Author Topic: how is randoming still a thing in this game?  (Read 4014 times)

gulca

• Zone Leader
Re: how is randoming still a thing in this game?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2021, 08:14:09 PM »
"pvp" is so stupid in this game. 

a spelled mage can just relocate to me wherever i am in an instant and have both of my guys cc'd before i know what is happening.  there is nothing sporting or interesting about it.  its an execution.  and then after i re-enter the game he kindly lets me know he didnt loot.  he didnt even want my stuff.  so why did he do it? 

even if i wanted to fight back (which i dont) the power gap between him and me is so huge i would never be able to kill him.  and if i tried it would probably just excite him making him kill me more and more.

you cant even call this pvp.  this is more like a full grown man seeing some kids having fun playing basketball so he takes their ball and kicks it onto the roof.  because making them suffer is fun.  and what can the kids do to him really?  in this park that kind of behavior is allowed.

its pretty rare to get randomed in this way, but it doesnt feel good. if i want to keep playing this game i have to just cross my fingers that maybe no one will kill me today.  while at any moment on a whim, a sociopath can just come and destroy my fun in seconds.  Or i can just go play basketball somewhere else.

Well, if somebody relocated to you, they were lagged for an entire round giving you time to perform an action against that player. You either have to bash\lag\stun them or recall. Fight or flight. Arctic for the time being is still a game that requires some skill and quick thinking. I have gotten pked this wipe to two black robes relocating to my group. It sucks when you aren't paying attention and dont react quick enough but it is indeed on you. The immortals have added several ways to combat being nightmared but depending on your classes you may not have the right setup to counter them. If you dont, you need to be aware of who is logged on the game and where the danger lies. Arctic is only fun when danger is involved. The game is waaaayyy too simple from a pvE aspect without the pvp. The game was designed around pvp, not pvE. You cannot be an elite player in arctic without having at least a strong awareness of how to avoid\react to being attacked. Every old school player in this game has been pked more times than they can count. Im sure ive died in pk over 200-500 times. Learn from your mistakes and improve.

I think what is lacking is a disclaimer and a expectation set for casual new players. A warning of some sort so that hours and hours of game time doesn’t disappear in a couple rounds of meaningless pk overkill.

In this case, the public stance is ignorance is not an excuse. Playing this game and  ignoring the existence of randomers that might and will take all your effort from you in 4 seconds flat is unwise.

How does a normal player deal with this? Some already gave their advice. For a peaceful zoning group to coexist with others, you need as many survival techniques:
1. Be efficient in leveling from ground up. The more technical you are in leveling from lvl 1 and from a DT, the faster you are in getting back to the same moment you got pk or Dt or death in zone.
2. Be friendly to different clans. Most randomers have been around and been in your shoes. If you know his main char, its less likely you will get hit.
3. It is also easier to get access to xp and ranks and items if you are good with other clans. All you need is an access to easy coins.
4. Have 2 sets of characters. One for exploring unknowns and one for popping items. That way, you can be caught idling trying to solve a zone and not worry about losing good items.
5. Have triggers that auto recall whenever someone aggros you. Especially relo or casting spell. Better be safe than sorry.
6. Many players will tell you, knowledge is more important than a few unrecoverable deaths. Again this goes back to #1. You need to be efficient and keep the leveling as procedural as possible. Make a plan of all the things you need to hit from level 1 to legend.
7. Lastly, this game will never get rid of the pk mechanic. You need to take the precautions on your side to enjoy this game. It’s not that bad really.

Hope you will stay around with your friends.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 12:34:13 PM »
"pvp" is so stupid in this game. 

a spelled mage can just relocate to me wherever i am in an instant and have both of my guys cc'd before i know what is happening.  there is nothing sporting or interesting about it.  its an execution.  and then after i re-enter the game he kindly lets me know he didnt loot.  he didnt even want my stuff.  so why did he do it? 

even if i wanted to fight back (which i dont) the power gap between him and me is so huge i would never be able to kill him.  and if i tried it would probably just excite him making him kill me more and more.

you cant even call this pvp.  this is more like a full grown man seeing some kids having fun playing basketball so he takes their ball and kicks it onto the roof.  because making them suffer is fun.  and what can the kids do to him really?  in this park that kind of behavior is allowed.

its pretty rare to get randomed in this way, but it doesnt feel good. if i want to keep playing this game i have to just cross my fingers that maybe no one will kill me today.  while at any moment on a whim, a sociopath can just come and destroy my fun in seconds.  Or i can just go play basketball somewhere else.

Well, if somebody relocated to you, they were lagged for an entire round giving you time to perform an action against that player. You either have to bash\lag\stun them or recall. Fight or flight. Arctic for the time being is still a game that requires some skill and quick thinking. I have gotten pked this wipe to two black robes relocating to my group. It sucks when you aren't paying attention and dont react quick enough but it is indeed on you. The immortals have added several ways to combat being nightmared but depending on your classes you may not have the right setup to counter them. If you dont, you need to be aware of who is logged on the game and where the danger lies. Arctic is only fun when danger is involved. The game is waaaayyy too simple from a pvE aspect without the pvp. The game was designed around pvp, not pvE. You cannot be an elite player in arctic without having at least a strong awareness of how to avoid\react to being attacked. Every old school player in this game has been pked more times than they can count. Im sure ive died in pk over 200-500 times. Learn from your mistakes and improve.

