Poll

Has this thread been hijacked by nonsense?

Yes
1 (100%)
No
0 (0%)
Yes, option 2 was really just to throw in a little extra
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Game ideas  (Read 4394 times)

Patpat and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Willoe

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
Re: Game ideas
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »
I'll agree with Eddie that PK is broken and has been neglected. The fact of the matter is you have two groups of people:
1. People who want to pk, want it to be easier to kill people, and want a competitive aspect to the game.
2. People who are casual and want to do what they want to do when they want to do it without hinderance.

Solution:
For "WORLD" PVP make it so you can kill people easily HOWEVER no gear can be looted. CREATE an arena style PVP system where people can compete for possible prizes. Prizes can include exclusive titles(IE General, Warlord, etc.), and possible gear that can ONLY be obtained if you PVP. PVP gear should be competitive and based on the rank one holds. You can add other sorts of rewards to this system and it creates a more controlled PVP environment. You can still jack someone for being a douche however their gear is reserved for them.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2020, 07:59:53 PM »
I like the arena idea. I would rather people put a piece of gear up though. Instead of winning gear prizes. Just you put up a piece. I put up a piece. Etc. Winner(s) take all

George

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2020, 02:25:12 AM »
PK isn't broken, it was changed on purpose, because more people prefer it this way.

Willoe

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2020, 04:29:26 AM »
Given that nobody PK's would imply that it is broken...There are plenty of people that would LOVE to pk if there was a better system in place.

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2020, 03:30:03 PM »
Eddie- They're not going to make pk easier. The playerbase is too old for the time commitment and bullshit attached. More people would quit from it than play from it.

I miss the old days
 too, but they're not coming back.

Yea, I know dude. Oh well. Just wanted to make some suggestions for changes that would make the game fun/interesting for me. Hope everyone who still plays enjoys their game and the updates/changes that do get implemented. I'll be fishing.

George

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2020, 04:45:46 PM »
Given that nobody PK's would imply that it is broken...There are plenty of people that would LOVE to pk if there was a better system in place.

Broken implies that it is not working as intended. And while I agree that there are plenty of people who would love to have a PvP aspect to the game (myself included), there are very few who want pk back. Let's not forget that there were many attempts by both players and staff to curb the cost of players that came with largely unregulated pk. The main complaint about those attempts were that the people who were doing the killing weren't breaking any rules. So, the rules got changed. Purposefully. It's not broken, it's just different. The average number of players at all times of the day went up, and stayed up throughout the wipe. Even the majority the people who claimed they would never play if pk was removed stayed around. A few people quit, but, more people came back.

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2020, 07:37:32 PM »

Broken implies that it is not working as intended. And while I agree that there are plenty of people who would love to have a PvP aspect to the game (myself included), there are very few who want pk back. Let's not forget that there were many attempts by both players and staff to curb the cost of players that came with largely unregulated pk. The main complaint about those attempts were that the people who were doing the killing weren't breaking any rules. So, the rules got changed. Purposefully. It's not broken, it's just different. The average number of players at all times of the day went up, and stayed up throughout the wipe. Even the majority the people who claimed they would never play if pk was removed stayed around. A few people quit, but, more people came back.

Nice. An argument about semantics. That's a strong one...

Anyway, what Ilya means when he says broken is that it is unbalanced in such a fashion that it is gamebreaking. It's a pretty common term in competitive gaming to label something as "broken" when it is overpowered and extremely unbalanced.

Apparently George is too dumb to interpret words beyond their dictionary definition.

George

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2020, 08:05:49 PM »
It isn't an argument about semantics, though. It's a discussion about what constitutes "pk". I'm familiar with the use of the term, and a lack of player killing is neither overpowered nor unbalanced. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it overpowered, and something that doesn't exist cannot be unbalanced. You and Ilya don't want the same thing, but you want to lump yourself in with him because he used the term "pk". Face it, Eddie, you're mad that the behavior and attitude of you and your buddies was the root cause of the change that you so despise.

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2020, 12:29:14 AM »
It isn't an argument about semantics, though. It's a discussion about what constitutes "pk". I'm familiar with the use of the term, and a lack of player killing is neither overpowered nor unbalanced. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it overpowered, and something that doesn't exist cannot be unbalanced. You and Ilya don't want the same thing, but you want to lump yourself in with him because he used the term "pk". Face it, Eddie, you're mad that the behavior and attitude of you and your buddies was the root cause of the change that you so despise.

I never said lack of player killing is unbalanced and overpowered.  The design of PvP/PK combat is flawed to the point where the staff basically had to remove it from the game. It was too easy to kill someone or entire groups of people and take everything someone had worked weeks to acquire. This situation was exacerbated by increasingly more powerful gear and a lack of competition for that top end gear. When one clan had/has all of the best equipment there was virtually no way to compete with them because there is a large disparity in equipment value between said group and the next closest group of players. Having no way to close the gap once a clan has achieved such power is one reason why pk is broken/unbalanced.  Having to risk everything against extremely long odds and further widening that gap makes pk between the top clans completely undesirable.

My proposals to fix pk were ideas to address the broken pk system as it is an aspect of the game that many players do enjoy. I'm not saying they are right but they are alternative solutions to the lazy fixes that have been implemented in the past.  I.e. implementing a huge reduction in PVP damage only ensured in most instances that only the top tier clan could consistently dish out enough damage to kill anybody at all. Any fix to the broken pk system would include mitigating factors to potential losses so bitches like you don't cry like a baby when you get dumpstered again. Your gear is probably not even mote worthy so who cares anyway.

If you want to make the argument that you don't like pk and would prefer that it's not in the game, that's perfectly valid. But it is absolutely idiotic to suggest that pk/pvp is "working as intended". As Ilya pointed out, it isn't working at all because it doesn't happen.

