Author Topic: New game idea for full loot PVP: Abyssal Coliseum  (Read 1810 times)

Kir

• Zoner
Re: New game idea for full loot PVP: Abyssal Coliseum
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 04:55:35 AM »
its an interesting idea but why do you have to take your own equipment in there?  if i go in this arena i feel like i would get destroyed by some pro pvper with much bigger items than me.

how about a set of gladiator equipment you can put on at the entrance?  then it is more of a fair fight and losing isnt too bad.  the reward can be a random class set piece or coins or ranks or something else.

I think ideally if you are not super confident you'd probably store your pVE gear and bring a "throw-away" set that you dont care about as much, ie an armaboro set with some 3d6 2 2 prime, or if you are a mage, some trash cl set etc.

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 10:20:56 AM »

I think ideally if you are not super confident you'd probably store your pVE gear and bring a "throw-away" set that you dont care about as much, ie an armaboro set with some 3d6 2 2 prime, or if you are a mage, some trash cl set etc.

you just described my goal endgame equipment set exactly lol

khuran10

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 12:13:29 PM »
Great idea. I would use this and I think I would love it. Experimenting with skirmish tactics in a closed environment would be a ton of fun. I could see this becoming a mini game where I spend a decent % of my time later wipe. I don't think I'd even need substantial rewards.

The only part that seems strange to me is the full loot. That detail makes this a substantially more expensive mini game. I'm not going to do 10 of these a day if I need to strip gear or risk my set each time.

Just let people buff up, duke it out to the death, shake hands, and do it again.

Maybe make options to be full loot or not. :P  Can even set certain items as the bet like clan A risks onyx shield while clan B risks robe of darkness. :P

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 05:49:16 PM »
All of these non-loot and partial loot comments drive me nuts.  The whole purpose of this idea is to create a dedicated PVP area.  Full loot.  This is the bridge between "old PVP arctic" and "new arctic".  I'm not against anyone voicing their opinion but i think the whole idea is to create an at-risk environment where there is big upside (looting opponents gear + drops from the area), but also downside if things don't go your way.

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 07:14:43 PM »
All of these non-loot and partial loot comments drive me nuts.  The whole purpose of this idea is to create a dedicated PVP area.  Full loot.  This is the bridge between "old PVP arctic" and "new arctic".  I'm not against anyone voicing their opinion but i think the whole idea is to create an at-risk environment where there is big upside (looting opponents gear + drops from the area), but also downside if things don't go your way.

you can do that but i thought part of the idea was to get players who wouldnt ordinarily pvp into that part of the game.  an agreement to a full loot pvp battle against some stacked rise char?  i might as well walk into a dt.  it would be less humiliating.  i think you will just end up having an arena where bored rise players occasionally 1v1 each other.

and lets say i pull off the impossible.  maybe i take a decapper in there and land a miracle decap and loot some amazing items i have never seen before.  is there any chance i dont get pkilled the next day for them?  and possibly my alts too if i spread them around a bit.  winning could be much worse than losing!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:05:28 AM by el conquistador »

kielmobile

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 01:47:46 AM »
what do you fear more?

A) "the great reset" set forth by the far left and amazon, facebook, google leveraging covid and lockdowns
B) the great pwipe impending
C) facing reed23 (btw scottie pippen's number was 33) and his skinner's garb in an arena
D) facing the new ancient red dragon
E) sidney powell releasing the kraken

https://www.strawpoll.me/33400919
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 01:50:00 AM by kielmobile »

Wayne

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 07:07:40 PM »
i think the whole idea is to create an at-risk environment where there is big upside (looting opponents gear + drops from the area), but also downside if things don't go your way.

I get the appeal of what you are saying, and I'd definitely use it if it were an option. I think you are using a bit of hyperbole, though. This isn't the whole idea.

As Kir said on the initial post, "this would allow bored players who want to pvp a chance at pvp." That is the major appeal for me. Alleviate boredom. So I'd like to have it be something that I want to use on a regular basis, not once in a blue moon.

If there is a ~50% risk of a full gear wipe am I going to do that every day? Probably not. That's too much time investment for me, personally.

jasun

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 11:45:18 PM »
Wayne is right. So is Reed. Both parties need an acceptable risk vs reward so it doesn't turn into a wasteland that no one uses except maybe once a month, and at that point the parties may as well agree ahead of time to normal pk battle and no one has to waste their time creating the place. Posting to promote ideas and sway the tide away from shutting each other down.

