Author Topic: true newbies  (Read 3818 times)

snax

true newbies
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »
It took me about 4 years to hit 25.  A true newbie who gets hooked isn't someone who get shoved from newbie to endgame in 1 day.  That's a fallacy in thinking by some people who bring friends.  A true newbie is someone who gets a 35+ paralyzing the kender who just stole your lamp after an hour of fleeing and attacking.  A true newbie gets a wizinvis casting healing mist to save the life of a mortally wounded butterfly.  There will come a time again in the future that the game flourishes, howver care must be taken not to overcompensate for the masses who are all end game players.

With that in mind, I'ld like to propose a mini-wipe chaos day event.
Level cap of 20, pwipe, see what shit people can pull off.  botting allowed, etc etc.  run it for a week, let people actually keep what they pull off popping when reverting to regular format. 

It'ld be fun, and somewhat interesting.  I realize some of the end game content can't be done by 20s, but probably 80-100 of the games zones could be done by a dedicated prepped 10 man.

Flush the gear, start us out naked and broke, give us a week, and let the victors keep the spoils, by merging the 2 playerbase data files.

Anyways, nuff said.

Nasredin

• Immortal
Re: true newbies
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 08:10:49 AM »
It took me about 4 years to hit 25.

One of my friends spent many months at level 5, trying in vain to get to 6 and finally lore the stats of the char. Since I had a high level char (10 or 12, can't remember), quality eq (2d5++ prim etc.) and decent game knowledge (I could lead toede, lost mine and all of solace sewers, not just the centipedes part), I tried to help him, but he kept dying. Not sure if he got to lev6 before the end of the wipe, probably not.

But we were exploring a lot and learned or experienced something new almost every day.

Fun times!
*oldtimer*

Quote from: snax
A true newbie who gets hooked isn't someone who get shoved from newbie to endgame in 1 day.
That's a fallacy in thinking by some people who bring friends.

Can't agree more. If I needed a program that prints on the screen now and then, "You obliterated the ancient and feared green dragon, you're a super-hero!", it takes <5 minutes of coding to make one. The fun of the game is in the process, and getting the results too fast and without effort devaluates them and reduces the fun.

If the victory (PK, PvE, a solved quest, whatever) was easy and didn't take any thinking or effort from me, what's the fun in it?

Quote from: snax
With that in mind, I'ld like to propose a mini-wipe chaos day event.
Level cap of 20, pwipe,

The idea isn't bad but I see some problems with implementation (...merging the 2 playerbase data files... *cringe*)

Perhaps an easier implementation could be something along the lines:

- Wait until the next regular wipe
- Start a new wipe as a mini-wipe with an announced fixed duration of, say, 1 week
- Announce the rules for the mini-wipe (anything from regular rules to complete chaos)
- Set the challenges (the highest rank per class, the highest level per class, the best spelled or skilled char of the class; most pkill frags; best pkills-deaths score; most different dragons killed; be the first to complete CT, etc. etc. Whatever is easy to implement or manually check in the log files)
- On day 7, run a tournament
- The winners (tournament, challenges) announce the name and the e-mail of their first char next wipe to the imms
- Wipe again

- Start a normal wipe
- The winners make the announced chars (the e-mails are used to prevent the fraud) and get their medals
- The wipe continues as any normal wipe

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
Re: true newbies
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:08:55 PM »
I think the idea of a pure race wipe that's only a week long sounds great.  I don't even think there needs to be a prize for winning, just post the stats on the website for bragging rights (highest rank, most $$$, most pks, most limit 1 items, etc.) and then start the real wipe.