Author Topic: New game idea for full loot PVP: Abyssal Coliseum  (Read 1813 times)

Kir

• Zoner
New game idea for full loot PVP: Abyssal Coliseum
« on: November 15, 2020, 10:18:28 PM »
Synopsis: The evil gods of Krynn have created a coliseum in the abyss in which 2 players (4 characters) can enter one of two portals to the abyss placed on opposite sides of the map.

The entrance is guarded by a somewhat powerful NPC that the players have to kill to enter the portal and prove they are worthy for the challenge. When they enter the portal to the coliseum, they will find NPCs to kill worth very good xp\rank and coins. The coliseum will be no_recall, no quit. The only way to win is to defeat the other team and kill the main boss. When the other team and boss is defeated, takhisis will reward the victors with randomized eq\spell drops. The spells could be made to be whatever the immortals wish, easiest would be chances at chaos books for mages\druids\clerics\shamans. Gear could also be customized however the immortals see fit.

The benefit for players would be: amazing xp and coin drops, and at the end, a chance at good gear\spell drops. You could easily place your main set of gear in the bank vault or on an alt while you switch into gear you are willing to lose, ie an armaboro set or whatever. The second benefit would be to allow players who currently not very comfortable pvping to gain experience in PVP, getting good xp\ rank.

This would allow bored players who want to pvp a chance at pvp. Also if there werent two teams willing to enter, it would allow the bravest people seeking pvp to get free rewards. This would then make it so people might just enter hoping to farm the coliseum mobs but end up having a fight against other people who only wished to farm.

Also, this idea is not really my own but inspired by a full loot mmo that I played when I wasnt playing arctic. In that game its the most fun thing in the game for me. In that game, the people willing to fight in those arenas become a community of mutual respect and sometimes end up forming their own guild to dominate the rest of the game.

Discuss?

Kir

• Zoner
Re: New game idea for full loot PVP: Abyssal Coliseum
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 10:19:03 PM »
Also benefit: the players who want to pk arent bothering the open world pvEers, only fighting other players interested in pvp.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:21:43 PM by Kir »

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 10:31:58 PM »
The abyssal coliseum would have 10-20 minute timers for repop, depending on how long it takes to complete. The immortals could add instances depending on how popular it is, i recommend starting with just one for now and seeing where it goes.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 11:07:04 PM »
Love the idea.  I'd make the mobs legit enough so that bringing relatively good gear would be necessary.  Drops need to be good enough to incentivize people to do it.  Also consider only having this available during the peak hours to try to get people PVP'ing inside vs. just people doing it at 3:00 AM to get the shinies without most likely running into another group.

Lloth

• God
  • Fodder
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 12:54:04 AM »
I could get behind this idea, with some alterations of course. But what I think the most important part about this post is the community it might create. It could help bridge the gap between rival clans, old feuding enemies ect. It could open dialogue without having one side or the other spiteful that they died and lost all their shit. I really don't group much with people, but everyone that plays seem to ONLY play with people in their clan, I think that needs to change somehow and this could be an enjoyable way to do it.

Bro

• God
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 01:47:13 AM »
I like the potential this has. There are lots of current games of various types that do pvp in a similar way (2 sides working alongside PCs as they attack a goal of other PCs / NPCs). You could even incorporate it's own rank system and it's own rewards with it, though that may get tedious from a balance perspective, but if included in an overall power scheme could work out great.

kielmobile

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 02:09:04 AM »
optional, starter, or limited time idea to get people warmed up:
lesser abyssal colosseum
-can only bring in training gear or similar gear provided by entering the instance
-everyone will be on the same footing so they can practice
-mobs have reduced xp, reduced coins, little to no rank, and no gear at the end

i dont know who reed is, but since he makes a lot of posts he must be old. therefore, actions per minute (APM) of all players inside the hellga... i mean colosseum should be limited to the number of heals he casts per tick, which is roughly 1 or 2 if the main tank is lucky before he dies. also reed should get a special bonus for wearing his favorite gear, the skinner's garb

greater abyssal colosseum:
-all gear that is looted can be sold for real life currency
-ip checks so the chinese farmers do not overpopulate the abyssal colossems
-tricky and unhinted kws to get out of the portal like "snatch string" or "open cliff", otherwise you could be stuck in there forever without being able to rent

Malthros

• Fodder
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 02:38:41 AM »
Synopsis: The evil gods of Krynn have created a coliseum in the abyss in which 2 players (4 characters) can enter one of two portals to the abyss placed on opposite sides of the map.

The entrance is guarded by a somewhat powerful NPC that the players have to kill to enter the portal and prove they are worthy for the challenge. When they enter the portal to the coliseum, they will find NPCs to kill worth very good xp\rank and coins. The coliseum will be no_recall, no quit. The only way to win is to defeat the other team and kill the main boss. When the other team and boss is defeated, takhisis will reward the victors with randomized eq\spell drops. The spells could be made to be whatever the immortals wish, easiest would be chances at chaos books for mages\druids\clerics\shamans. Gear could also be customized however the immortals see fit.

