Author Topic: Casting Level - Spell Slot Gear  (Read 14681 times)

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
Re: Casting Level - Spell Slot Gear
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 12:12:47 PM »
Disclaimer:  I haven't talked to Hoss about any of this yet, so do not consider this as a made decision, just me joining the discussion.

What if CL were removed and the bonuses it inferred were instead linked to common stats?

The New Intelligence:
-Continues to influence mem times and learning.
-All damage spells use intelligence of caster to determine damage done. The level-based calculations are removed in favor of INT based calcs.
-Affect power of buff spells tied to intelligence instead of level (number of mirror images, distance of locate object, enchant item, etc).
-Affect power of debuff spells tied to intelligence (weaken, jinx, etc).

The New Wisdom:
-Affect durations of offensive spells (stuns, holds, etc) are now tied to wisdom instead of level.
-Affect durations of buff spells are now tied to wisdom instead of level.
-Number of area targets hit is tied to wisdom. Each will hit a minimum of 2 targets and they get WIS/3 extra targets, so with 14 wis you would hit 14/3 + 2 = 5 targets.  With 27 wis you would hit 27/3 + 2 = 11 targets.
-Ability to relocate to non-grouped, non-clanned targets is tied to a specific wisdom level (25?, 24?).

What we end up with is a system that doesn't impose a stat with one huge purpose, we make mage's need gear to be effective and we create a bit more competition for wisdom/int gear (sorry clerics and druids!).  Honestly, the same concept could be applied to Clerics, Druids, Shaman (sub in CHA for WIS?), DKs and Paladins without much trouble, and that might be a great thing.

Just a thought.

Unless you change a LOT of stats on different gear, you're going down a slippery road of boredom for every class. I can't remember the last time I played a mage seriously and didn't have what amounted to 35-40 int at all times.

Every mage item right now has int.

Once you cap int, what's the point of anything else without a massive overhaul of the game's entirety?

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 02:25:20 PM »
Aristox - I like your idea, but you are essentially doubling the CL system with your proposal.  All you have done is transferred "CL" to be INT, and also added another Wisdom component that will be required to be operating at "full" capacity.

Correct, but it leaves the choices in the hands of the players.  Do you want to be a big banger/heavy damage type?  Stack int.  Do you want to be more effective in the non-damage side of things?  Stack wis.   Do you want to kick ass?  Do both.

This is also tied directly to stats already on your character, so you can roll for them, buy ranks for them and find gear for them.

We would also not require you to be 28 int/28 wis to be at the current "full" capacity.  The aim would probably 25/25 or 24/24 to be right about full capacity as defined right now, and going past 25 would give you a chance at a bonus.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 02:38:13 PM »
But doesn't mage race classes already get 24 natural or 25natural int?

Seems like you would only need a few pieces of gear to be full capacity or am I missing something?

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
Btown,

You are assuming that isn't going to change.

Nothing is off the table, anything can change.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
Regarding the argument to change relocate so it can not be used in pk:

The reason people use relocate to pk, is because there are SO many zones nowadays that once you enter, another group can not enter due to zone mechanics. This basically means that relocate is used because it is the ONLY way to pk unless you're going to sit outside the person inn or stronghold for 4 hours and hope they recall and leave the inn, which is boring\time consuming\unlikely to work.

snax

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 09:20:02 PM »
make it so relocate only works to group or clan members or flagged chars
We are currently discussing changes like this and how they would impact the game.

My grip with CL gear is that it doesn't provide the mage anything fun or exciting, it only forces them to collect a CL set. After we implemented the gear, it quickly became very common place and easy to get, which made it more of an annoyance than a hindrance to be a 'trash mage'.

how about mages simply can't relocate for (([60-castlevel] * n) / level)+1 ticks following a death, with no decay on timer in peace rooms...
and teleport could be nerfed for a much smaller amount with dim door having somewhere in between the two. (n = death count)
...or actual-level.....

now for real world math let's say I'm bubu the asian mage and level 25,  and I am still rolling and not griefing people and die once in a group.  my cast level drops to 14.  I can relocate in ((60-14) * 1 / 25) + 1 ticks or ... 2 ticks....

