Author Topic: Idea:Clairvoyance should only flag when the victem saves and sees the messaging.  (Read 2280 times)

Kir

• Zoner
Clairvoyance is a historic arctic mud spell. 20 years ago if your clan had a mage and they got Clairvoyance it was almost as good as getting prism. When the robed system was first introduced, Clairvoyance was broken and didnt work for a very long time and graciously some coder fixed the issue and now Clairvoyance works pretty well. The issue I have with the spell is that it puts a 15 minute flag on the caster 100% of the time, (whether you landed a successful clair or not, whether the victim saves or doesn't save etc). Now it might seem reasonable that clair should always flag but the issue is that with the current mechanics of the game its very obvious to anybody with half a brain whats going on whether they save or not. Explanation: With specialized robes, theres just not that many people with high level red robes. If you see a red robe flagged by himself, you know 100% he is using the spell Clairvoyance. Now that everybody can play 2 characters at once, theres never going to be an instance where a red robe tries to solo pk somebody so if the red robe was flagged due to pk, he wouldn't be the only person flagged. So basically whether you landed a save or not is irrelevant. All you need to do is check the who list and if there is a flagged red robe you can be 100% certain he's trying to ascertain a location. And by any basic knowledge of the current political structure you can figure out who said mage is Clairvoyancing rather easily.

My solution to this situation: Please only flag the caster of the spell Clairvoyance if the victim lands a saving throw. And for historical reference, pre robed mages Clairvoyance didn't flag at all.
Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 12:59:18 PM by Kir »

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
An* historical!

Anyway, it's an aggressive action, just like steal, case, etc. If you do it for one, you have to do it for all.

I'm split. I don't think it should flag but I also don't care for the pvp aspect anymore.

Tajs

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Dun mir
or the very least not flag if "the magic fails" - that's just weird!

Bro

• Immortal
  • Favorite Zone: Thieves Den
An* historical!

This is not correct, btw. I may be missing some joke here though.

corey

• Zone Leader
An* historical!

This is not correct, btw. I may be missing some joke here though.

it actually is

Bro

• Immortal
  • Favorite Zone: Thieves Den
It apparently has evolved to be either (due to misusage oddly enough), but it's unnecessary to be "an". If the "h" sound was silent like in honor, honest, hour etc, "an" would be correct by rule.

oom

• Immortal
  • Zoner
Corey = Dan Quayle?

An potatoe anyone?

Kir

• Zoner
It apparently has evolved to be either (due to misusage oddly enough), but it's unnecessary to be "an". If the "h" sound was silent like in honor, honest, hour etc, "an" would be correct by rule.

Glad we could got this sorted. As for clairvoyance.. I suggest is only if person saved vs the spell should you be flagged. Also I do not love the fact that it automatically fails and flags if the person is in nomagic.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
Here's an idea: agreed, current implementation of Clair is flawed, and has been since robes were written.

So, let's remove it.

Reds need to move away from the pk-oriented class they were originally written as, a class that suited the needs of a pvp-happy 2000s playerbase, but which is dated and no longer necessary nor desired.

Other than a return of astral locator, what spell effects might we add to Red in lieu of certain pk-specific utility like Clair, which serve needs  the playerbase as a whole doesn't really have anymore? A few of the Red spells fit under this same category of non-zoning or pk-specific utility.  Let's change them to zoning utility, and make the red robe a viable zoning robe with efficacy equal to whites/blacks in that arena, the arena in which most of us spend 90% of our time.

Ideas in regards to what this utility might be?

Kir

• Zoner
Here's an idea: agreed, current implementation of Clair is flawed, and has been since robes were written.

So, let's remove it.

Reds need to move away from the pk-oriented class they were originally written as, a class that suited the needs of a pvp-happy 2000s playerbase, but which is dated and no longer necessary nor desired.

Other than a return of astral locator, what spell effects might we add to Red in lieu of certain pk-specific utility like Clair, which serve needs  the playerbase as a whole doesn't really have anymore? A few of the Red spells fit under this same category of non-zoning or pk-specific utility.  Let's change them to zoning utility, and make the red robe a viable zoning robe with efficacy equal to whites/blacks in that arena, the arena in which most of us spend 90% of our time.

Ideas in regards to what this utility might be?

Well just because the pkillers were driven from the game by poor policies of previous administrations does not mean they will not return in the future if the game becomes favorable to pkilling again. And without clair I really dont know how you would find an enemy group outside of trash relocaters. Hunt\track doesnt work 90% of the time if the opponents are in high zones. Temp path leads to solace square most of the time or fails. Teleport was made group\clan only. Clair is a classic spell and deserves to work!

Lloth

• God
  • Fodder
Hunt works perfectly fine. It should take someone no more than 5-10 minutes to scour the game and find a group with it. Maybe getting hunt higher than poor and actually looking at 'zones I think they would be in' could help.

Kir

• Zoner
Hunt works perfectly fine. It should take someone no more than 5-10 minutes to scour the game and find a group with it. Maybe getting hunt higher than poor and actually looking at 'zones I think they would be in' could help.

Ok off the top of my head: zones hunt wont work when a group is inside:
Ancient
Peorx
Khegar
Deadwell
Shadow
Dracos
Dun Mir
Largus
Luni
Mithas
HCT
Pax tharkas
Silvi
Time of twins
Skullcap
Temple of takhisis
Storms

And Im sure there are many more. Yes if you go deep inside those zones with hunt it will work but its not practical to check every zone in the game looking for a group.

corey

• Zone Leader

Ok off the top of my head: zones hunt wont work when a group is inside:
Ancient
Peorx
Khegar
Deadwell
Shadow
Dracos
Dun Mir
Largus
Luni
Mithas
HCT
Pax tharkas
Silvi
Time of twins
Skullcap
Temple of takhisis
Storms

And Im sure there are many more. Yes if you go deep inside those zones with hunt it will work but its not practical to check every zone in the game looking for a group.

Then don't? You can check those zones really fast
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 03:50:05 PM by corey »

Tajs

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Dun mir
I'm with Kir on this, what's the problem with clair actually working?

Yes, you can check those zones with hunt og legend white robe locates etc, but it's slooow and requires a lot of effort (I know, I've tried finding ppl this wipe). Flagged clairer and a (potential) msg is a clear sign/warning of a clair... and gives you plenty of time to react.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
I agree with tajs and kir. Clair shouldn't flag at all, just have a cast cooldown on the mage. Passing the save should still warn the target  / room.