P.s. I'm not lumping myself in with anyone. I have discussed at length the state of PvP in Arctic with Ilya in person. The dude lives 3 minutes away from me. So please don't act like you have any clue where me and him stand on the issue. Whether we agree or not, at least he has a well thought out and respectable position.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 06:13:05 AM by Anista »

George

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2020, 02:55:55 AM »
Actually, over my 25-ish year time on Arctic, I've only been pk'd five or six times. Now, even if it were the case that my experience was "getting dumpstered", that has nothing to do with the discussion. I'm not talking about my experiences with pk, nor my feelings on the matter. What I've said are the facts. PK IS working as intended, because it's intended to not work. The reason that it went to full zero is because when presented with the opportunity to work with the staff and players on those "nuances" you're so fond of, you decided that your response was what amounted to, "git gud". Now, leaving aside the simple fact that not being good at something you don't care about doesn't make you a lesser person or player, you and your cronies were actively driving away players. This is not also not my opinion. The staff at the time was faced with this problem, and you were unwilling to work with them, so they made the simple numbers calculation that ended with your dreams being shattered. It went something like this: If you are someone who cares so much about pk that you will stop playing if it is removed, the chances of you driving away a player who has upset you are very high. If you succeed in driving away that player, you are unlikely to be satisfied, and you will pick a new target, possibly driving that player away. However, if pk is removed and you quit, you can't drive anyone away. So, the numbers made sense to take pk away, because you refused to work with the staff and players to make it fun for everyone. None of this is opinion, and it is pretty well documented right here on the forums. The staff made a full stop on pk, and less people minded than didn't mind. People returned to the game, and people enjoyed it. Changing pk damage is literally a command away. One command would put pk damage back up, and from there changes to CC and all that other stuff you cried about could be looked at. The reason is isn't is, once again, because of players like you. No one in charge cares enough about it to try to work with you anymore, because you made such a colossal mess of it before. Your goal in pk is to make other people suffer, and the staff simply cannot allow that with the player base being as small as it is. Which is why I say Ilya and you do not want the same things. He suggested structured battles, PvP gear and rewards, and no-loot world PvP. You essentially suggested making it so you and your cronies can drive players away again. The only reason you think his position is well thought out and respectable is because you dream that it gets your foot in the door on pk. You certainly didn't seem to think very highly of it when he was making similar suggestions just before the staff brought the hammer down on your noggin.

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2020, 03:56:06 AM »
Alright. You're at least 40 years old and don't understand the difference between your subjective perception and facts.

I have nothing else to offer you and I won't attempt to hijack this thread anymore to educate you on how stupid you are. You can summarize your position by saying "I don't want pk in the open world in any form or capacity".

I came here to make valid suggestions of ideas I think would improve the game by bringing back a facet of it that many players do enjoy in some capacity and might be open to if the form was adapted in a balanced and fair manner that the playerbase and staff agree on. People can agree or disagree with my suggestions or even the concept of addressing pk as a way of making the game more enjoyable. It was never my intention to attempt to lobby the staff to bring pk back as it was before and I don't think the suggestions I made inferred that. I am fully aware that a large portion of the playerbase has no appetite for pk in that form.

Kholos

• Overlord
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Tarsis Treehouse
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2020, 04:07:03 AM »
I only glanced at this post, as I caught wind of it once it was 4 pages long and full of anthologies. I believe in transparency, but also don't want to make promises I can't keep. Reflecting on former posts made by my predecessors, it would be irresponsible to announce a change that wasn't a certainty. With that disclaimer out of the way, I understand how important it is to keep the players informed and engaged. What follows is very unofficial, but let me assure you that the staff shares many of your concerns.

- We are currently and constantly working on bringing new and exciting content to the game. This takes a lot of time.
- We are always looking at improving upon prior systems, while being careful not to approach issues with an over-reaction. Think "sheafs".
- There is a current plan in place to address a host of gear issues. It is quite comprehensive and so I must caution against getting our hopes too high, but if completed it would preserve the spirit of competing for unique gear as well as appealing to hardcore/casual players alike.
- We are working on removing some of the guesswork from some of the game mechanics for players.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:11:43 AM by Kholos »

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2020, 09:36:09 AM »
- We are currently and constantly working on bringing new and exciting content to the game. This takes a lot of time.
- We are always looking at improving upon prior systems, while being careful not to approach issues with an over-reaction. Think "sheafs".
- There is a current plan in place to address a host of gear issues. It is quite comprehensive and so I must caution against getting our hopes too high, but if completed it would preserve the spirit of competing for unique gear as well as appealing to hardcore/casual players alike.
- We are working on removing some of the guesswork from some of the game mechanics for players.

sounds promising.  thanks for the info.  it always makes me happy to know things are being worked on behind teh scenes in this game

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2020, 04:50:12 PM »
Thanks for hopping on this and speaking out a bit.

I only glanced at this post, as I caught wind of it once it was 4 pages long and full of anthologies. I believe in transparency, but also don't want to make promises I can't keep. Reflecting on former posts made by my predecessors, it would be irresponsible to announce a change that wasn't a certainty. With that disclaimer out of the way, I understand how important it is to keep the players informed and engaged. What follows is very unofficial, but let me assure you that the staff shares many of your concerns.

Anista

• Administrator
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: The Abyss
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2020, 06:38:42 PM »

sounds promising.  thanks for the info.  it always makes me happy to know things are being worked on behind teh scenes in this game

Well good, you can always be happy. There is always something in the works!

I can confirm there are quite a few good improvements for next wipe, but we will not be presenting any details or [more] early hints until we're ready to reveal upcoming changes in the next month or two. I am sure some of our reveals will make you smile.