Author Topic: Game ideas  (Read 3958 times)

Jorake

• Zone Leader
Re: Game ideas
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 03:44:57 PM »
Would love some feedback from higher level immortals on this.

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »
Or just remove item limits entirely. The biggest argument that I've seen against it is something along the lines of: "I want to feel special, and having this item that no one else has makes me special." But, in reality, it doesn't make you special. If ten people know how to load a limit one item, and it loads on the sixth run, the first five people are just unlucky. It doesn't make the sixth person better at the game, and it doesn't make them special. It makes the first five people annoyed that they ran a zone and what they wanted didn't load.

The only ACTUAL argument against it is something to the effect of: "We don't want a group of seven people with Wyrmslayer and a curer running around beating up on dragons." Or the similar ideas with similar items. However, there is a way around this as well. There already exists a UNIQUE flag in the game. It wouldn't be very difficult to expand this flag to check the group. If one person has Wyrmslayer wielded, and another person in the same group wields it, both items are immediately placed in the inventory of the characters. This way, if you're JUST at the level of being able to kill a certain dragon, you don't have to wait for the ONE person in the whole world who has Wyrmslayer (who may or may not have a job/family/life_outside_Arctic) to be able to log on to either pass it off or join the group. It makes the people who have worked out how to load the fun items the ability to load them with something other than dumb luck of locating or running a zone at the right time dictating the chances.

As for the game breaking items (hastes/nobashes/dragon orbs), if you cannot bear the idea of removing them from the game, leave them limited. Let those few people who need to feel special battle with each other for them, while the rest of the players continues to not care about them at all.

You're wrong about the luck thing. There's a reason the best players keep their items.

I don't understand why it would matter if a group ran around with 3 Wyrmslayers. Who gives a shit. If gear is unlimited, you're not competing against anyone else anyway

Bro

• Guardian
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 04:52:59 PM »
I was thinking of what things I would change on the mud that wouldn't take a lot of coding and would make a huge difference to the people who like to play strong and then let it balance out with real life again; instead of just quitting.

1. No limit +1 stat items: I would make pretty much any item that is just a single +1 stat INCLUDING damroll no limit; at least from certain zones. Who cares if everyone and their brother has a pair of carved dragon claw rings. Or barbed wire boots. I mean really. It would mean there is always something loading in almost every zone. Which would make people put in more time. I doubt it would have any severe impact on the game really.

2. Take away coin cost to rent: This would be really nice. Hell, i would just make it so nolimit eq doesn't even cost to rent, if anything. There have been times when I was like "man I'm getting sorta burnt out. I guess I'll take a break" Maybe i wanted to break for 2-3 weeks. That means the constant grinding i put in before those 2-3 weeks gear wise is for nothing. Or maybe I don't have enough cash to take a 2-3 week break. SO I just end up dropping all of my shit and usually Rich picks it up!

3. Decay items: This isn't the most important one for me. But it certainly is for some people. I've come to the understanding and made my peace with the fact that I'm gonna lose eq. This goes back to the break thing. Take something like.. Idk. Holy talisman and belt from bluff? Maybe. Just whatever low load rate item. I pretty much dont even care anymore when I do play. If i lose something I just go look for other shit to pop instead. Because I don't want to sit around the same zone for 6 hours that day trying to get my shit back. It drives me insane. SO i just don't do it anymore. It'll get a proper locate and then if its not up. I'm over it.

4. Spell loads: This one.. Well I just think that spell loads should be way more frequent. Again. Who cares if 45 people have acid mist or their black robe relocates or their red robe mirror images. I mean. Really. When someone gets these spells; they get super excited to use them. They have this rush and it makes them want to play more. It makes them think about "What can I do with this character now that I couldn't do before" And is it so game breaking if more people had these spells? Fact is, not everyone will have or have the chance to get prism/power word stun/nightmare etc etc. Those books will still be top tier and unless you got a buddy who hooks you up... I would also make more spells guild spells. You have to go find a tablet for paralyze? That lvl 30 or whatever guild teacher can't teach you this spell? Ice storm is out of their realm of knowledge? Maybe make it a quest or something in solace but it is not gaming breaking if some of these lower tier spells are made guild spells.

