Author Topic: Ocean Tanks  (Read 197 times)

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
Ocean Tanks
« on: March 19, 2021, 01:59:14 AM »
Hi everyone,

I created, did a couple reincarnations, and legended an ocean scout over the last week or so to do some testing. I had grand aspirations based on a theorycraft I came up with that had the possibility of being, in just that, theory, game-breaking. The theory itself did not work at all, so I tested them out for general-use tanking and they were so much worse than I thought.

I had damage reduction ranks, both legendary instincts, legend crab, and Power of the Deep set (viewable in the game info forum). The damage intake, even with fence engaged, was still higher than all other traditional tanking classes (possibly on par with DKs).  Couple this with less than ideal (yet seemingly adequate) rescue skill and a substantially lower hit pool and it's a recipe for disaster. Not only do they take more damage, but, due to fence, it can come in spikes. Not only can you get one-rounded in some later fights, but spikey damage in general is harder to heal through.

It's harder to fence high level mobs and that's pretty well known. The last thing you want is to have rounds of fencing successes where your healers are focusing on other tasks, followed by huge spikes in damage where they struggle to catch up.

They have a niche spot when it comes to soloing/duoing, but for efficiency and effectiveness, it's not worth it. I haven't focused on the damage aspect yet, but as for tanking, they need some love if they're going to stick around.

Some suggestions that might bring this class up to speed:

1) Keep the lower hit pool
2) Make crab's MINOR_LIMIT_DAMAGE passive
3) Crab reworked

THE CRAB INSTINCT

Instinct :  Crab
Circle   :  5
Path     :  Ocean
Depth    :  1

The instinct of the Crab will grant upon the scout certain characteristics
of the hard-shelled arthropod, both deflecting and delaying some damage. Most notable, the scout will be able to
shrug off damage using the command 'shed'.

Details:
- Grants a passive delay damage. 60% of damage will be taken up front. 30% damage will be dealt over the next three rounds, 10% of damage taken will be deflected.
- Grants the 'shed' command, instantly resets your damage over time taken to zero.
- Grants MINOR_LIMIT_DAMAGE.
- Also grants NOCHARM.

4) Fence needs to work better/differently. If there are less mobs hitting you, it should have a higher effectiveness and vice versa.
5) The hydra instinct passive heal is unreliable and doesn't seem to scale off of any sort of healing/regen/health effects (?). This should be looked at.
6) Jellyfish reworked

THE JELLYFISH INSTINCT

Instinct :  Jellyfish
Circle   :  1
Depth    :  2

The instinct of the Jellyfish will grant upon the scout certain
characteristics of the quick, poisonous creature. Most notable, the
scout will achieve a melee ability 'sting'. Using sting, the scout will
viciously prick an opponent with a poisoned nematocyst. The result can
poison the target.

Details:
- Passively deals minimal damage to targets hitting the affected user
- Grants the 'sting' command, which stings an opponent, dealing damage
and a chance to poison a target afflicted by passive reflected damage as mentioned above.
- Also grants HEALTH and DEX to the user.

7) Eel removed
8) Whale reworked

THE WHALE INSTINCT

Instinct :  Whale
Circle   :  5
Depth    :  2

The instinct of the Whale will grant upon the scout certain
characteristics of the enormous mammal. Most noticeably, the scout will
achieve a melee ability 'eagre'. Using eagre, the scout will spew forth a
wave of terrifying power, dealing damage to all opponents for multiple rounds,
and rescuing groupmates.

Details:
- Grants the 'eagre' command, which deals damage and will put all non-grouped
mobiles in combat with the user.
- Lasts 2-3 rounds (not visible in help)
- Attempts to rescue groupmates while active.
- Also grants IMMUNE_NEGATIVE_ENERGY and a bonus to HIT to the user.

el conquistador

• Zoner
Re: Ocean Tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 06:12:02 PM »
good info!  i have always wanted/considered trying an ocean scout tank.  seems like it could be fun. but i guess i wont try it  :D

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
Re: Ocean Tanks
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 07:33:29 PM »
good info!  i have always wanted/considered trying an ocean scout tank.  seems like it could be fun. but i guess i wont try it  :D

It's viable, it's just not good. Less sturdy than warrior but can deal more damage while tanking.

You're far more likely to end up in hairy situations than with a barbarian or paladin.