ArcticMUD > General Discussion

Older player considering adjusting to multi

<< < (2/4) > >>

Malthros:
Some mud clients let you enter commands for one window when typing in another.  Set up some macros for the other character and you can effectively play both from a single location.  No tabbing or focus-swapping needed.

wembley:
the idea is to send commands from the main screen to secondary and to send important info (spells wearing off, skills cooldown, hungry/thirsty, etc) from the secondary to main.

say, you're using tintin which only has single text screen, nothing to alt-tab there. but it has named sessions and sending a command to another session is as simple as putting a sesstion name before the command.

so, you log your main char as #main and your secondary basher as #war

--- Code: ---#alias b {#war bash;#war stand}

--- End code ---
etc etc..
and in the #war sesion you have something like

--- Code: ---#action {You are hungry} {#main #showme YOUR BASHER IS HUNGRY!}

--- End code ---

Zozen:

--- Quote from: wembley on November 17, 2020, 09:29:05 PM ---the idea is to send commands from the main screen to secondary and to send important info (spells wearing off, skills cooldown, hungry/thirsty, etc) from the secondary to main.

say, you're using tintin which only has single text screen, nothing to alt-tab there. but it has named sessions and sending a command to another session is as simple as putting a sesstion name before the command.

so, you log your main char as #main and your secondary basher as #war

--- Code: ---#alias b {#war bash;#war stand}

--- End code ---
etc etc..
and in the #war sesion you have something like

--- Code: ---#action {You are hungry} {#main #showme YOUR BASHER IS HUNGRY!}

--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

I'm terrible at Arctic after seeing this.

Edwai:
Wow i never knew about this, thank you Wembley!!

I tried it out and it works, but there's no way to move my session to another screen. Personally i love playing on 2 screens, it's the best way to stay engaged without alt-tabbing or anything, and helps you see every action (hard to keep up with though in big fights).

The biggest challenge i see personally is i use a tell or grouptell system, with some serious limitations. For the purposes of this example my Main character will be Mainchar 2nd character will be "altchar"

--- Code: ---#alias h {gt altchar fight}}
--- End code ---

and altchar has a separate action and alias:

--- Code: --- #act {^Mainchar tells your group '%0'} {%0}; #alias {fight} {cancel;st;assist;kick;punch;bash}
--- End code ---

There are some other functions i use like this, but the overall problem i typically run into is if "altchar" is blind or stunned or in darkness or otherwise disabled it becomes harder and harder for him to recognize who he is receiving messages from and then the command input fails. If you could run 2 sessions on 2 screens this allows a player to input to both sessions without having to switch screens or use a tell system. #ideal

From my experience this wipe my favourite class for an "altchar" that can do effective damage but doesn't require much direct attention is mountain scout, i can pretty much ignore my scout while he beats everything to death, just needs to keep spamming his instincts.

wembley:
well, most of the time both chars are in the same room, so don't really need first person view for the second char. but if you REALLY need to see it in another window you could log the session and then watch it with tail -f command (linux, but there are ways for windows) in another terminal window :)

--- Code: ---#MACRO {\eOm}
{
    #ses +
}

--- End code ---
this macro (numpad -) circles through sessions when I need to switch to my secondary char and run it to guild or something.

and this splits the screen and makes something like status bar so I can see my secondary char's prompt

--- Code: ---#split 0;
#war #action {^%1H %2V %3X %4% %5C%6Exits%7} {
  #main #showme {%1H %2V %3 %6----------------------------} 1;
}

--- End code ---

covers most of my needs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version