5. Additional characters: I haven't even logged in for a while. But the last time I did log in there were 7 people on. Of different clans. I think Corey mentioned this in another thread, but I'll touch on it again. Playing 2 characters 90% of the time is more than enough. Yes you are relegated to playing a shaman/druid/cleric + whatever else most of the time to do anything worth doing. I didn't do it this wipe but last wipe i did Glymmer with just my shaman/paladin and a fair amount of prep. I do think that upping the limit to possibly 4 or whatever would make a difference in the slow time. It would open up a lot more options when the numbers are just to low to do anything worth doing. Or if you don't want to spend 2-3 hours in a zone trying to be super careful. This would also go with the no limit eq idea. If alot of the gear was no limit then it wouldn't just have this major vacuum on a few elite players multis.

6. Class Item sets: I wanted this to be its own thing. Item sets at the very least should be no limit. It would be a great way for people coming back or joining mid wipe or whatever to get into the game. Again, it would not break the game if there were 15 scout sets in the game. I would also make these never decay. Or have a huge timer. As it stands, you load 6 pieces of whatever class set and then you lose 1 piece. depending on the set piece its hard to get back for a casual player.

Anyhow those are just some Sunday morning thoughts.

Would love some feedback from higher level immortals on this.

I'm not a higher level immortal, and I don't currently have much more information that any other player would have. That said, the game is fighting 2 battles. One is the inherent power creep. The group limit being reduced over time is one way to combat this. Lots of things have lead to power creep in the game. Most recently reincarnation, but most frequent is new creation content with high end fancy items. So while the staff wants to manage the power creep curve, creators want to make cooler items then ever before. I am very much on board for thinking of cool ideas to manage equipment and the decay cycle/system, as to me this is both the most fun part of the game (something cool loaded!) and the least fun part of the game (managing decays, especially when I can't always manage my play times). Step 1 of any solution is outlining how you want something to be. You've mostly done this step. The next step is outlining how to accomplish this in a cohesive system that works for the game. While you have numbered 6 things, 1,2,3,4,6 all are specifically related to character power. The problem with making things too easy, is no one will care to bother playing the game. If there is ZERO challenge, why play? It's a glorified chat room and will quickly die. So you can't just make the most elite items (wyrmslayer etc) unlimited, make acid mist and stun guild. You'll start with numbers that you now have in the late wipe and probably maintain those few, but you'll have lost many people who like the challenge. Now, this isn't an all or nothing scenario. We can think of ways to make elements of this work. It may be possible to have more than 1 of traditionally limit 1 items, but not make it unlimited. But you still have to find a way to manage the balance of the overall game and what that does for early game / mid game / late game content. This leads into the 2nd battle the game itself is fighting. Keeping players/characters motivated to keep playing. If you make things too easy and make 2/3 of the game trivial, it isn't enjoyable for anyone and just serves to make it an unnecessary grind. When offering big types of changes, try to think of ways to implement it for the entire playerbase, not just your experience, and from a standpoint of keeping the game challenging while still providing a carrot (reason to play, strive to play more) for players to keep playing. Currently the carrot is trying to get limit 1 items or rare spells, or highest rank achievable, but there are other ways to implement the carrot. I think this administration is very receptive to ideas, but they need to be nuanced and seriously thought out to be considered.

Regarding your #5, playing more characters. I can say I personally don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. A good many people don't want more then 2 right now. For me, one of the things I miss most about "old" Arctic is how the social part of the game has significantly decreased. There's less shout communications / fun shenanigans going on, and very rarely do you ever see random pick up groups occurring. Adding more characters per player reduces this even more.

Just my feedback. Again, I'm not a high level imm and I don't know much more than anyone else posting in this thread, but I bet I'm right. If you want actual feedback, you need to post more detailed thoughts on how each of your suggestions would be implemented and the effects it would have on the game itself, other players. If you make an earnest effort to do that, you'll get a higher immortal's attention and either public or private feedback. I can promise you they are interested in hearing complete concepts about gear / spells / power creep. Posting a wishlist of things you want is nice and has generated some excellent discussion, but we need to get at least a step further if there's any hope for implementation.

George

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 07:38:41 PM »

You're wrong about the luck thing. There's a reason the best players keep their items.

