nearby those involved into the mess, cheating, lying, whining, stealing, scorched earth war policies, having sharp disagreements
Good lord, you're living large. I haven't had half of that in what, 14 years of playing? Please tell us more.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
Vuddy will code all disagreements out of the system.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:21 AM »
Aristox has to take into account the silent majority as well, not just the most outspoken proponents for Botting/Multiing. Not all players post their thoughts and opinions on the General Discussion section.

Ezio

• Fodder
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »
How many majority's does Arctic have?!

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:21:14 AM »
Just stepping in to nit pick one part of this, then I will step back out and lurk.

We had a great discussion about botting/multiing a few threads back, which a lot of people chipped on on their opinions and where the vast majority of players were for at least a trial of such... which Aristox quickly squashed.  Obviously, he believes he knows better than the majority; I remain unconvinced.

First, yes it was a great discussion.

Second, it was not the vast majority of players, it wasn't even 40% of them. It was the vast majority of people who post on the forums, which is a small % of the playerbase.  Just because 5 guys posted 12 times each doesn't mean there are 60 people all for the idea.

Third, I am not sure how letting the discussion go on for 5 days and have 12 pages of posts is quickly squashing something.

Fourth, I don't believe I know better than the majority of the players, I believe I have the best interest of the game in mind while a good number of players have only their own interests in mind. My job is to stand back and see the whole picture, not what is fun for a few vocal people.