Poll

Are you interested in a tournament, and if so, which bracket(s) would interest you? [Choose as many as you want.]

1v1
13 (16.5%)
2v2
18 (22.8%)
3v3
22 (27.8%)
5v5
18 (22.8%)
PvP should disappear from Arctic, including tournaments.
8 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: April 10, 2021, 07:51:10 PM

Author Topic: Tournament Interest?  (Read 1673 times)

Anista

• Administrator
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: The Abyss
Tournament Interest?
« on: March 29, 2021, 07:51:10 PM »
The immortal staff is preparing to host a Player versus Player (PvP) tournament sometime this month. The tournament will use some new 'instanced arena' code we are working on right this second.

Please select PvP options from the poll based on what you may be willing to try.

Details:
- Bring your own gear.
- Equipment will NOT be lost on death.
- Items and containers will not frag in the arena.
- Groups must be of equal numbers. You will pick your own group members, or we will try to help you find some friends.
- Self-prep & group-prep spells are allowed briefly on entry to the arena before the match begins.
- No outside prep (i.e.: pre-buff, curing potions, etc) permitted.
- We might hand out some prizes for participation.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
Re: Tournament Interest?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 10:04:38 PM »
Love the idea. As someone who took a break a while back. I don't have the gear to compete against the big guys. The person with the nobash/dragonorb/etc etc etc. They have a major advantage right.

I know we had a tournament some time ago that was setup using a shop. I can't remember those item names but I know it was like. You get 5 or 10 coins and you can buy equipment with those coins and no more once you have spent the coins. I would rather see it done like that.

If not. Good luck to everyone who joins in! I'll log and spectate!(Assuming there will be a spectate area like long ago)

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 09:10:19 PM »
Love the idea. As someone who took a break a while back. I don't have the gear to compete against the big guys. The person with the nobash/dragonorb/etc etc etc. They have a major advantage right.

I know we had a tournament some time ago that was setup using a shop. I can't remember those item names but I know it was like. You get 5 or 10 coins and you can buy equipment with those coins and no more once you have spent the coins. I would rather see it done like that.

If not. Good luck to everyone who joins in! I'll log and spectate!(Assuming there will be a spectate area like long ago)

i might sign up just to see how fast i get slaughtered.

with equal characters most of these players would beat me.  now give them a rank advantage, a spell advantage and an equipment advantage.  what are my chances?

Anista

• Administrator
  • Zoner
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 12:10:23 AM »

Players will be allowed to spectate fights. Gear will not be provided; maybe the world merchant can help. We do plan to provide average strength spirits and corpses.

The arena code & creation work is nearing completion. We are loosely considering a tournament date of Saturday, April 17th at 6PM UTC. (2PM EST,11PM PST)

Due to a lot of questions around fairness for multi-play, we're considering dividing the "2v2s" into separate brackets: "any twos" and "duo multis only." A 'multi' team could compete in both. Would there be enough interest in this to justify separation?

We intend to allow some 'free for all' skirmishes after the tournament style play ends. However, we will not be offering participation rewards for these arenas.

Lastly, an upcoming news post will announce the official event time and pertinent details.

Lloth

• God
  • Fodder
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 01:07:42 AM »
Unfortunately, I will be on baby duty at this time. I look forward to reading some of the logs! Hopefully people will log and post it on discord. Good luck everyone!

Anista

• Administrator
  • Zoner
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 06:37:13 AM »

Anista

• Administrator
  • Zoner
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 05:58:44 AM »
The tournament seemed to be a really great event! Thanks to all the spectators and gladiators who attended. Next time we'll try to work though things a little more quickly. Should we do it again soon?

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 08:14:26 PM »
it was fun!

thx to all for putting it together