I don't understand why it would matter if a group ran around with 3 Wyrmslayers. Who gives a shit. If gear is unlimited, you're not competing against anyone else anyway

I'm talking about getting an item, not keeping it. If Wyrmslayer decays in rent, and run Pax at the right time, I get Wyrmslayer. That's my good luck, your bad luck. It doesn't make me better at the game. Keeping an item is a combination of dedication, having people on your side who can load an item if you are unable to for whatever reason, and to a lesser degree, cheating. (I'm fairly sure that destroying an item when you have time to reload it was decided as abusing games mechanics at one point) You can't "keep" an item you never had.

Lloth

• Guardian
  • Fodder
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 07:51:26 PM »
A good post by Bro tackling the real issue. People suggest things up and down without leaving people wondering "what is the imm staff doing, these are all great ideas!"  but that's the problem, they are just ideas people have. Sure, I have a ton of ideas that I think would be great for the game. In order to even have a chance of any of them being considered, I would want to do as much of the work as possible so the imm's don't have to come up with the solution.   

For spell loads: I think more overall spells should load on a variety of 'new' mobs that haven't loaded them before. Once we pass the halfway point of the wipe, perhaps the % could increase by 25% to allow more people a chance at these spells for their alts. Mainly, when there's fewer and fewer people playing, it can be difficult to round up a posse to load these spells. So when they actually do find the time to run it and it doesn't load, well, that sucks.

If you came up with a list of items that could possibly get their limit increased, that's something to go off of.

Each nobash has their limit increased to 2
Wyrmslayer has its limit increased to 2
Nightbringer's limit increased to 2
A holy talisman limit increased to 4
An amulet of darkness limit increased to 6
Gauntlets of abyssal might limit increased to 3

And as most people have said, definitely a no on the amount of characters a player can play at once.

Just meet the imms in the middle and help them out by coming up with some good, quality discussions and solutions.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 09:23:51 PM »
I agree with Bro’s post as well. In the current state of Arctic, all you need is legend characters and a set with decent bonuses and you can do all content in the game as long as you pop your dps some +dams. I can think of at least one set thats easy locate thats +4 dams. With ranks and 28 str, +10 dam is easily attainable without any hardships endured. I have been playing the game casually for about 1 to 2 months with basically two naked characters in a group of players who are all basically naked and we can do whatever content we want at the moment. If limit one items became unlimited, The game would just be far too easy. And a game that is that easy is like reading a book in which you already know the ending. I’m not going to sit through 1000 pages of reading when I already know exactly what’s going to happen. That doesn’t interest me. If I wanted easy I would go play World of Warcraft where the only investment you need is time to be elite.

I do however agree with Jorakes point that spell loads are Absurdly low and makes the process of legending caster classes far too dependent on RNG. Im personally a fan of skill/intelligence over RNG.

I also agree in part that certain sets should be unlimited and relatively easy to pop. I like to think of them as ‘starter sets’ in which if you dt or get pked, you can get a decent set quickly instead of just being screwed over and quit. Ive recommended to imms to bring back the sharkskin set. Maybe armaboro should load 2-3 pieces instead of 1 per run. Maybe the ivory set should load more frequently. That way the staff can help the players at the bottom or returning players without adding to the power creep.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:26:47 PM by Kir »

corey

• Zone Leader
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 09:48:08 PM »
A good post by Bro tackling the real issue. People suggest things up and down without leaving people wondering "what is the imm staff doing, these are all great ideas!"  but that's the problem, they are just ideas people have. Sure, I have a ton of ideas that I think would be great for the game. In order to even have a chance of any of them being considered, I would want to do as much of the work as possible so the imm's don't have to come up with the solution.   

For spell loads: I think more overall spells should load on a variety of 'new' mobs that haven't loaded them before. Once we pass the halfway point of the wipe, perhaps the % could increase by 25% to allow more people a chance at these spells for their alts. Mainly, when there's fewer and fewer people playing, it can be difficult to round up a posse to load these spells. So when they actually do find the time to run it and it doesn't load, well, that sucks.

If you came up with a list of items that could possibly get their limit increased, that's something to go off of.

Each nobash has their limit increased to 2
Wyrmslayer has its limit increased to 2
Nightbringer's limit increased to 2
A holy talisman limit increased to 4
An amulet of darkness limit increased to 6
Gauntlets of abyssal might limit increased to 3

And as most people have said, definitely a no on the amount of characters a player can play at once.