The benefit for players would be: amazing xp and coin drops, and at the end, a chance at good gear\spell drops. You could easily place your main set of gear in the bank vault or on an alt while you switch into gear you are willing to lose, ie an armaboro set or whatever. The second benefit would be to allow players who currently not very comfortable pvping to gain experience in PVP, getting good xp\ rank.

This would allow bored players who want to pvp a chance at pvp. Also if there werent two teams willing to enter, it would allow the bravest people seeking pvp to get free rewards. This would then make it so people might just enter hoping to farm the coliseum mobs but end up having a fight against other people who only wished to farm.

Also, this idea is not really my own but inspired by a full loot mmo that I played when I wasnt playing arctic. In that game its the most fun thing in the game for me. In that game, the people willing to fight in those arenas become a community of mutual respect and sometimes end up forming their own guild to dominate the rest of the game.

Discuss?

Need idea.  One question though:  What prevents a group of people from going in and throwing the fights for someone else to help them get big ranks*/xp/spells/etc from the rewards?

* I'm guessing the ranks would always be big in there as an incentive, since going in to fight right after someone else only to get 0.01% rank would be unfortunate.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 03:25:18 AM »

Discuss?

Need idea.  One question though:  What prevents a group of people from going in and throwing the fights for someone else to help them get big ranks*/xp/spells/etc from the rewards?

* I'm guessing the ranks would always be big in there as an incentive, since going in to fight right after someone else only to get 0.01% rank would be unfortunate.

Agreed the rank mobs would have to be static. Also theres ways to deter that type of behavior but really impossible to prevent it unfortunately. You could make the mob that needs to be killed hard to kill, with the portal spawning after it dies and only lasting a short period so they cant run back and stash their eq. You could make it cost a certain amount to get in, maybe you have to buy some 20k gem somewhere and present it to the mob to get it to become agro. Also keep in mind that if you had a 4v4 inside that is fighting to the death, 4 of those chars are gonna lose xp. Other thing is if they were gonna just cheese it, why not go do a zone instead. My 3rd idea is that, like arenas you could make a coliseum viewing room and players could report other players who are abusing it. 4th idea which would take some coding and not be realistic is that you attach a minimum item value to enter. IE your items have to add up to 2.5k in value or you cant even enter. And again, the rewards would be good, just not necessarily the BEST drops in the game. For example, that same 4 players could just go do blood shoal for better gear\ranks. Also open to other ideas of avoiding abuse.

Also as long as people are playing with good intentions theres no reason two players from the same clan couldn't fight other players from said clan, but if imms wanted to ban that it would be easy for clans to comply.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:33:35 AM by Kir »

khuran10

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 03:44:25 AM »

Discuss?

Let's name these "Hellgates" !!!
I coined the term first!

Shimopy

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 05:54:33 PM »
This is a really cool idea. It reminds me of some WoW battlegrounds, except those didn't have full loot. However, it was a great opportunity for PvE people to take part in PvP.

Couple of questions/clarifications:
-I assume if you get killed, you can't re-enter?
-If all the other teams are killed, but there are only a couple on your team left and you aren't strong enough to beat the final boss, does everyone just die and lose all their gear? I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it's actually an interesting outcome.
-If your team wins, do you just loot whatever you can carry and leave? Which means, unless you have floating discs or huge containers, you may have to choose carefully what you loot. If a bunch of your team died, you may have to choose between CRing them and looting other teams. Again, this isn't a complaint, it's a neat scenario.

feeling enlightened

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 06:20:14 PM »
Personally I’d like to hear from our boy George on this idea.  If he supports it then I could get on board with it too.

George

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 06:30:06 PM »
Honestly, I like this idea. It allows the people who don't want to PvP to be left alone, and the people who do want to PvP enjoy everything about it that they like. My only issue with PvP on Arctic is that the bloodlust always seems to spill over into the people who want nothing to do with it.

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 07:40:47 PM »
its an interesting idea but why do you have to take your own equipment in there?  if i go in this arena i feel like i would get destroyed by some pro pvper with much bigger items than me.

how about a set of gladiator equipment you can put on at the entrance?  then it is more of a fair fight and losing isnt too bad.  the reward can be a random class set piece or coins or ranks or something else.

Wayne

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 09:28:05 PM »
Great idea. I would use this and I think I would love it. Experimenting with skirmish tactics in a closed environment would be a ton of fun. I could see this becoming a mini game where I spend a decent % of my time later wipe. I don't think I'd even need substantial rewards.

The only part that seems strange to me is the full loot. That detail makes this a substantially more expensive mini game. I'm not going to do 10 of these a day if I need to strip gear or risk my set each time.

Just let people buff up, duke it out to the death, shake hands, and do it again.