Author Topic: PWIPE  (Read 1353 times)

el conquistador

• Zoner
PWIPE
« on: December 05, 2020, 02:50:54 PM »
December 4, 2020

------------- THIS IS A PWIPE ANNOUNCEMENT -------------

May you all die.

You will all be deleted on December 30th, 2020.
          The new wipe will begin on January 1st, 2021.

We hope you enjoyed 2020 as much as we did. In the spirit of closing the
book on everything the year brought us, we will be wiping the playerbase on
the day of December 30th, 2020 and will reopen in the new year. We will
announce specific times and more details as the date gets closer.

This wipe saw a number of great changes to the game, including the
squashing of a number of longstanding bugs that had been plaguing us for
years. We'd especially like to thank everyone who assisted with our debug
sessions, without which it would have been very difficult to diagnose some
of the problems. (Thank you for using the 'bug' command.)

As a cause for celebration, everyone will receive a 100% increase
experience, coins, and rank gains through the end of the current wipe,
beginning with this post.

Please try to keep the chaos and random killing under control until the
last few days of this wipe. We may hand out some buffs and goodies then.

Below are some of the highlights you can expect to see next wipe:

- The reincarnation and rank systems, as well as experience tables will
  have some adjustments.
- New zones are in the works, with some nostalgia included.
- A major gear/weapon system is being designed to help with a item limits,
  dull loads, and allow for re-playability of "maxed" zones. This system
  would not entirely replace the existing, but supplement it. We may not
  have enough time to fully implement this, but we're pressing hard for it.
- The blueprints for clan strongholds are being reviewed and expanded.
- Class skills and spells will have some noteworthy changes.
- Many helpfiles are receiving some facelifts. Trust us, it's worth being
  excited about!
- Numerous quality of life improvements are to come, for newbies and
  veterans alike.
- Quite a few additional bugs are being worked out of the system.

Thanks for playing Arctic!

-- Arctic Staff, Executive Planning Committee

sounds pretty good!  probably! 

not a lot of specific details, but adjustments, nostalgia, better re-playability, and exciting helpfiles?  you are hitting all of my buttons!

adepali

• Administrator
  • Fodder
Re: PWIPE
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 07:23:12 PM »
I know what my favorite change is!

Tajs

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Dun mir
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 09:41:48 PM »
Bards?

Dafin

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 12:27:54 PM »
I haven't checked but for some reason I thought that at the start of the current wipe all rank mobs were "zeroed"? Am I mistaken and all the mobs had full ranks? What about coming wipe?

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 09:26:27 PM »
I haven't checked but for some reason I thought that at the start of the current wipe all rank mobs were "zeroed"? Am I mistaken and all the mobs had full ranks? What about coming wipe?

pretty sure ranks are full at the start of each wipe.  i know people who have gotten to rank 15 on wipe day which means the crazy players probably hit rank 20  :P

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 11:34:41 PM »

In the past, some wipes have started at zero ranks while some wipes have started at full ranks.

Lloth

• God
  • Fodder
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 02:26:22 PM »
I do like the rank set to zero at the start. It just makes the disparity between rushing and casuals greater. Those who go crazy at the start double dip and get the gear AND the ranks while everyone else starts getting .10% from the get to.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »

In the past, some wipes have started at zero ranks while some wipes have started at full ranks.

I wonder what it would be like if the gear were "zeroed" at the start of the wipe as well

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 05:15:46 PM »
I do like the rank set to zero at the start. It just makes the disparity between rushing and casuals greater. Those who go crazy at the start double dip and get the gear AND the ranks while everyone else starts getting .10% from the get to.

i wouldnt be too upset if the ranks were 0 at the start because i do feel bad for the people who cant play much or at all.  it is such an enormous headstart. 

BUT i also feel like that is a big part of the excitement of pwipe day - that first rush of gloriousness can be so fun

Malthros

• Fodder
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 06:01:55 PM »
Ranks really need to give exp based on when the player last killed the mob and not when it died, even if overall rank xp has to be dropped on most mobs if the imms don't want people being able to hit r50 in less than 600 hours or whatever unholy amount of rank grinding it takes when zones aren't spammed like at the wipe.

Having ranks fresh at wipe is good since some people want to reincarnate and need to hit those ranks to do it, while if you zero out ranks nobody's reincarnating for awhile and that's just an unnecessary limitation on how people want to tackle a new wipe.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 12:51:05 PM »
From what I remember, when the ranks were zeroed out on wipe day, ranks would not begin to accumulate until the mob had been killed. So if you were the first one doing a mob, even a week or two AFTER the wipe, all the mobs were 0 rank. That was kind of crappy.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 04:56:10 PM »
Yeah the issue isnt that people grind those mobs out. The folks who put in the most time get ahead. Like it should be. The bitter part is, the rank system itself just isn't in a good spot right now. I'm not sure how hard it would be to do, but rank %'s should be lowered per mob and make them a per player system. So if Alecto and his group goes and kills idk, Raynes/Riverzone. Those ranks should be lowered for THEM. Not for the next guy doing that mob. The next guy didn't get the experience of fighting that mob so the gains should be 100%.

Sort of like a WoW system maybe.
You go and do this quest or that quest. The quest then isn't lessened for the next guy to come and do it.

Dafin

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 10:22:21 PM »
Maybe then ranks should be maxxed and splitted between group members like xp is?

Jang Yoo Sung

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Storms Keep
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 12:48:25 AM »
From what I remember, when the ranks were zeroed out on wipe day, ranks would not begin to accumulate until the mob had been killed. So if you were the first one doing a mob, even a week or two AFTER the wipe, all the mobs were 0 rank. That was kind of crappy.

You are like a living arctic history book!

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 02:04:19 AM »
I think there was an old thread talking about dynamic vs static ranks.

Change all dynamic ranks to static ranks. Lower their numbers depending on their repop timer and zone level.

That way it wont be a steep differences between the first group to run zones at wipe and the second. But the people who run the most will still be ahead.

As for lloth suggestion of moving things down(zeroing dynamic ranks) to equal the footings for everyone is not a wise one. People has less time not more time to spend. Making things grindier isn't more fun even if everyone has to do it with you. You will just make players realized they could have spend that extra day as a legend char rather than a pre legend char grinding the ranks.