Author Topic: Why I stopped playing.  (Read 2641 times)

Willoe

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
Why I stopped playing.
« on: March 22, 2021, 11:07:12 PM »
First and foremost I want to give a shoutout to our staff for doing a thankless and compensation free job of running this game. It is exciting to see staff so actively involved and looking to improve the game. This post isn't meant to belittle any of the work that has already been done(which is substantial), but  more to raise awareness.

Why did I stop playing?

Simply put, there wasn't much left to do. The content in the game is really under tuned to how strong a R5 rank 40+ character  is, and ultimately the game has grown boring. When all the content has been done, the only reason to continuously log on is to just check decays, and then hope to repop them before some other clan. This has been the cycle of Arctic for so long that I feel that folks aren't willing to think outside the box. This is negative reinforcement to logging on to the game as opposed to positive reinforcement.

Historically(not just the recent wipes) when clans get to this state where the zoning no longer a draw, they would jump/declare war on another clan and have some fun with PVP. Unfortunately with Arctic's aging player base, the current PVP system is broken. When I say broken, I simply mean that it doesn't fit the playstyle that most of the players enjoy. Those that do have been burned at the stake.

I don't just put this on here without some thoughts around fixes so I hope to draw some good discussion with some of the items below.

Solutions:

1. Game difficulty - As stated above, the game is way too easy. With the new instance coding that has been established, it would be really cool to have more difficult versions of the zones we currently have. Tune the zones up, create different difficulty levels, and yes even buff the gear. (ie normal mode, hard mode, nightmare mode, etc). This solution would allow for clans to continuously test their strength and have something to strive for, thus not having beat the game 1-2 months in to the wipe.
For those that say "The gear is too powerful already! Clan's won't be able to compete etc etc"...This really only applies to a PVP environment which in reality we don't have anymore. Hope to address this below.

2. Gear loads - The current gear system was based around a PVP environment as well. Gear needs to be circulated so that one group of players doesn't hog it and completely dominate a pwipe. As of right now, who really cares if every clan has 1-2 dragon orbs, or dragon slaying weapons, etc etc...The better question is WHY NOT allow every clan to have them? Limits should really be re-evaluated for the current game play. Rather then having hard limits, consider having no limits and dropping the % on load rates based on eliteness of item. If someone wants to spam Cyan to get a dragon orb, let them get a dragon orb!
Also let's address the elephant in the room...chaos gear. The chaos gear was a step in the right direction and I applaud the staff for the bringing this system to the game, but let's face it, the vast  majority of the gear dropping just sucks. Cyan is literally dropping 10 resist gas items...I mean come on. If good gear drops and is usable, this would be great! This gear would be amazing to tune WAY up and put in to some of the higher difficulty instances in the above solution.

3. PVP - As stated above, the PVP system is very outdated for our current player base. I also understand that there would be a significant amount of coding that would need to be done to rework this system. That being said...PVP used to be one of the main draws to the game and it also kept people playing...this NEEDS to be a top priority to get right.
One suggestion I have would be to create multiple arenas where players can duke it out. Create PVP ranks( Sergeant, General, Warlord, Whatever) for bragging rights. Keep it so you have to PVP in order to hold on to these ranks. Provide advantages for having these ranks, i.e. gear that is warlord only, or slight buffs etc...There is so much that can be done here that would engage the players.

I love some of the changes that the staff has already brought to the game. Lightning orb is cool as hell, tic timer, not having to reskill after reincarnate...all amazing changes. That being said, none of these changes address why people are not playing. Please consider some suggestions above, but more importantly focus and prioritize on why people aren't playing anymore.

Ilya

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:46:49 AM by Willoe »

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
Re: Why I stopped playing.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 12:58:19 AM »
I agree.

Sean-- Andagassi/Jungor

pinternational

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 09:09:25 AM »
my first thought: Vuddy is not going to like this.

Overall, great ideas.Really like the arena-style PVP idea. I'm not sure that uncapping elite gear will change much for top tier players, but it will probably motivate less experienced players/clans to organize for the mastering of endgame content, so ultimately a win for the playerbase, and the game.

Dafin

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 09:51:45 AM »
I do not agree that Arctic is easy.

I started playing Arctic in 2011 in my late 20-s. I played actively for 15-16 months in total. Of which 2 months I struggled to learn the world and solo level warrior to 22, because no one grouped a newbie in the end of 2011. So I consider myself a real newbie.

This wipe I had about 12-14 days playtime of which a good chunk I spent loring gear, mapping zones, reading my log files, gathered when I was power zoning with veteran players.

