Author Topic: Punishments for breaking rules  (Read 3243 times)

suf

Punishments for breaking rules
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:01:22 PM »
I would like to suggest that the idea of abyssing, pzapping, and deleting characters as the primary form of punishment for breaking rules (of whatever sort) is a bit short sighted.

Some of the most interesting times I've had on the mud were the result of some arbitrary and capricious action by some higher level immortal.

I've had my strength changed to 3 (or maybe 1?) for about a day. It made it very hard to even carry enough food and water not to starve!

I've also had some immortal make the Noom fight much harder by replacing the demons with gray dragons and possibly controlling Noom to some extent.

I've had tons of fun fighting immortal character/mobs clearly overpowered for a typical character, but not so overpowered (or holding themselves back) to kill an entire group instantly!

What I would suggest is to have many levels of "punishment" that make the game harder without actually preventing the player from "playing" the character in some manner.

If as an immortal you find a group of bot characters, instead of abyssing or deleting the characters, why not inflict some sorts of plagues and pestilences upon the characters? Make one suffer from debilitating weakness, slowly make it lose actual permanent strength (such that spells and items that increase strength have no effect). Curse a caster by drastically decreasing the concentration of a caster over a period of time.

I would also suggest immortals dealing with people or clans that are being absolute dicks by "harassing" them or "playing against them" in some limited manner for a period of time. Do it with the possibility of your "character" dying and the dicks winning in any single instance. The key would be in general to not go too far.

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
Re: Punishments for breaking rules
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
No, under any circumstance.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
I like this idea a lot but if it happened I would like it to show up in the effected by area in the score. This would be cool for the being a massive jerk rule

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:00:43 PM »
I was laughing so hard, I farted a little.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 12:41:21 PM »
Ermm.. doesn't this already kinda happen anyway? I have had friends (and some not so friends) suffer under "mysterious" maladies (such as their char sucking hard suddenly ect.) that either eventually went away on their own or some high imm took a look at and commented that it was "odd" and odd in a way that doesn't mean it's a bug lol

xellos

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:16:31 PM by xellos »

xellos

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »
ass hat policy covers everyone?