Just meet the imms in the middle and help them out by coming up with some good, quality discussions and solutions.

This upped item limit doesn't really solve any issues. One clan now has 6 nobashes instead of 3. Chris keeps 4 spare amulets of darkness rented instead of x. I keep two Wyrmslayers in my girdle instead of one.

Lloth

• Guardian
  • Fodder
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 10:55:25 PM »
You could all stop being greedy little goblins too. I don't ever see the point in keeping stuff rented when someone could potentially use the item. You could trade items to other clans for items you want. You could sell them. You could donate them to some newb. It's exactly reasons like that that people get discouraged and annoyed at the current equipment system. People like you hoard all the gear on your alts and nothing loads so they don't see the point in playing. I get that you like to flex that you rent your wyrmslayer and shadowbane in your girdle, but that's only making you look like a tool.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 11:08:27 PM »
I now know why Biden is about to be the POTUS.  Just read this thread.  Good luck everyone!

corey

• Zone Leader
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 11:12:19 PM »
You could all stop being greedy little goblins too. I don't ever see the point in keeping stuff rented when someone could potentially use the item. You could trade items to other clans for items you want. You could sell them. You could donate them to some newb. It's exactly reasons like that that people get discouraged and annoyed at the current equipment system. People like you hoard all the gear on your alts and nothing loads so they don't see the point in playing. I get that you like to flex that you rent your wyrmslayer and shadowbane in your girdle, but that's only making you look like a tool.

I only kept 1.5 geared characters at any one time. I used different weapons for different situations so I don't see the issue

George

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2020, 11:18:39 PM »

Or... You could remove the item limits. Then it doesn't matter what Corey or anyone else does in regards to hoarding. Ilya and Corey have, historically speaking, LONG been known/disliked for their hoarding of eq and information. Why are they my biggest allies in the desire to take the eq hoarding away from them? The bottom line is that Corey isn't doing anything illegal, or even wrong by hoarding eq. Rather than being in one clan when there were a bunch of people in it, it's now on a few people and their many alts, because less people that Corey plays with are actually playing. The net gain/loss of eq to the average player is zero. Removing item limits lets people who don't usually see eq see and use it. Right now, you can't even tell if you've solved something fun, because it's already gone, and it's likely to stay gone. That sucks, and is the sole reason I haven't even bothered to explore some of the new zones. Everything good is gone, so I don't even know if I've solved anything.

I agree with Bro’s post as well. In the current state of Arctic, all you need is legend characters and a set with decent bonuses and you can do all content in the game as long as you pop your dps some +dams. I can think of at least one set thats easy locate thats +4 dams. With ranks and 28 str, +10 dam is easily attainable without any hardships endured. I have been playing the game casually for about 1 to 2 months with basically two naked characters in a group of players who are all basically naked and we can do whatever content we want at the moment. If limit one items became unlimited, The game would just be far too easy. And a game that is that easy is like reading a book in which you already know the ending. I’m not going to sit through 1000 pages of reading when I already know exactly what’s going to happen. That doesn’t interest me. If I wanted easy I would go play World of Warcraft where the only investment you need is time to be elite.

I do however agree with Jorakes point that spell loads are Absurdly low and makes the process of legending caster classes far too dependent on RNG. Im personally a fan of skill/intelligence over RNG.

I also agree in part that certain sets should be unlimited and relatively easy to pop. I like to think of them as ‘starter sets’ in which if you dt or get pked, you can get a decent set quickly instead of just being screwed over and quit. Ive recommended to imms to bring back the sharkskin set. Maybe armaboro should load 2-3 pieces instead of 1 per run. Maybe the ivory set should load more frequently. That way the staff can help the players at the bottom or returning players without adding to the power creep.

This viewpoint confuses me. One one hand, you're saying that all you need is time to become elite (being able to do whatever content you want definitely counts as being "elite"), then, in that same hand, you're saying that you wouldn't play if all you needed to invest was time... If you can do whatever content you want with the trash items you say you have, then what difference does it make if you have the fun items, too?