My progress from 2011 is enormous, but I still know almost nothing compared to my clannies. The game is enormously hard. I have managed to pop moc/scorch tier spells and still looking to load 4 of 6 pieces of any class set by myself.

I am thinking to take a break from the game too but for different reasons. First I do not enjoy follow/assist type of power zoning I can find in the game, especially in unknown zones. Second, I am tired of chasing stone skin, and recently lost all my progress in that effort because I forgot to maintain my vault :) Third I still can't reincarnate on my main chars and I can't see how I can catch up with veterans. And finally I think when I get to rank 25, game will wipe again like it was in the previous wipe.

Probably if I started playing when I was younger, my achievements would be a lot better.

PS Game is great, imms do a good job of maintaining it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:56:55 AM by Dafin »

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 01:32:12 PM »
Not new ideas but nice to see them come up again

Willoe

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 03:18:29 PM »
@ Dafin - Great to get another perspective. Arctic has different tiers of players that play/quit for different reasons. I wish the game still had some of that challenge, enjoy it while it lasts!

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 09:33:15 PM »
im with dafin.  arctic is not very easy to me at all. 

me and my friends are finally getting to a place where it feels like we can start trying some harder stuff thanks to reincarnation (which is amazing).  we have all now reincarnated 3+ times and you can definitely notice things are getting easier, but there are still plenty of zones we havent had the courage to try yet.

so it sounds like the game is in a great place for the more casual/weaker players but too easy for the pros.

one idea to keep the game more interesting could be trying something like warcrafts mythic dungeons.  i havent played warcraft in a while, but as i understand it each week you can try these extra hard versions of certain zones and your clear time is recorded and goes up on a leaderboard.  then at the end of the week the fastest time gets some type of reward.  could be fun i think.

also definitely agree with willoe that the gear system feels pretty bad.  weve been kililng a few mobs we havent killed in the past and one we fought the other day does some fancy axe attack.  someone said 'too bad we will never know what axe he loads'.  and that is completely true.  if you are one of the slower groups to high level zones, that stuff is already gone Forever.  for us the mob never had an axe and he never will have one.  high tier gear might as well not even exist.

chaos items are a good idea but its so rare to find a good one.  i have something like 250 hours played this wipe and ive only found 4 or 5 that i used.  a lot better than nothing i suppose but they dont compare to finding a real item.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:34:50 PM by el conquistador »

regent

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 11:02:54 PM »
I doubt the majority of the playerbase sees the special fights or gear Willoe does, but it sounds like he beat the game or burned out from trying too hard. Step away for a bit, try something else, then come back. This is what people do when they beat games.

I think Arctic is in a great place and we're still seeing new changes all the time by staff who makes no profit doing it. Willoe is an imm right? Sounds like a pretty hefty loss when staff quits and dumps their 'solutions' on the remaining staff, though.

Willoe

• Zoner
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 12:06:53 AM »
I'm a level 31, and I can set your title...I know it's a big loss for the game:)

That being said I really am trying to keep this post as to why people don't play the game...These were my reasons that I stopped this wipe. Will I come back later in the wipe? Perhaps...but I will always stop playing due to the above reasons.

I understand that there are people who still find the game challenging or haven't yet done all of the endgame fights. If that's the case, of course the above reasons don't apply to you. That being said, aren't you tired of having all of the best gear in the game constantly on lockdown? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to be rewarded for doing a zone with something other than coins/exp/possible ranks? The above solutions also only ADD to the game and give more challenge to those that "beat" all the content, it takes absolutely nothing away from those still growing/learning.

The only way this game survives is through people continuing to play and hopefully enticing some of the players who quit to come back. Understanding why people don't play or are quitting is essential for this. This game is AMAZING and has a lot of cool features, however it also important to understand that just because this game is challenging for you, there are many out there who have quit for various reasons. I hope that some come out of the woodwork and perhaps share why they stopped playing.

With that being said, I am not saying my solutions are correct or are what should happen. This is meant to be a discussion with ideas floating around as to how to address some of these reasons.

Ilya

Patpat

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 04:43:33 PM »
That being said I really am trying to keep this post as to why people don't play the game...These were my reasons that I stopped this wipe. Will I come back later in the wipe? Perhaps...but I will always stop playing due to the above reasons.

