Author Topic: carebear vs hard-core pk  (Read 4187 times)

sart

carebear vs hard-core pk
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »
I am starting my own string so I dont hijack or get deleted on this.

I am sick of people saying today that not wanting bots is carebear.  Not cheating doesn't make one a carebear it simply makes them fair to the other players.

I have no problem with PK.  In fact the boards pissed me off earlier and I killed a couple.. sorry (its not you, its me).  I did not suggest splitting the mud to get away from pk.  I suggested it because it would fail... fast and hard.  You would see in a couple months that no one would play the pk enabled, bot allowed mud.  The true players would be where the rules were enforced.  The other instance would be used for massive one time chaotic slaughters between 2 people and a thousand bots.

You aren't hardcore because you bot.  You aren't a better player because you bot.  You don't win because you bot.  Yeah you may get better gear/spells from it.  But you're not better.  Some of us that dont cheat.. would show you up fast if it was allowed openly.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
Re: carebear vs hard-core pk
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:24:15 PM »
Amen.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »
I hate cheaters too, but the problem is, many don't see botting as cheating anymore. Botting policy was not enforced at all during the time that Aristox and Hoss were gone from the mud, and many players fell in love with it. Everybody was doing it, so everybody was on a level playing field, so nobody felt like they were cheating. I agree that people using bots to pk 1-2 guys or small clans who play by the rules is very unfair. That happened to me about 5x from the finns, and its when I decided that if they were allowed to do bot, I might as well too, so I have a chance at defending myself. The problem is that botting is indoctrinated now into many players and its not going away. So please understand, I did not bot this wipe, and I felt the huge difference in enjoyment. Constantly stressing about finding a main tank, having enough healers, dealing with people going afk randomly etc is rough. With bots you can just zone and enjoy the game drama free. I am pretty sure the only people who say they HATE botters, and are truly against botting, are people who hold grudges over being killed by bots, and or people who have never botted themselves to see how much more fun it can be. Keeping botting illegal in its current state will do nothing but make the guys who play by the rules get demolished by the people who do not.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 08:11:13 PM »
playing more than one character by hand is quite difficult, especially in crisis situations.

i've always been pro playing more than one character when its human controlled. i've never scripted or "botted" as such, i don't use triggers to control either characters actions.  i guess i'm just multi-ing basically. i've been flamed for it and labelled a cheater, and that's fine. have you ever actually tried to play multiple characters by hand in a difficult fight or when you get ambushed? i can tell you, its no easy feat and neither character will be nearly as efficient as when a human is controlling one sole character. i literally have to move my mouse, click the other window, type some shit, move it back to the other window, do another thing, etc etc.

the point im trying to make is that i think that autobot style scripted things that control themselves are inherently bad. in a way i think allowing that sort of "botting" (which i think is the definition of a bot, something which controls itself) would basically follow the plot of terminator where the machines rise up against their creators and take over the world or some shit. that said, if you have the skill to control two characters (or three if you're some sort of jedi) then i don't see an issue personally. they'll never be as good as a human, and everyone i know would gladly have a human playing one character over their multi.   i actually get a headache from playing two characters for long periods because it's mentally taxing - especially when leading.

edit: i put this in the wrong thread. my bad.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:15:01 PM by daniel_1 »

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »
I am starting my own string so I dont hijack or get deleted on this.

I am sick of people saying today that not wanting bots is carebear.  Not cheating doesn't make one a carebear it simply makes them fair to the other players.

I have no problem with PK.  In fact the boards pissed me off earlier and I killed a couple.. sorry (its not you, its me).  I did not suggest splitting the mud to get away from pk.  I suggested it because it would fail... fast and hard.  You would see in a couple months that no one would play the pk enabled, bot allowed mud.  The true players would be where the rules were enforced.  The other instance would be used for massive one time chaotic slaughters between 2 people and a thousand bots.

You aren't hardcore because you bot.  You aren't a better player because you bot.  You don't win because you bot.  Yeah you may get better gear/spells from it.  But you're not better.  Some of us that dont cheat.. would show you up fast if it was allowed openly.

why even bring pk into it if that wasnt your point?  create 2 arctics 1 just as it is now and 1 with multis/bots allowed.  now which one will thrive? 

sart

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 10:10:42 AM »
why even bring pk into it if that wasnt your point?  create 2 arctics 1 just as it is now and 1 with multis/bots allowed.  now which one will thrive? 

As someone who tools around with Seb and scripts myself, I would still say the one with bots disallowed.  This mainly because it will get out of control.  How long would it take me to level up X fraggers while controlling a barbarian at the head.  I use "X" because this number using scripts for control could literally be 100.