I'm not a higher level immortal, and I don't currently have much more information that any other player would have. That said, the game is fighting 2 battles. One is the inherent power creep. The group limit being reduced over time is one way to combat this. Lots of things have lead to power creep in the game. Most recently reincarnation, but most frequent is new creation content with high end fancy items. So while the staff wants to manage the power creep curve, creators want to make cooler items then ever before. I am very much on board for thinking of cool ideas to manage equipment and the decay cycle/system, as to me this is both the most fun part of the game (something cool loaded!) and the least fun part of the game (managing decays, especially when I can't always manage my play times). Step 1 of any solution is outlining how you want something to be. You've mostly done this step. The next step is outlining how to accomplish this in a cohesive system that works for the game. While you have numbered 6 things, 1,2,3,4,6 all are specifically related to character power. The problem with making things too easy, is no one will care to bother playing the game. If there is ZERO challenge, why play? It's a glorified chat room and will quickly die. So you can't just make the most elite items (wyrmslayer etc) unlimited, make acid mist and stun guild. You'll start with numbers that you now have in the late wipe and probably maintain those few, but you'll have lost many people who like the challenge. Now, this isn't an all or nothing scenario. We can think of ways to make elements of this work. It may be possible to have more than 1 of traditionally limit 1 items, but not make it unlimited. But you still have to find a way to manage the balance of the overall game and what that does for early game / mid game / late game content. This leads into the 2nd battle the game itself is fighting. Keeping players/characters motivated to keep playing. If you make things too easy and make 2/3 of the game trivial, it isn't enjoyable for anyone and just serves to make it an unnecessary grind. When offering big types of changes, try to think of ways to implement it for the entire playerbase, not just your experience, and from a standpoint of keeping the game challenging while still providing a carrot (reason to play, strive to play more) for players to keep playing. Currently the carrot is trying to get limit 1 items or rare spells, or highest rank achievable, but there are other ways to implement the carrot. I think this administration is very receptive to ideas, but they need to be nuanced and seriously thought out to be considered.

Regarding your #5, playing more characters. I can say I personally don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. A good many people don't want more then 2 right now. For me, one of the things I miss most about "old" Arctic is how the social part of the game has significantly decreased. There's less shout communications / fun shenanigans going on, and very rarely do you ever see random pick up groups occurring. Adding more characters per player reduces this even more.

Just my feedback. Again, I'm not a high level imm and I don't know much more than anyone else posting in this thread, but I bet I'm right. If you want actual feedback, you need to post more detailed thoughts on how each of your suggestions would be implemented and the effects it would have on the game itself, other players. If you make an earnest effort to do that, you'll get a higher immortal's attention and either public or private feedback. I can promise you they are interested in hearing complete concepts about gear / spells / power creep. Posting a wishlist of things you want is nice and has generated some excellent discussion, but we need to get at least a step further if there's any hope for implementation.

Personally (and I understand that this doesn't speak for everyone, or even the majority) I think you're wrong about the "carrot". To me, the goal is to enjoy solving zones, exploring places, and loading eq, whether or not I keep, sell, give away, or drain it. I don't care in the slightest if every single other person playing knows how to load every piece of eq from a zone I have not yet solved. My goal is to solve that zone, and enjoy doing it. If a zone loads nightmare and I need nightmare, I'd like to be able to do it. If I had nightmare, and that same zone loads nightmare again, I'll sell or give it away. I don't care who else has the spell, it doesn't affect me in the slightest. Same goes for eq. If I want to play by myself, or with my friends, it just doesn't matter who else has what. There is no pk, so the competition for equipment is just annoying. Corey has what he has, and no one is going to take it from him for a couple reasons. First, and foremost, he's good at pk. If you can kill him, you better believe he can kill you back. Second, it helps when Corey is bored and decides to use some of that eq to speed up zones for random groups. I know this, because he's been in mine a couple times. I'm not terribly interested in the social aspect of the game. I have a few people that I like playing with, but, being able to play by myself when/have the time to play is far more attractive. I shout for groups several times a week, and almost never get any responses. I play a tank/healer, know how to lead most of the zones in the game, rarely get lost or mass rip unless people aren't paying attention (another drawback of the social aspect of the game, people have lives, I do not) and there are a couple people who tell to me asking if I'm zoning and have room. That's it. The social aspect is playing with people you already play with.

Lloth

• Guardian
  • Fodder
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 12:32:21 AM »
You say you enjoy solving and exploring zones, yet you can't be bothered to explore any new zones because the rewards aren't there. So which is it dude? Unlimited gear will be absolutely stupid for this game. Thankfully I know that will never happen.