now let's say it's 3 months into the game and i'm becoming a trash mage and i'm level 30 and have died 18 times
((60-30) * 18 / 30) +1 ...oh shit 19 ticks!

the idea of this and btw the formula could be tweaked, this just sounded reasonable is that a) legitimate pkills punish sucky players, and b) griefing and being an asshat who occasionally dies nerfs your char in a subtle way.

hope it gets the juices flowin

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »
I guess what i want to say is i'm all for stats being more important in the game.  I would like to see 28 dex get a true hard-bash modifier with it also greatly affecting bash.  Same thing for other stats, etc.  21 should be max stat so it puts a premium on getting +stat gear, etc.

Regarding relocate: I would double the lag on non-group/clan relocates.  That evens the playing field, and if you can't get away in 3-4 seconds, then too bad.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 11:45:34 PM »
ive said for a long time (albeit probably not on these forums) that mage damage in general should have been slashed MASSIVELY and +spell damage should have been added to a wide variety of equipment.

as it stands right now, 30cl gives you the "base" mage damage which is by itself, quite strong. when you stack the +% spell damage items, it gets bapted up really fast.
you can get around +70-80% spell damage with the right equipment, though many are limit 1-2.

if you manage to get access to a dragon orb aswell and throw on mind afire, which stacks with dark accord/potency... the result is just pants on head retarded.

i personally never got to the optimal item set, as some of the +spell damage items i've factored in my math weren't in game then - but even still, it was possible with legendary dark accord, sinister barrage and rend to output in the vicinity of 600hp rounds with ~+50% spell damage and mind afire. with the optimal equipment, it would probably be more like 700-750, perhaps more. i also was not a gnome (old races).

noone really listened to me then, and noone has had all the items to get to that point since i played isabella to my knowledge, nor have i personally had the desire to. in my eyes it would have been an abuse of game mechanics and generally lame. regardless whether or not it is used it should not be possible for any character to be able to output that amount of damage in a single round on one target

it shouldn't have been left possible, though if i was some evil dickwad and went around 1rounding 700hp tanks i'm sure it would have gotten more attention.

the way that +spell damage scaling works is messed up, and needs to be looked at in general.
if you need a list of the items that give that stat, hit me up in a message - but im pretty sure you immortal types can just search that stuff

edit: thats lame that the forums edit the f bomb into bapted. i like the fbomb :(
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:48:05 PM by daniel_1 »

Lyam

• Immortal
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 09:42:30 PM »
i liked the idea of CL at the start, just didnt realise how much easy eq there would be that would have cl.. especially now there is a cl set.. any mage can easily get 30cl without much hassle.. i thought with the implementation of CL was that it would be hard to get so that 30cl would be like having a 15dam tank or something similiar

aristox idea has some merit, making mages roll for more than just a couple stats and stacking more than just slots/ints/hp in eq.. most other classes have to roll for like 4 stats and then also stack various +stat eq or get +stat ranks.. it would also mean a lot of work for the higher imms to go thru all the mage eq to change it

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 07:32:46 PM »
If you want to effectively prevent trash poofing for locations.. perhaps make it so that if a mage tagged "A" clan for instance poofs into someone tagged "B" clan, clan "B" can then kill the poofing mage of clan "A" without risk of getting flags. I bet people would stop trash poofing REALLLLY fast if they knew they would die for poofing and no flags would be granted to them.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 01:40:27 AM »
Rolling shouldn't be tedious.  There's a smarter answer.

xellos

• Zoner
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 05:35:29 AM »
gramm - well i know me and mumu wont be scared to poof fully loaded. happy?

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 08:30:53 AM »
no sir when you quit the poofing for your personal fun vs the rest of the muds, yes.

Brad

• Fodder
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 01:18:20 AM »
When mage you dont know poofs in.... Bash/Recall.  Mages are supposed to be powerful.  If you want to nerf them, take away hps.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 07:17:14 PM »
Warriors need relocate - finding a legend red robe to ether bash is making pk too difficult!