Author Topic: removing the who list..  (Read 4740 times)

Bryton

• Zoner
removing the who list..
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:08:43 PM »
 I think I might like the idea of removing the who list. It would make the game way more intense not knowing if evils where on.

Removes trash relocate and summon pk attempts.

Track/hunt/temp path would need to be buffed though.

gulca

• Zone Leader
Re: removing the who list..
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:16:08 PM »
Didn't this got the "implemented it, didn't work as plan, revert back" pile awhile back?

Here is some points why it might be a bad idea for non pk scenario.

1. who list shows a warm fuzzy feel to the mud in general. You type who and get to see there are 30 or more people in the same world. This is especially important to neutral and new people in general where they don't log onto irc or skype channels.

2. How do you find other people to group?

3. How do you find people to kill if people never enter town area.

4. And if I own a who list analyzer, how do I find other ppl's multies? <- joking :)

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »
i very much like the idea of no who list.  the only problem is people will make a list of everyone they have ever seen in the game and make a script to check for every single one.  i'd even make 'who mumu' not work.  if they want to know you are on let them to tell to you so you both know what is up.

Didn't this got the "implemented it, didn't work as plan, revert back" pile awhile back?

Here is some points why it might be a bad idea for non pk scenario.

1. who list shows a warm fuzzy feel to the mud in general. You type who and get to see there are 30 or more people in the same world. This is especially important to neutral and new people in general where they don't log onto irc or skype channels.

2. How do you find other people to group?

3. How do you find people to kill if people never enter town area.

1.  there is no reason to remove the 'total players online: 30'.  leave that in and you can still have the fuzzy feeling.

2.  finding a group might become more of a problem.  you could still shout for a group but youd have to reveal yourself.  if you have specific people you like to group with and dont want to shout you could try telling to each of them.

3.  i think this is a big part of the reason this change would be good.  it becomes possible to level up unknowns in secret from your enemies and prevents randomings.  how can they kill you if they dont know you are on?

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:40:43 PM »
When you type who it could still say the imms currently on and the amount of people, but just no names..

decrease the shout timer, so you can shout for help/groups more often..

You would have to wander and find groups in zones our near Towns, create a list ect..
Or when you type who it would bring up...

Immortals
Hoss

Clans on:
<Wild>   (5)
<myth> (8)

Total people visible 40.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »
ya the removal of the who list would shake stuff up, I'd find it interesting. As somebody mentioned, it could definitely nullify a lot of the summoning and tether bombing.

I'd imagine the clan who would still work obviously.

And maybe add a friends list

And of course the LFG idea is already implemented and so the LFG people should show up

And of course, track\hunt\temp path needs to be fixed

DCPTY1986

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 03:52:36 PM »
I really like this idea as well for everything that was mentioned, it will make clan ambushes and clan battles much more interesting. It will force clans to fight with what they have rather than waiting for that healer/basher/mage.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:56:25 PM by DCPTY1986 »

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
Only problem I see with this idea is it destroys the social element. You get to a few months into the wipe, people are less active and with a who list you actually just randomly chat to people and get some groups started. Shouting want to group tends not to get responses...

Just throwing out a random thought, perhaps people in towns show up on the who list, those outside of town don't...

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:14:52 PM »
How do you brilliant men get around the following with a No Who List:

Highlights: Ilankinstien, Kir, Chorillo, Veigar, Kiljarn, Rama, Pinster

#al {tellenemyhi} {tell ilankinstien .; tell kir .;tell chorillo .;tell veigar .;tell kiljarn .;tell rama .;tell pinster .}?

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »
How do you brilliant men get around the following with a No Who List:

Highlights: Ilankinstien, Kir, Chorillo, Veigar, Kiljarn, Rama, Pinster

#al {tellenemyhi} {tell ilankinstien .; tell kir .;tell chorillo .;tell veigar .;tell kiljarn .;tell rama .;tell pinster .}?

option busy, friend tell?

sart

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 10:46:42 PM »
opt busy would still give Reed his answer if you are on or not...

Opt no_tell is your friend.

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
i like the idea of removing the who list. to form groups people can shout and although currently this doesn't get much of a response, i think it would change considering it may be your only opportunity to group.  who knows.

1 issue that may arise with removing the who list is Inn camping bots.  The people who create these look at everyone entering the game and note them.   A possible fix for this would be that people who enter the game of arctic are not visible to others until they either move x amount of rooms or x amount of time has surpassed.  This needs more elaboration, but i would like to see inn camping addressed if the who list is in fact removed.

The easiest way to multi is through the use of a smart phone and it would be very easy to set up a bot on your smartphone to inn camp and not have it connected to you.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:47:36 PM »
I'm not really a fan of the idea to be perfectly honest.

There are other ways that would better serve the general purpose of removing it that would also address the reason why some would see it as a good idea to remove it. The biggest issues involve using the list to spam summon/relo and to generally make life hell for someone else simple because they decided to play the game, and those can and should be addressed in other ways that don't involve removing something as simple as the who list that can fairly easily be worked around for those causing the issues.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
opt busy would still give Reed his answer if you are on or not...

Opt no_tell is your friend.

I'm sure the immortals know how to change messages so that people cannot tell the difference between players who are logged on and not. Though this brings back memories the days when one could swap to a mob to see if a zone had popped.