George

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2020, 01:01:52 AM »
No, I said I won't enjoy it because I don't know if I've solved anything.

Willoe

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2020, 01:30:50 AM »
Not sure why folks think unlimited gear is so bad. Removing limits doesn't mean making it easy to obtain. Make the %'s hard, these will be soft limits. Not every person may want to spam a zone dozens/hundreds of time to get the piece of eq they want, or possibly get lucky in their first few runs. The fact of the matter is that eq limits were put in place to ensure that one clan or group of players didn't get too strong due to PVP. Instead, now without PVP, we generally see 1-2 top clans get all of the elite EQ and then there is nothing left for anyone else. How great would it be to be able to run zones and actually know something MIGHT load. Instead you have zones that get run literally ONLY if someone needs a spell, ranks(maybe), or if something decays. Decays literally ruin the player experience. It is there to ensure EQ cycles but pisses people off when they lose their shiny. Lots of other games have been able to BUILD UP and create harder, more expansive dungeons/zones as they improve their baseline of power for their characters. Instead we continue to try and create NEW zones with the same power level...we flood the game with the same ass gear with a different name. Removing limits will do a few things:
1. Give more people access to the top end gear
2. Increase the baseline of character strength to allow for harder more challenging zones
3. Allow people to feel like they DON'T HAVE to log on to chase their decays/get pissed when they miss one. I know MANY that have quit due to this constant cycle/grind.
4. Allow for new interesting gear to be introduced to the game that isn't deemed "too powerful"

The pro's HEAVILY outway the con's. I really hope the staff consider this. Especially when one of the pro's is KEEPING players.

Anyway, not sure why I'm poking around, perhaps I miss some of you asshats...can't see myself coming back without some real change in this regard however. Wish ya'll well!

Willoe/Ilya
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:35:26 AM by Willoe »

Bro

• Guardian
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2020, 03:06:24 AM »
Personally (and I understand that this doesn't speak for everyone, or even the majority) I think you're wrong about the "carrot". To me, the goal is to enjoy solving zones, exploring places, and loading eq, whether or not I keep, sell, give away, or drain it. I don't care in the slightest if every single other person playing knows how to load every piece of eq from a zone I have not yet solved. My goal is to solve that zone, and enjoy doing it. If a zone loads nightmare and I need nightmare, I'd like to be able to do it. If I had nightmare, and that same zone loads nightmare again, I'll sell or give it away. I don't care who else has the spell, it doesn't affect me in the slightest. Same goes for eq. If I want to play by myself, or with my friends, it just doesn't matter who else has what. There is no pk, so the competition for equipment is just annoying. Corey has what he has, and no one is going to take it from him for a couple reasons. First, and foremost, he's good at pk. If you can kill him, you better believe he can kill you back. Second, it helps when Corey is bored and decides to use some of that eq to speed up zones for random groups. I know this, because he's been in mine a couple times. I'm not terribly interested in the social aspect of the game. I have a few people that I like playing with, but, being able to play by myself when/have the time to play is far more attractive. I shout for groups several times a week, and almost never get any responses. I play a tank/healer, know how to lead most of the zones in the game, rarely get lost or mass rip unless people aren't paying attention (another drawback of the social aspect of the game, people have lives, I do not) and there are a couple people who tell to me asking if I'm zoning and have room. That's it. The social aspect is playing with people you already play with.

I'm the same way, I like to know how to do stuff, load what I want or friends want etc. But not everyone is wired the same, which is the entire point. Any suggested solution needs to think about the playerbase as a whole. If there are tradeoffs that need to be made to appease some players that prefer it one way or the other, it needs to be specified and understood.

Also, I agree the social aspect has turned mostly into playing with the people we already play with, but I came back last year after being away from the game for 6 years and didn't tell anyone I was playing and met a bunch of people who have been playing this game like i have for 25 years (some more, some less) that I had not encountered before. Just an interesting thing. I get not everyone is social, and usually I'm not either tbh, but because there are other people it makes the game interesting to me. If this was just me playing vs the game I'd quit pretty quick. Good luck to you, I have not noticed anyone constantly shouting for groups (though have seen some for sure), and the times I did I haven't had time to play, but maybe I'll catch up with you sometime and we can kill some mobiles and load some things!