Author Topic: PK Change Idea  (Read 7572 times)

eddiex

• Zoner
PK Change Idea
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »
Equipment Value Threshold (EVT) is a system that determines whether a pk target is lootable.  The system is designed to steer those who like to pk from pestering uninterested players and newbies toward the bigger fish who have a greater chance of warding off an attack.

How I envision it:
-Aggressor in pk is always 100% lootable.  You initiate the activity, you inherit the risk.  (Aggressor not as determined by our current flag system, but the first person to engage in combat)
-Unlimited equipment is never lootable.  (If it is unlimited you can load it yourself, killing someone and taking their unlimited equipment basically says, "If you are uninterested in pk when i kill you in 3 seconds i can potentially waste 5 hours of your time aka being a dickhead)
-Limited equipment has value based on its rarity. The value of this equipment is totaled and if you are over threshold X then these items are lootable.  (In many cases, those who are most averse to pk are the newer players and those less interested in pk.  These players generally don't retain a large portion of extremely rare gear but like to have their trinkets all the same.  If a pker is just going to dump most of their equipment on a world merchant or their rolling character, might as well not waste these players time.
-Legendary and other extremely rare EQ produce a much larger leap toward EVT.  I.E. Nobashes and all those goodies automatically place a player over the EVT  (those who can obtain these items are much more capable of protecting them therefore they should have a greater liability toward pk)

So what's the point of pking still if i have everything to lose and nothing to gain?  Well i thought you wanted to pk for the thrill of it and not just to dominate on those who are less experienced at the game.  Even so, i propose some counterpoints to promote pk.

Counterbalances:
For the Pkers
-Pkers receive "pk pts" based on the equip value of the player killed, regardless if they were at the lootable threshold.  The higher the targets equip value the more pk pts the hunter receives.
-Pk pts received will also be exponentially reduced based on the ratio of the hit. Ex. If a 3 man assaults a soloer they receive 1/9th of the potential pk pts.
-Pk pts can be used to purchase perks just like ranks.  1day nobash flag, auto haste flag, ams flag etc.

For those above EVT who are scared of losing their shinies to trash:
-Players who are below the EVT cannot loot items which automatically place a char over the EVT.  (alternative, players below EVT only have % chance of looting a char above EVT the greater the difference the lower the %).
-As with pk pts, %chance of looting is exponentially reduced or increased based on group ratio if players below EVT engage person above EVT. (ex 3 below v 1 above 1/9th X EVT ratio = %chance of looting and vise versa)

Other notes:
CRPS can also be factored in. Top 2 clans are exempt from EVT pk limitations.  They are essentially fair game for everyone because they are the most dominant. To make sure the CRPS truly reflect the most dominant clans.  Make the end game mobs or Mobs currently loading Legendary equipment create a huge leap in CRP.

I know the idea isn't perfect but i tried to come up with an idea which addresses the negative effects pking has on some members of our playerbase, while leaving pk unrestricted.

Rhys

Re: PK Change Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 09:05:38 PM »
Well thought through. I like it.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
Respawn with the unlims?

What about 3rd party looters/dead in fight and looting humas?/zapped items vs align specifics?

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 11:12:59 PM »
I'm not sure heh.  What do you think?  The system is no perfect but just kind of something that may be an idea to start with.

I think to account for this zapped items should stay in corpse and only those who participated in a pk should be able to loot anything.  Otherwise gear sits in corpse if it was within the unlootable %. 

Corpse camping would fall under the don't be an asshat policy so i don't think that would be an issue.

Joseph Norton

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:33:55 AM »
The dead in fight thing could be fixed by allowing a person to loot their own corpse... no matter what. There would have to be a special flag for a kill from PK to prevent third party looters... maybe sees the names of the folks in the fight to only allow them the chance to loot. That flag would obviously only last until corpse decay. By storing the names of the peeps in the fight it would stop someone from kicking his buddy and using the flag to loot.

