Author Topic: how is randoming still a thing in this game?  (Read 897 times)

steve d

how is randoming still a thing in this game?
« on: October 21, 2021, 10:19:52 PM »
"pvp" is so stupid in this game. 

a spelled mage can just relocate to me wherever i am in an instant and have both of my guys cc'd before i know what is happening.  there is nothing sporting or interesting about it.  its an execution.  and then after i re-enter the game he kindly lets me know he didnt loot.  he didnt even want my stuff.  so why did he do it? 

even if i wanted to fight back (which i dont) the power gap between him and me is so huge i would never be able to kill him.  and if i tried it would probably just excite him making him kill me more and more.

you cant even call this pvp.  this is more like a full grown man seeing some kids having fun playing basketball so he takes their ball and kicks it onto the roof.  because making them suffer is fun.  and what can the kids do to him really?  in this park that kind of behavior is allowed.

its pretty rare to get randomed in this way, but it doesnt feel good. if i want to keep playing this game i have to just cross my fingers that maybe no one will kill me today.  while at any moment on a whim, a sociopath can just come and destroy my fun in seconds.  Or i can just go play basketball somewhere else.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
Re: how is randoming still a thing in this game?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 12:05:25 AM »
Oh, my sweet summer child.  Be glad you didn't play when Rise, or Corey, or highlight by association pk were things.

Yes, it sucks to eat the random hit, and that guy was a duck for doing it.  But, it is a rarity these days. The imms have helped with this quite a bit after 25 years of "PK is holy, we must not interfere."

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 01:01:53 AM »
Oh, my sweet summer child.  Be glad you didn't play when Rise, or Corey, or highlight by association pk were things.

Yes, it sucks to eat the random hit, and that guy was a duck for doing it.  But, it is a rarity these days. The imms have helped with this quite a bit after 25 years of "PK is holy, we must not interfere."

Hey I'm still playing. You can call him old_Corey. Or young Corey, whatever you prefer. I don't do that anymore.

At least not as long as I'm not playing a thief...

steve d

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 06:19:37 AM »
i dont even really blame the player....well maybe a little bit.

but there are jerks in any game.  the real question is why is it allowed?  for the price of 2 ticks of mem one asshole can erase hours and hours of work from me with no risk and no consequences.   and he could do it again every day if he chose.  if i was stupid enough to keep playing that is.  i am expected to do what? beg this person for mercy?  or maybe just put my head down and continue playing and just accept that whenever they feel like it other players can to ruin my progress with little to no effort?

i cant even imagine how many players the game has lost to this. 

Episte

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 06:53:47 AM »
Randoming entertains some players. If you're over 12 realize like life you don't automatically win if you have good grades and ambition. Take those deaths and learn to be better or retire, but don't whine to make the game carebear mud

steve d

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 08:44:50 PM »
win?  i wasnt trying to win anything LOL.  your post is meant for someone who is in some kind of contest with someone and is crying because they lost.

what game was i playing against this guy?  im not even playing his game.  his game is not related to mine in any way.  im trying to play basketball with my friends and this guy is playing his own game where you sneak up and punch people in the face.

and then you come along and say 'well punching people in the face entertains some people.  you dont automatically win at basketball.'  what?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 09:36:46 PM by steve d »

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 12:52:31 AM »
Pk is down so much.. I don't see the real issue. You didn't lose anything but exp. Which you can make up in an hour or less. Yes it's a dick move. Stop crying about it. Rexp, and figure out either how to stay safe or recall or whatever.

steve d

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 05:00:16 AM »
we lost all our gear.  we were of kind of failing/exploring a zone we could only barely maybe do.  we had been in there for over an hour so i have no doubt it repopped.  we might have been able to fight back in naked and retrieve some of it before it decayed but maybe not.  good bit of our stuff was on the ground from a couple of previous wipes and certainly would have decayed before we made it back in.

thats not really the point though.  i dont want to play a progression game where i constantly have to be afraid that at any time someone can just type like 3 lines and completely destroy hours of progress.  i guess arctic just isnt for me.  its too bad because like you said its extremely rare for this to happen.  and i really love the other 99.99% of the game.  i just dont understand why that  0.01% still has to be included.

Nostramazos

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 12:13:53 PM »
Steve D. randomers are a specific breed of player. They have basic characteristics and intellectual capacities, ultimately stemming from the fact that playing a text-based game is a much needed release for them.