I think what is lacking is a disclaimer and a expectation set for casual new players. A warning of some sort so that hours and hours of game time doesn’t disappear in a couple rounds of meaningless pk overkill.

In this case, the public stance is ignorance is not an excuse. Playing this game and  ignoring the existence of randomers that might and will take all your effort from you in 4 seconds flat is unwise.

How does a normal player deal with this? Some already gave their advice. For a peaceful zoning group to coexist with others, you need as many survival techniques:
1. Be efficient in leveling from ground up. The more technical you are in leveling from lvl 1 and from a DT, the faster you are in getting back to the same moment you got pk or Dt or death in zone.
2. Be friendly to different clans. Most randomers have been around and been in your shoes. If you know his main char, its less likely you will get hit.
3. It is also easier to get access to xp and ranks and items if you are good with other clans. All you need is an access to easy coins.
4. Have 2 sets of characters. One for exploring unknowns and one for popping items. That way, you can be caught idling trying to solve a zone and not worry about losing good items.
5. Have triggers that auto recall whenever someone aggros you. Especially relo or casting spell. Better be safe than sorry.
6. Many players will tell you, knowledge is more important than a few unrecoverable deaths. Again this goes back to #1. You need to be efficient and keep the leveling as procedural as possible. Make a plan of all the things you need to hit from level 1 to legend.
7. Lastly, this game will never get rid of the pk mechanic. You need to take the precautions on your side to enjoy this game. It’s not that bad really.

Hope you will stay around with your friends.

I think your #5 is now illegal against the anti-trigger\botting rule isnt it? But Gulca makes a good point, much of this game is diplomacy. Nobody wants to kill a friend... well most dont anyway. And another thing to add, you may want to consider doing zones where you can lock yourself in the zone. Obviously thieves can pick their way in but most randomers will be way too lazy for that.

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 10:36:17 PM »
Ahh the good old days.

Do people not kill over zones anymore? I remember a number of my first encounters with the "random" kill was simply one player (or group) ambushing another to claim zoning rights.

I've killed, and been killed, for exp, ranks, and loads. If crap was up, and another group hopped into the zone...we were going to rumble. Same thing when solo popping some of the good stuff. Seems like these days multiple players in a zone is most often settle with apologies and tips of the hat instead of bashes and backstabs.

steve d

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 04:46:48 PM »
dead game now.   Players    : 6/1516

should have probably made pvp optional when it got stupid about 15 years ago and maybe some of the newer players stick around

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 05:29:59 PM »
dead game now.   Players    : 6/1516

should have probably made pvp optional when it got stupid about 15 years ago and maybe some of the newer players stick around

That kind of defeats the purpose of those who want to win the game by driving away all others and be the only ones able to play.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2022, 01:55:27 AM »
After 15 years, you’re still a whiny bitch..

Willoe

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2022, 05:17:55 AM »
@Bryton - Thanks for the chuckle!

JoeVilla

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2022, 08:08:57 PM »
I'll just never understand how people got in to Arctic knowing it was a PK mud and then preach for the end of PK. Bryton is right.

steve d

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2022, 09:18:25 PM »
I'll just never understand how people got in to Arctic knowing it was a PK mud and then preach for the end of PK. Bryton is right.

its a 20+ year old game friend.  many of us came to the game for the pvp and then stayed because it was actually a good game.  then over the years most of us grew out of wanting to make others suffer for our own amusement.  at that point we still love the game but we left because when you have no interest in pvp anymore, you are just playing game where assholes can come take your shit whenever they feel like it.  not really the game for me.

id come back if that part of the game was optional and i suspect others would too, but if the exciting "pvp" is still getting you hard after all these years then i can understand you wanting to keep it.

JoeVilla

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2022, 11:46:39 PM »

its a 20+ year old game friend.  many of us came to the game for the pvp and then stayed because it was actually a good game.  then over the years most of us grew out of wanting to make others suffer for our own amusement.  at that point we still love the game but we left because when you have no interest in pvp anymore, you are just playing game where assholes can come take your shit whenever they feel like it.  not really the game for me.

id come back if that part of the game was optional and i suspect others would too, but if the exciting "pvp" is still getting you hard after all these years then i can understand you wanting to keep it.

Then how are other players supposed to get lim 1 items or other highly coveted items if they don't PK? Keep up with decay timers and pray the other player gets lazy and sloppy(which is basically what we have now)? Ask nicely for the item? People love this game for its uniqueness and part of that is all the unique items but if I have to sit there and ask nicely or wait 30 days for playerX to decay their item that's just as boring and then this becomes a game that isn't for me.

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2022, 02:26:27 AM »
If someone like me can change their tune, anyone can.

"Limit" on items should be removed and in place given a lower % drop rate and longer decay. Let people do their shit. Most leave after a couple months anyway

Willoe

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2022, 04:53:05 AM »
@Corey +1

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2022, 07:36:43 PM »
Just site-ban all people you don't like, start everyone with a chaos bag, a statue at solace [] that you can bow to for 1M exp, walkthroughs for every zone, turn PK off, and hand out stimulus bags each week with 5M coins.