ArcticMUD > Game Ideas

[CONTROVERSY] Random Item System

(1/7) > >>

corey:
Trigger warning, because I know a lot of time and effort was put into this system and I think we all appreciate it and think it just needs major tuning. This is not a bitching post but an effort at constructive feedback.

I want to start with two things:

1. Timers seem to be messed up on traditional items. I'm not sure if this is intended as an offset to randomized items, but things are seemingly decaying at 4x the rate of last wipe. I shouldn't have to repop limit1 items ever 7-10 days.

2. The best chaos item I've found is a neck det invis, 8vs, -1 saving spell. It's also the only usable item.

*** This is my experience. I believe I can speak for Shield as well. ***

Chaos items aren't actually very rare. Not only are they somewhat common, but they're just overall bad. I can't count the number of items I've picked up and had them lore as resist electricity 2, or healing received by 1%, cleric only.

I'm not going to go into anything specific, but here are some problems I'm seeing:

* chaos items are not very rare
* chaos items largely have no use
* chaos items, while randomized, are not truly random. It's very easy to tell where the stat weights are
* I'm sure item timers have a minimum duration, but these also seem random

A few ideas:
* make them rarer
* make them useful. Almost every item should have a purpose. Randomization is fine, but items should be fun to find. It should be exciting, not an internal argument about bothering to put in the effort to type to pick it up versus leaving it on a corpse
* In the case of resists, make minimums higher. No one will ever have a reason to wear res 3
* weight things like hitroll and -ac heavier at lower levels
* make things realistic - I like that some items seem to be farmable, and one weapon in particular comes to mind, but no one in a level 22 zone is going to have 27-28 strength to use it
* reiteration on making things rare and exciting. I shouldn't be finding a resist acid 3 hp regen 1 item off a boss near the end of a high level zone. It's demoralizing. I'd rather have not seen anything

joesux:
Can't say I disagree with any of these points. All the random item system has done is create a massive eyesore at the world merchant(please let us drain these items if you don't make them actually useful)?

Again - no disrespect meant for the time and effort put into implementing this.

corey:

--- Quote from: joesux on January 20, 2021, 12:30:40 AM ---Can't say I disagree with any of these points. All the random item system has done is create a massive eyesore at the world merchant(please let us drain these items if you don't make them actually useful)?

Again - no disrespect meant for the time and effort put into implementing this.

--- End quote ---

Yea this is not meant as disrespect at all, but it is hard to offer criticism without it sounding like whining. I love the system itself, I just believe it needs heavy tuning to make it great.

Lloth:
I'll take a stab at this.

1. Yes the timers seem off. We are looking at adjusting the timer lengths to better suite where they load and how difficult they are to load.

2. You just haven't been lucky enough I guess. I assure you that item you mentioned could have been a lot better. That's the entire point about the system. Yes, there are a lot of items loading and if you keep loading them, you WILL get something good. Without divulging the chances, the best of the best is pretty tough to get.

3. The entire system is new and put together in a very short amount of time. Be sure that the immortal staff is taking everything into consideration and will be tweaking the system as we move forward.

4. This system is not meant to have every item be 'good' and have a 'purpose'. It certainly could if you run the right zones and get the right items and get very lucky.  This system is to allow items a chance to load, regardless of the regular items in the zoning loading or not.

5. It does sound like whining. We thank you for your feedback.

corey:

--- Quote from: Lloth on January 20, 2021, 01:18:46 AM ---I'll take a stab at this.

1. Yes the timers seem off. We are looking at adjusting the timer lengths to better suite where they load and how difficult they are to load.

2. You just haven't been lucky enough I guess. I assure you that item you mentioned could have been a lot better. That's the entire point about the system. Yes, there are a lot of items loading and if you keep loading them, you WILL get something good. Without divulging the chances, the best of the best is pretty tough to get.

3. The entire system is new and put together in a very short amount of time. Be sure that the immortal staff is taking everything into consideration and will be tweaking the system as we move forward.

4. This system is not meant to have every item be 'good' and have a 'purpose'. It certainly could if you run the right zones and get the right items and get very lucky.  This system is to allow items a chance to load, regardless of the regular items in the zoning loading or not.

We thank you for your feedback.

--- End quote ---

Not a problem!

Just to touch on two of your points:

1: For the most part, I was talking about non-chaos items. For instance last wipe a speat from a cettain barbarian who roams the lands near Delphon lasted a month or slightly longer. I've had to repop it 1-2 times already.

2. Yep and if that's how the system is meant to be, then that's how it's meant to be. I was bringing light to it being more fun for people to have something load maybe 10x less often but when you see it, you know it's at least going to have some minimal use somewhere. Both are valid but that was my opinion on it

You guys are great

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version