Maza Nostra has dedicated a specific branch of their organization to randomers. Typically, if we are randomed, we strike back, swiftly and with extreme prejudice. Then we log back in and shout obscenities and then if the randomers are coming again, we rent and log newbies and then we shout obscenities again, it is a bulletproof plan really.

Go beyond the random menace. Read through the lines. For every reply you received in this thread that said ''stop crying'', there is a randomer crying. For every reply you received that said ''be a better player'', there is a randomer who has seen the Last Dance, wants the MJ mentality but sucks at any sport. I am talking about a PIR at least -15. That blows. They do sweat a lot though, which would make them a Covid menace too.

So there. I hope this helps to make sense of them. They around, they are lonely, and if the pizza doesn't come on time, they random.

Nostramazos
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 12:15:25 PM by Nostramazos »

mpriki

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 01:59:45 PM »
There are a dozen of solutions.
What i hate the most is log pew pew and log off , i cant deal with that . Stay there like a man.

I really hate snipe and leave , tactics .

Willoe

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 05:13:09 PM »
Pew Pew!

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 07:45:52 AM »
Sorry, yeah, I meant Old.Corey, or randoming Corey. :) The version prior to the currently, friendly zoning Corey. Lost a few sets to Old.Corey. :)

Hey I'm still playing. You can call him old_Corey. Or young Corey, whatever you prefer. I don't do that anymore.

At least not as long as I'm not playing a thief...

Jang Yoo Sung

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Storms Keep
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 05:17:14 AM »
i dont even really blame the player....well maybe a little bit.

but there are jerks in any game.  the real question is why is it allowed?  for the price of 2 ticks of mem one asshole can erase hours and hours of work from me with no risk and no consequences.   and he could do it again every day if he chose.  if i was stupid enough to keep playing that is.  i am expected to do what? beg this person for mercy?  or maybe just put my head down and continue playing and just accept that whenever they feel like it other players can to ruin my progress with little to no effort?

i cant even imagine how many players the game has lost to this.

to be fair...that guy prolly put in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more hours than you did bro
you will learn to recall when someone relos to you and learn to highlight randomers so that when they come on you are more careful
or maybe join a clan they will protect you or you can hire corey as a mercenary

mpriki

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 03:11:16 PM »
Or hire me .i will set for operation "human shield" .
While i am dying you only have to recall fast

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 03:11:00 PM »
"pvp" is so stupid in this game. 

a spelled mage can just relocate to me wherever i am in an instant and have both of my guys cc'd before i know what is happening.  there is nothing sporting or interesting about it.  its an execution.  and then after i re-enter the game he kindly lets me know he didnt loot.  he didnt even want my stuff.  so why did he do it? 

even if i wanted to fight back (which i dont) the power gap between him and me is so huge i would never be able to kill him.  and if i tried it would probably just excite him making him kill me more and more.

you cant even call this pvp.  this is more like a full grown man seeing some kids having fun playing basketball so he takes their ball and kicks it onto the roof.  because making them suffer is fun.  and what can the kids do to him really?  in this park that kind of behavior is allowed.

its pretty rare to get randomed in this way, but it doesnt feel good. if i want to keep playing this game i have to just cross my fingers that maybe no one will kill me today.  while at any moment on a whim, a sociopath can just come and destroy my fun in seconds.  Or i can just go play basketball somewhere else.

Well, if somebody relocated to you, they were lagged for an entire round giving you time to perform an action against that player. You either have to bash\lag\stun them or recall. Fight or flight. Arctic for the time being is still a game that requires some skill and quick thinking. I have gotten pked this wipe to two black robes relocating to my group. It sucks when you aren't paying attention and dont react quick enough but it is indeed on you. The immortals have added several ways to combat being nightmared but depending on your classes you may not have the right setup to counter them. If you dont, you need to be aware of who is logged on the game and where the danger lies. Arctic is only fun when danger is involved. The game is waaaayyy too simple from a pvE aspect without the pvp. The game was designed around pvp, not pvE. You cannot be an elite player in arctic without having at least a strong awareness of how to avoid\react to being attacked. Every old school player in this game has been pked more times than they can count. Im sure ive died in pk over 200-500 times. Learn from your mistakes and improve.