Author Topic: PK Reaction Time vs Escaping  (Read 4283 times)

Dyl

• Zoner
PK Reaction Time vs Escaping
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »
Whats the goal here?  Giving enough reaction time for people to be able to recall?  Because, if thats the case then I see a bunch of people failing PK over and over and getting just as frustrated as the people who were frustrated dying.

gulca

• Zone Leader
Re: PK Reaction Time vs Escaping
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »
I think the best pk scenario

1. Both sides will stay and fight till one side is clearly having an advantage

So we don't have an immediate need to recall from any aggression, and no need to plan for alpha kill anyone in any fight.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:19:20 PM »
Sure - I'm just pointing out that recall scrolls are going to have to be examined too if you are going to make fights last longer... otherwise no one is ever going to die.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »
wont increasing character hitpoints and saving throws make battles last longer?

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »
Yes........ which is why recall should be tweaked.  What is the original intent of making the fights longer?

1) to allow people to escape with their shit?
2) to allow for more tactics/even the score even if you got targeted by three people?

If its #1, I'm curious why.
If its #2, then allowing people so much more time to recall is going to end with a lot of 2-3 minute fights with lots of fleeing and zero deaths because everyone is able to recall with 1/3 their hps still.

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »
Nothing is off the table, but obviously recalls are going to have to change in some way.

It is more about #2 Dyl.   I would like to see pk battles, ambushes included, last longer. I want the decision to escape to be made several rounds before you actually escape.  This requires people living longer, maybe even low levels.

We have higher hit points across the board on our list as well.

Bottom line:  We want PK to happen.  We want people to be able to actually achieve the kill. We want people to have an escape option.  Details are hazy around all of these still.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 06:01:22 PM »
I don't see how both can exist at the same time.

People that don't want to fight will recall at the first chance. Making death impossible for the first round means exactly that. That means the aggressors will think of every possible way to make fights 1 round no escape, and thus back to square one.

You've got to give incentive for people (that doesn't want to pk) to actually take part in a pk scenario. 

Here is some idea though.

1. Recalling with aggressor flag will cause fumble chance. One or more of your equiped items may fall to the ground. Fumble chance decays the more rounds you stay in combat.
- this makes instant recall a "bad" choice, but hey you get to escape with most of your items.

2. Limit the amount of damage per round per person per damage type to 15% of total hp. This means you cannot one round a char with 10 ppl with weapon or spells.

3. A more realistic version of #2 is to spread all damage-types over rounds. Something like rotting flesh. Once you have a spell casted on you, you will take dam over rounds. Any similar spell will not affect the user. Dam per round will be dependent on class/saves and so is no of rounds the damage will last.

sart

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »
@ Gulca

1. Recalling with aggressor flag will cause fumble chance. One or more of your equiped items may fall to the ground. Fumble chance decays the more rounds you stay in combat.
- this makes instant recall a "bad" choice, but hey you get to escape with most of your items.

Love this idea..

Hate the rest.  max stab would be what on a mage then..

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 03:31:45 AM »
Actually seb that is a pretty damned solid idea... having a small penalty for instantly recalling with the chances of fumbling decreasing per round of battle somehow would be a solid way to prevent the instant recalling. Instantly recalling having like and 80% chance of dropping 1-2 worn item randomly besides your prime would definatly make people take fighting an enemy into consideration rather than just instantly recalling. and perhaps going down like 20% a round in chances of dropping.
I think the size of the group attacking you should probably have something to do with the ratio but if 2 people in group "a" hit 2 people in group "b" and group "b" instantly recalled.... blam 2 nice pieces of gear for group "a" that put the effort into tracking them down. and let that be a lesson to keep your head up kinda deal. certain spells like relocate though or summon should have a 0% chance of making a player fumble. perhaps different types of flags would have to be made but all in all that is for sure a solid way to make pk last longer AND give the would be pk style players a little somethin somethin also..

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 07:25:57 AM »
I think the fumble idea has merit...but there does need to be a flag for summon.  Otherwise, rather than kill you for your gear a clan would just sit 1 east of their inn and keep summoning you till you fumbled yourself naked.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »
I actually type the wrong intention, aggressor is not what I meant.

I was thinking more in terms of melee flag. If you have "melee flag" and "no quit flag", and you recall, fumble chance kicks in.

Melee flag appears when you first get into combat with cool down timer of 12 sec.

It decays every second, and fumble chance from recall is a directly proportional to your melee flag time.

You can only get max of one melee flag. And you gain melee flag only when you have none to start with.

So summon flag won't cause any fumble chance.

Fleeing and recalling won't stop you from fumble chance. You have to wait out the flag before recalling if you don't want fumble chance, ie run for 12 secs :).

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »
I like the fumble idea, the balancing details and conditions will need to be worked out, but I can also see making some of the unique and elite items auto-fumble or high-fumble. Could also have some flavors of recall suited towards fast escape (perhaps even usable when locked down) with high fumble chance and other suited towards zoning which has low or no fumble but is easily disrupted/countered/locked.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »
Where is all this info coming from? Is there a thread im missing somewhere?