There's lots of reasons I quit, but for me one of the more common reasons i'll quit or take a break is when there's too many ppl playing. Login, 100+ ppl on, rent. Sometimes the best times to play is 6+ months into a wipe after most everyone else has gotten bored and left. Its just not worth it to me to wade through the crowds to try to load eq, spells, find runnable zones, ranks, etc. The game just plays better when less chars are on. We should all be happy to see lots logged in, but the game is just so much worse when everything is overspammed and you cant even get into a mid-high zone for casual zoning not to mention trying to compete with the big guys for a real zone or load. I'm just over that kind of competition - some people want a nightmare/hardcore I want to casual experience where its just us vs the mobs.

I've seen your suggestions recycled around for the last couple wipes and I think they're all decent ideas. The unlimited but low % load eq idea is one I could definitely get behind.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 09:56:38 PM »
The game just plays better when less chars are on.

Are you thinking of stuff like sand wraith loading no gear and giving 0.05%? Or an item loads in bluff and 2 clannies and another clan say it is their decay?

Hoyt

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 09:15:37 PM »
Maybe a solution, maybe not. Lets say No gear limits and no decay. trade off is you have to maintain your gear and if it frags that is on you.  with no limit to gear lets take a limited item that is normally 2str, everyone can have that 2 str on the base stat just add the randomizer stat to every piece of gear so no 2 pieces are alike sorta like the chaos gear (i am not knocking the chaos gear idea but i don't think i have found more than 1 or 2 pieces that was worth keeping  only because it happened to have like det invis and i needed that at the time. so make the added bonus stat something other than resist gas by 3.)That way there is always a chance of some gear loading in a zone and would make it worth doing for everyone.  If you wanted to keep dragon slaying weapons or dragon orbs  limited thats is ok with me.

Problems I see that make it so some people quit or just get board.

1. always chasing decays
2. nothing in zones because someone is hording them and or they kick you out of zones because its "Their" decay. and all you want to do is xp! with a chance of shinnies.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 10:46:38 PM »
The majority of us have played for 20+ years.  We know the steps to go from point A to point Blazewight/Cyan/etc.  There is no fear of being jumped or PKd.  That was what made arctic epic.

Fix PK.  It can't be that hard.  Look back historically when PK has been the most fun, competitive, etc., and figure out how to make adjustments to get back to those core mechanics.  Get rid of the BS mechanics for ejecting entire groups.  It's almost impossible to successfully PK these days with Freedom, Cultivate, Mass Tel, Rit, etc.  Bring back teleporting to groups.  Bring back real clair.  Bring back legendary PK mages.

Or if that's not for you, put the nail in the coffin and turn off PK.  But don't stay in no mans land.

And if you want to change how gear loads, so be it.  But the legendary items, imo, should stay limited. 

I've made the suggestion of having clan drops at end game fights to incentivize all clans to do all game material.

I personally don't agree with the game being too easy.  Making it harder will only make the wealth gap wider in arctic land.

joesux

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 02:06:24 PM »
The majority of us have played for 20+ years.  We know the steps to go from point A to point Blazewight/Cyan/etc.  There is no fear of being jumped or PKd.  That was what made arctic epic.

Fix PK.  It can't be that hard.  Look back historically when PK has been the most fun, competitive, etc., and figure out how to make adjustments to get back to those core mechanics.  Get rid of the BS mechanics for ejecting entire groups.  It's almost impossible to successfully PK these days with Freedom, Cultivate, Mass Tel, Rit, etc.  Bring back teleporting to groups.  Bring back real clair.  Bring back legendary PK mages.

Or if that's not for you, put the nail in the coffin and turn off PK.  But don't stay in no mans land.

No man steps in the same river twice; he's not the same man and it's not the same river. You're trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube - you can't compare things we did as teenagers to now as middle-aged adults with vast and varying responsibilities. I like PK and participated a bunch back in the day but it's just not realistic for me now any more for me and my guys to wait to have enough numbers to run enemies off the mud so we can zone/repop decays/whatever.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 04:46:16 PM »
For me I just don't have the self-restraint to avoid the temptation to use triggers while afk to skill, run out a moc flag, run out a haste flag, kill foliage, or rewield weapons. Nor do I have the mental capacity to act like a law abiding citizen while I flagrantly violate the rules (probably an autism spectrum thing about not being able to act one way and be another). It wasn't a problem in previous wipes because I honestly believed that everyone did it and that no one cared. Over the past weeks high ranking immortals, low ranking immortals, people from other clans, and even at least one person from my clan has said that these afk activities devalue the efforts and achievements of the honest players and that the "no doing stuff while afk" rule will and should be rigorously enforced.

I wish the remaining players and immortals the best of success in arctic.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:15:11 PM by Gnua »