I like this Idea a lot.  It is a good way of keeping randomers at bay. But ... randomers do add a fun aspect to the game as well.  To a limit they create excitement... Someone walks into the TollHouse without a clan tag....awkward silent moment... You guys surely know what I mean.

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 10:36:19 AM »
This system is insanely complex.

Any complex system is going to be abused.

If the system is not stupidly simple, it is not going to happen.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »
This system is insanely complex.

Any complex system is going to be abused.

If the system is not stupidly simple, it is not going to happen.

I'll take a stab at simplifying it. Items have three tiers:
Tier 1 - stuff you can buy in the main shops (milky, recall, plain long sword, bronze shield). they are bound to the character, cannot be looted, and you still have them after you die.
Tier 2 - unlimited pops (sense life, infravision, det invis, held autofly, +1stat, -1save, +1hitroll hands, 3d4 prime, 2d6 offie, 5d5 2hand, 3 or less rp to simulate, worn lights). cannot be looted except by player, groupmate, clanmate (item will zap).
Tier 3 - limited pops (+dam, +heal, 4 or more rp to simulate, 4d4 +/+ prime, 3d5 +/+ offie, 6d5 +/+ 2hand)

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 01:27:08 PM »
I'm not so sure why there are so many posts regarding pk.  Is PK broken?  Components that make up PK, i.e. relocate, etc. may need to be tweaked, but actual PVP, looting gear, etc. is that broken?  It seems fine to me.  Nerf PK related relocate, reduce damage PVP, and i think we are fine. 

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 02:53:58 PM »
I'm not so sure why there are so many posts regarding pk.  Is PK broken?  Components that make up PK, i.e. relocate, etc. may need to be tweaked, but actual PVP, looting gear, etc. is that broken?  It seems fine to me.  Nerf PK related relocate, reduce damage PVP, and i think we are fine.

The only complaints I've ever heard were around relo (and to a much lesser extent, summon).

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »
Your missing the point. Both Hoss and Aristox have mentioned they want to address the mechanics of pk in such a way as to make it more difficult for one dominant clan to force its opposition off the mud.

I don't think they are looking for ways to make people keep their shit after they die... If they implement something along those lines it would be coded into the game in such a way that it is not calling on players to "do the right thing" because this inevitably leads to a bunch of whiny players spamming them about x or y who broke the rules, and they have better things to do with their time...

Arctic has and hopefully always will be an environment of risk and reward, where you put what you have on the line every time you step out of the inn, whether it be against players or mobs. This is one of the things that annoys the shit out of people, but also keeps the challenge in the game, and makes it playable for a long period of time...

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 06:05:38 PM »
You're missing the point.  This is the game ideas section of the forum...  I had an idea.

I understand the system is too complex to work.  I do like the idea of making unlimited equipment unlootable.  I have no problem with PKING.  I do have a problem with people wasting other peoples time, when they can use their own to obtain the same shit.  If we are trying to address what makes people play less.  People wasting other peoples time is one of them.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:27:42 PM by eddiex »

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 08:30:14 PM »
How about giving out asshat points! can we somehow initiate that : p i certainly know a few worthy of them!!

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »
pk isn't broken, its just trash characters are too strong.

edit: what i mean is, many classes are too strong having the bare minimum. a mage with trashy 30cl and a warrior equipped from the world merchant can take out pretty much anyone, regardless of the quality of their equipment.... maybe not a barbarian/paladin with freedom, but they're not common targets anyway.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:44:00 PM by daniel_1 »

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »
pk isn't broken, its just trash characters are too strong.

edit: what i mean is, many classes are too strong having the bare minimum. a mage with trashy 30cl and a warrior equipped from the world merchant can take out pretty much anyone, regardless of the quality of their equipment.... maybe not a barbarian/paladin with freedom, but they're not common targets anyway.

This is almost precisely what Hoss and I are trying to address.