I like Kir's idea altogether. It might actually bring me back after many years of not playing at all. Likely anonymously but that's what makes this idea fun. So I'll throw out some ideas as I am quite neutral and not a newb and certainly hardcore as far as full loot pvp goes and haven't played in most of this decade (I haven't set foot in blood shoal but I've personally held or had immediate access to most dragon orbs and humas and robes of darkness and had prism and blastwave and nightmare). I also didn't do shit with any of them for the most part.

I'm sure people can come up with much better unique ideas.

If you are thinking of making this something people that want to enter for challenge/risk on a daily basis (as Wayne implies, which I like, and also makes it similar to that other mmo portal), maybe a vendor in the room before the mob that spawns the portal with gladiator set armor/weapons that can be purchased. The armor/weaps can be sold back to a merchant inside the arena at the same price and cannot be taken out of the rooms before and the arena itself or they foom. Bonuses roughly equal to armaboro at half set and slightly buffer if the person wants to spend double the coins for the full set at a premium.

Examples:

Can buy gladiator set pieces with bonuses at 2 pieces, 4 pieces, 6 pieces, 8 pieces and each piece costs 1k

4 pieces = armaboro set equivalent with an 18 dam prime as one of the pieces
4k for this set per char at 4 chars = 16k coins in rewards for the other team if they win

Base the entrance mob's difficulty off a full team with 4 pieces of this set on each char. Sets a baseline to enter for gear + char/rank level.

Diminish the returns heavily between 4 piece bonus to 8 piece bonus for the rich players that want more of an edge and a greater reward for the challengers.
For example, 8 piece can be 20 dam prime (instead of 18 dam) with extra stats/saves/whatever on the gear.

(i.e. 4k per char (16k coins total) for roughly armaboro set with a 18 dam prim or 8k per char (32k coins total) for a couple extra dams/stats and a 20 dam prime).

Then winning team walks away with 16k coins if one team decides to buy complete armaboro-equivalent sets for all 4 of their chars or 32k coins if slightly more buff 8 bonus set.

Money was set at an arbitrary value for explanatory purposes of course, set it to whatever is meaningful at the current state of the game. I'd start lower and ramp up as not to discourage the losing side too much and to keep the arena active.

I'd rather farm money to get back in and fight again than spend time farming armaboro or other similar sets repeatedly.

Also a team could go in and spend 16k-32k, lose it to a team with a real set but know what classes/strat they are using, and try to put together a team to counter them with real chars in the next portal spawn. In the end more playing = better. More head on PvP fights = better. Make it reasonable to let people constantly try their hand at the arena and gain confidence while giving confident players more chance of having someone that actually will fight them while still gaining the prestige of winning + class combo/strat experience + the money from losing team + final boss loot.

Other fun random ideas to increase rewards/risk inside of the arena:
After seeing one of Eddie's recent posts on pvp on a recent active thread I loved the unique ideas he was throwing out for pvp that hadn't entered anywhere close to my brain. They were out of the box, well thought-out, and sounded far more creative than this. This is just to get one of those balls rolling:

Once a week for one day i.e. Saturday a choice of colored tokens are sold on the vendor for 75k that can be brought into the fight with the portal mob. Portal mob drops 1 item based on the token type brought in i.e. green token = nobash robes or blue token = autohaste shield. Can only use 1 token per team.
Item can be sold back inside arena for equivalent price. Point of this would be to generate more interest on weekends when more people can find time to play and give a chance to run over the bullies with all the shinies.

Another random idea:
Make the final boss spawn a choice based on the team that wins. When a team enters the arena, based on which direction  they move from the first room, the final boss class is chosen. I.e. team A moved north (cleric) and they win. Final boss spawn is a priest with a cleric book. Make it so the final reward is something that is more likely to be useful to you and increase your interest in participating altogether.

Once again I'm sure people can think up all kinds of fun possibilities or incentives that are far better than these. Work together to make it happen then you have a chance to shit on each other in game. I don't play this game anymore. Not saying there's anything wrong with this game. This just sounded fun to me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 11:51:25 PM by jasun »

mikey

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2020, 05:38:46 PM »
Just to be clear;

The same amazing players, who are so dominant at killing people that the staff had to scrap pvp, want an arena where the best pvp'er gets:
very good xp
static ranks
very good coins
full death loot
gifted random eq
chaos book

and when no one wants to challenge (get crushed by) them? they get:
very good xp
static ranks
very good coins
gifted random eq
chaos book

haha! you can't make this stuff up!

to counterbalance this, i propose a second, less scary, arena where you can only enter if your email has had a level 30 character attached to it for the last 5 years and has never pkilled anyone in that time. defeating mobs inside this arena would reward:
very good xp
static ranks
very good coins
chaos book
but no gifted random eq (wouldn't want to get greedy!)

beware! entering this arena gives the permanent title "the Cowardly"!