Author Topic: Alt Classes  (Read 3210 times)

reed23

• Zone Leader
Alt Classes
« on: August 05, 2021, 02:40:50 PM »
It seems that thiefs, scouts, DKs, and even mages have a hard time finding their way into groups because of the 8 man limit. 

Proposal - increase group limit to 9 if one of the above classes is part of the group.  If you only have barb/paladin, healer, shaman, druid, basher, etc., group limit stays at 8.

This kind of system actually happened back in the day when group limits were 12, but if the leader of the group was lvl 30, the group limit was expanded to 13.

I haven't seen a thief/scout in a group in years.  The classes are fun to play but aren't nearly as effective as others.

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
Re: Alt Classes
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 02:29:43 AM »
It seems that thiefs, scouts, DKs, and even mages have a hard time finding their way into groups because of the 8 man limit. 

Proposal - increase group limit to 9 if one of the above classes is part of the group.  If you only have barb/paladin, healer, shaman, druid, basher, etc., group limit stays at 8.

This kind of system actually happened back in the day when group limits were 12, but if the leader of the group was lvl 30, the group limit was expanded to 13.

I haven't seen a thief/scout in a group in years.  The classes are fun to play but aren't nearly as effective as others.

We regularly had these classes in our groups and did all the content. Maybe it's just class choice in your friend circle?

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 07:13:51 PM »
You've brought a thief/scout to Cyan?

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 08:16:58 PM »
Scouts have tanked Cyan.

Nom

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 09:42:23 PM »
So have mages and druids...for half a round.

Caine

• Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 09:49:28 PM »
I could go both ways on this. If we're talking about 'normal' zoning in easy areas, then I don't think selective increases are the way to go. I would much rather prefer a straight-up group size increase. It would be easier to understand and implement.

However, if we're talking about boss fights and endgame content like Cyan (like what's being mentioned here) then I'm of a mixed mind. Part of what makes these fights challenging (still) is that there is little else in the game where you really have to be picky about what classes you bring. If Cyan isn't smooth sailing with a solid group of 8 (with no offclasses) it surely isn't going to be easier if you replace your paladin or druid with a mage. But if you increased group size at all, even selectively, you're more than likely only making the fight easier. If I could go to Cyan with a free extra DK in my group, why wouldn't I? Doubly so if I could hook it up with a Wyrm Biter or other spec weapon.

Most of the difficulty in this game is 'X boss hits hard', 'X boss has lots of HP', or 'X boss stuns a lot', and that's unavoidably going to mean that there are optimal and suboptimal classes. Sure you could have a scout tank cyan, but that doesn't mean it's a good choice. There's not much that can be done about that. But in my eyes that's more to do with the structure of fight difficulty than an issue with the classes.

Thieves and mages are excellent classes, they just don't work that well at Cyan in particular.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 09:53:42 PM by Caine »

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 09:54:06 PM »
*sigh* True, but intentionally missing the point. At least one ocean has, intentionally and with purpose, tanked Cyan to completion.

corey

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 02:35:38 PM »

Yea both. I think it was in same group a few times too.

corey

• Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 02:49:12 PM »

Yea both. I think it was in same group a few times too.

Just realised you mentioned DKs too. We regularly had two DKs in our main group as well.

Lloth

• God
  • Fodder
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 11:42:32 PM »
I don't think this game needs an increase in group size. Maybe your clan mates need to make different characters or play something that's not so standard. Mages for example have been made ridiculously strong this wipe with just a few good CL items and ranks. They bring a lot of bonuses and utility to a group. I don't go out looking for groups but I can't imagine why anyone would decline taking a mage. Thieves are great dmg dealers in groups, they are just boring as shit without flank. DKs also come with great utility and dmg output. Scouts.....well they evade and do a shit ton of dmg.

All classes are good, some could use love.i follow a simple rule when I do group. And that's "bring the player, not the class"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 11:44:07 PM by Lloth »

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 01:36:32 AM »
I'd bring an ocean to cyan all day. Geared ocean hits nice. Instincts also do nice damage, they passively and intentionally heal themselves. It's solid.

But im all for making groups of 10 or even 12 again. More the merrier.

corey

• Zone Leader
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2021, 03:23:58 AM »
I'd bring an ocean to cyan all day. Geared ocean hits nice. Instincts also do nice damage, they passively and intentionally heal themselves. It's solid.

But im all for making groups of 10 or even 12 again. More the merrier.

I'd bring an ocean to Cyan but only because I could, not because they're good. This is just something I wanted to point out because the classes I'd mentioned before are actually good.

The only class that I wouldn't bring over an ocean is a sky.

Vespin

• Guardian
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2021, 09:07:31 PM »

reed:

Your classes you think are under-represented were all literally part of our core zoning group, and our ideal cyan group last wipe when we were doing it every other day.  Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're not viable. The game doesn't need to be changed to fit your play style.  They are very viable.  Also, a few weeks ago, I did cyan with 5 characters total.  one was a dk.  so your proposed increase in group sizes really doesn't resonate for me.  Very much as Lloth said, "you don't bring the character. you bring the player."  I've taken my thief to cyan every wipe i've played for the last 25 years.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 07:49:14 PM »
It's been fun listening to everyone's war stories about doing end game on a sky scout, ocean scout, white robe, 3 DKS, thief, and red robe.  I stand corrected and look forward to rushing an Ocean and Barb!

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 08:28:39 PM »
Ocean/barb is secret Myth power strat. Good to see Reed respects the genius.