Author Topic: Reincarnate and ability points  (Read 1954 times)

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
Reincarnate and ability points
« on: September 13, 2020, 05:01:52 PM »
Reincarnate should be toned down.

6 reincarnates is too much. It's deep into burnout territory for any normal player.
Base ability points are no longer useful on gear because of this as well. You even need to be careful that your character stat roll and legendary ranks don't cap you. Previously legendary items received a stealth nerf because of this (I now see a dam/2str neck as a dam neck. I see a 2dam 2str 2con helm as 2dam flat).

Solution:

Cap reincarnates at 3. This will do four things
1. Make stats more meaningful
2. Alleviate burnout
3. Increase overall value of ranks to a character as the cap is lower
4. Make playing alternate characters less daunting

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
Re: Reincarnate and ability points
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 10:59:23 PM »
Thank you for bringing this up. I completely agree. 6 is way too much. I felt 2-3 was the sweet spot. Right now a lot of the "elite equip" that have +2 stats/multiple stats/etc are basically "meh" once you reincarnate as you are practically maxxed out on your prime stats for the class you are playing and a lot of your other stats have been filled in.

corey

• Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 03:53:41 AM »
Yep. Items like a certain skull from a certain dragon in a certain zone that ends with harkas is just a giant piece of poop now.

Dagda

• Fodder
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 01:17:34 PM »
I mean this is easy, just stop at 3.

corey

• Zone Leader
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 02:36:55 PM »

That's the idea.

I have 5-6 r6 legend chars. There is no "stopping before max".

Dagda

• Fodder
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 05:04:57 PM »

That's the idea.

I have 5-6 r6 legend chars. There is no "stopping before max".

That sounds like a 'you' problem.

George

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 05:37:54 PM »
yeah this is a ridiculous "problem". you not having the self control to not reincarnate 6 times is no reason to stop everyone else who enjoys it from doing it. i thought that was the whole point of reincarnation anyways, to give the regular joe player the means to have a max out character through mindless grinding. if you don't want to do 6... don't. if you don't want to have max strength from reincarnation bonuses, put those points somewhere else. if you don't like legend animate... don't use it. don't buy it. spend those ranks elsewhere. a lot of people use legend animate to be able to get places and do hard zones that they don't have the group or gear to do otherwise. if you don't need it, don't use it. if you can't help but use it even though you don't need it, then you need to work on yourself, not take away from others.

corey

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 06:08:22 PM »
yeah this is a ridiculous "problem". you not having the self control to not reincarnate 6 times is no reason to stop everyone else who enjoys it from doing it. i thought that was the whole point of reincarnation anyways, to give the regular joe player the means to have a max out character through mindless grinding. if you don't want to do 6... don't. if you don't want to have max strength from reincarnation bonuses, put those points somewhere else. if you don't like legend animate... don't use it. don't buy it. spend those ranks elsewhere. a lot of people use legend animate to be able to get places and do hard zones that they don't have the group or gear to do otherwise. if you don't need it, don't use it. if you can't help but use it even though you don't need it, then you need to work on yourself, not take away from others.

"Don't use it" is not a good answer. It's within the confines of the game.

You don't run a race and not use one of your feet.

George

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 07:51:00 PM »

you do if you bitch about how using two feet makes the race too easy... what do you care if other people are reincarnating 6 times? it doesn't affect you at all. put your extra points elsewhere and use that skull you've got such a boner for to get the stats you want where you want them.

corey

• Zone Leader
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 08:25:04 PM »

you do if you bitch about how using two feet makes the race too easy... what do you care if other people are reincarnating 6 times? it doesn't affect you at all. put your extra points elsewhere and use that skull you've got such a boner for to get the stats you want where you want them.

I don't know why you feel the need to be such a bapt. The idea was laid out and you're allowed to voice your opinion.

Play calm, soldier boy
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:30:14 AM by corey »

George

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 08:48:08 PM »
not sure why youre offended. all i did was voice an opinion that didn't agree with your opinion. are you really offended by my choice of words? you? ...really?

Vespin

• Guardian
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
I think the biggest issue is the top tier end game items are not and were not created with their owners having +12 innate stat, 100 medal points and legendary benefits in mind.  You have an antiquated value system for how "good" an item is that just devalues it overall, which then leads to artificially bloated gear.  The casual player some are describing who benefit from the full 6 reincarnates to shore up their lack of elite gear are never going to see items off cyan or blazewight or kraken or whatever.  So i'm not sure why we're getting up in arms.  These problems don't conflict.  Instead of cyan loading an item that is +6 stat and 5 nice flags that are SUPER common to be placed on medals or ranks, you have to look for other ways to make them attractive.  otherwise you're literally doing cyan for a 30 rank point item, of which you're kinda only happy about the damage/spell damage type flag.  Yeah, first world problems, but these problems were never anything the casual player was going to deal with anyway.  so it's a problem for the player who plays at that level, which is just as valid in maintaining player-engagement.   I don't know that there is a solution, other than vastly toning down what you can buy with ranks/medal affinity (which harms casual players) or shifting the focus away from autos/+stat on top tier equipment.  but basically +stat on almost any item is just adding fake_value for top tier high end gear.  It really is a problem when i look at an iconic end game item and think "huh. out of all the flags on this, i guess the only benefit i actually receive is saving 250 coins now and again.  that's a shame."  And yeah, i could just not use it, but the issue is, the other comparable stuff is all similar.  "i guess i get partial value somewhere."  and these are iconic items people used to start wars over.  not just stuff you can get anywhere as a casual participant.

Dagda

• Fodder
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 10:49:30 PM »
+1 Vespin. that's the answer, update the gear not ruin the fun of the casual player - which exist in far greater number than the elite player.

corey

• Zone Leader
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 11:19:07 PM »
I should have split this one into two posts. One about player burnout and one about gear stats. They're currently two symptoms of the same problem.

Agree with Vespin, as I do with most things.

Is there no feel of burnout for 6 reincarnates from others? It takes its toll on my soul.

Even if the benefits per reincarnate were doubled and the total number of reincarnates halved, therefore nullifying any loss to player power, I still think that's a step in the right direction.

Dagda

• Fodder
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 01:09:34 AM »
At least give sadomasochists who play neutral some sort of xp earning bonus on reincarnating. It's painful.