Author Topic: Ideas on making botting unnecessary  (Read 4335 times)

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
Ideas on making botting unnecessary
« on: August 01, 2013, 02:01:12 PM »
I would like to suggest a new bot system.

Firstly we create a new mob in every tavern in every town. Adventurer Master (name kinda sux). PC's can obtain adventurers via quests. For example you free Miranda in Citadel of Dracos and she agrees to adventure with you when you need her. You now go to the Adventure Master and type list. Miranda is now available for you to hire. Fee is dependent on the quality of the adventurer you want to hire.

Each adventurer has an initial starting level, lets say Miranda starts at level 25 (there should be low level adventurers available also that start at much lower levels) when you hire her first. She is NOT a regular charmy, and once hired she will fill a slot in your group. Each adventurer has specific commands, depending on class. You can order Miranda to watch a pc by gtelling Miranda watch xxx and she will cure them at a certain health %. She will automatically assist when the controlling pc enters combat. Certain spells such as cloak of bravery can be triggered by gtelling cloak, and she will automatically cure blind/remove fear people etc. If the controlling pc recalls, Miranda will quaff a word of recall potion which will recall her to the tavern where she was hired. Quaffing one will automatically cause another to be created. Miranda cannot be given items and will not give, drop or loot anything. Miranda gains exp just like normal pc's and can be leveled to 30. If Miranda dies while adventuring (she will not recall unless the pc does, but will try to keep herself cured) she is no longer available from the Adventurer Master until the pc redoes the quest, and she will begin at level 25 once more. Miranda will automatically rent when the pc does.

If a pc has an adventurer grouped and attacks another pc, Miranda will automatically rent. Adventurers cannot be hired while a pc is flagged. If a pc is attacked while having an adventurer grouped, the adventurer will assist the pc (specific actions dependent on class), but if the attacked pc fights back the adventurer will again rent. It could be cool to have some higher level, harder to get adventurers that will engage in pk.

This is probably quite a large code investment, but it should go hand in hand with a reduced group limit, I would suggest 8. I

would also suggest adding a 9th group slot for 33+ immortals to join groups. The immortal would just join the group rather than the group leader grouping the immortal. Once the immortal joins the group this activates a game side log file, the immortal class is set to paladin or dark knight or basher depending on align and they hit for 3d4 +3/3. The immortal can assist the group, but cannot tank or rescue. Why? Group gets a little bonus damage and can chat to an imm a bit. Immortals get something a little bit more interesting than wiz invis spying on chars and it should at worst add as a deterrent to botting and at best encourage a better relationship between staff and players...

reed23

• Zone Leader
Re: Ideas on making botting unnecessary
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »
so why would we do this rather than just allowing 2 characters per IP?

sart

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:24:14 PM »
He is going for a role playing (baulder's gate) feel.  Unfortunately even the main site tells people we aren't into that:

A mature game-playing audiences
There is little emphasis on role-playing, and character interactions are handled in a real-world manner left up to the players. This means that when there is competition or disputes between players and characters, these confrontations can sometimes end in violence. Stealing from and killing other player-characters are not necessarily encouraged, but it is allowed.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 11:05:20 AM »
so why would we do this rather than just allowing 2 characters per IP?

Because 2 chars per IP can also effectively pk and cr. The idea of someone losing their NPC's in a massrip so that the CR is even harder/impossible strikes me as funny as an anvil falling on a coyote's head.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:02:42 PM by gnua »

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
Actually the way I am envisioning it is that people would be able to have multiple adventurers to choose from. They would however be limited to 1 per person per group (4 pc + 4 adventurers, 6 pc only 2 can bring adventurers). They would be a backup feature to enable you to fill a group when you can't find people, not a function to base a clan around. So if you mass rip, and lose 1 adventurer each you go and get another one...
I am not seeing them as a super power but rather a substitute that is going to be weaker than any basic char, hence they won't be taking group slots from people... More as an assistance for small groups...

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
So if you mass rip, and lose 1 adventurer each you go and get another one...

The idea of someone bringing increasingly unsuited and weaker NPC's on a CR reminds me even more of Wile. E. Coyote's attempts to snare the roaddrunner. Adventurous Krynn Mercenary Enterprises? Ansalon Kender Mishakal Ellistan? This might be fun to watch.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »
I like the idea, I also feel that:

-You should be able to level up your NPC
-You should be able to equip your npc (maybe lim 3 items and over)
-If you rent, your npc leaves the game with you and whatever gear its equipping is added to your rent costs

A system akin to this would definitely allow for more customization and would hopefully add a new breath of life into the game which it surely needs.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »
I like those changes as well, but to me, all that is is allowing people to play 2 characters at once with the 2ndary character being limited.  It's like saying no, I didnt commit adultery (allowing botting/multiing), we just had oral sex.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »
I like those changes as well, but to me, all that is is allowing people to play 2 characters at once with the 2ndary character being limited.  It's like saying no, I didnt commit adultery (allowing botting/multiing), we just had oral sex.

Are you comparing Arctic to the DNC Internship program?