ArcticMUD > General Discussion

Dear immortal staff, please consider the return of the skill FLANK

(1/3) > >>

Kir:
About 15ish years ago, when legend was added to the game, legendary thieves received the skill Flank. Flank allowed thieves who were out of combat to basically backstab mobs or players that were already in combat with slightly less damage than a backstab. This allowed thieves who persevered all the way to legend to have a powerful character. It made thieves very relevant in high end zoning as well as high level pk. Unfortunately somebody decided to remove the skill and add coup instead. I have played a legend thief with coup and was severely disappointed. I and many others feel thieves (with the loss of non-combat fade) have been nerfed into uselessness. I do agree that you can have an elite thief for high level zoning however that is completely gear dependent. I agree that characters like Katarina are powerful, but honestly that is the exception (based on elite gear) and not the rule. I have no access to the data but I would make a very educated guess that thieves one of the least represented classes due to their lack of power in groups. I would definitely never allow a thief into a pk group currently and their ability to solo pk, ie fade stab somebody dead is made completely irrelevant by the 60% damage debuff in pvp. You'd have to stab a character like 3-4 times to kill them and they are definitely going to recall prior to that. Flank would allow elite players to really make plays in 8v8 pk and would be a welcome change to the current bash\area spam meta that has been prevalent forever. Thanks for reading.

Gnua:
I'm completely ignorant of thieves. What are the differences in how coup and flank work?

Kir:

--- Quote from: Gnua on September 14, 2021, 02:58:30 PM ---I'm completely ignorant of thieves. What are the differences in how coup and flank work?

--- End quote ---

For coup to work, you have to assist or be engaged in combat, use the skill coup, and then if it lands you can backstab for severly reduced damage.
For flank, you are out of combat and you type flank whoever and it does near backstab damage regardless of if the opponent is in combat or not. Originally, flank could be used on mobiles that were no_stab, So thieves could be used in big fights. Coup does not work on no_back stab mobiles. Flank basically allows a thief to instantly backstab anybody, regardless of if they are in combat or not.

gulca:
With coup, you assist. Assist lag. Then coup. Then stab which can miss which you can try again next round. At least 3-4 rounds. I think once you coup stab, you need to wait for next coup before you can stab in combat again.

Gnua:

--- Quote from: Kir on September 14, 2021, 03:12:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: Gnua on September 14, 2021, 02:58:30 PM ---I'm completely ignorant of thieves. What are the differences in how coup and flank work?

--- End quote ---

For coup to work, you have to assist or be engaged in combat, use the skill coup, and then if it lands you can backstab for severly reduced damage.
For flank, you are out of combat and you type flank whoever and it does near backstab damage regardless of if the opponent is in combat or not. Originally, flank could be used on mobiles that were no_stab, So thieves could be used in big fights. Coup does not work on no_back stab mobiles. Flank basically allows a thief to instantly backstab anybody, regardless of if they are in combat or not.

--- End quote ---

what if flank came back but didnt work on no_stab mobs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version