Author Topic: Animate Dead  (Read 292 times)

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
Animate Dead
« on: June 25, 2020, 09:11:47 AM »
So let's stop ignoring the elephant in the room...

Animate Dead is bapted. I shouldn't be able to deal 6 annihilate/obliterates a round with crap animates, then 6x obliterate/mutilates on top tiers. Add in rapture and there's another 2x obliterate/mutilates.

This needs to be changed. Max one corpse, No weapons. Make them the same strength as a mid-high tier corpse right now with a good weapon on and leave it at that.

This spell is utterly broken.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
Re: Animate Dead
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 10:40:37 AM »
So let's stop ignoring the elephant in the room...

Animate Dead is bapted. I shouldn't be able to deal 6 annihilate/obliterates a round with crap animates, then 6x obliterate/mutilates on top tiers. Add in rapture and there's another 2x obliterate/mutilates.

This needs to be changed. Max one corpse, No weapons. Make them the same strength as a mid-high tier corpse right now with a good weapon on and leave it at that.

This spell is utterly broken.

It's been this way for years and people were saying that clerics needed love not nerfs.  Has something changed?  Corey's suggestions do make sense though. Maybe throw in some quality of life (like summoning circle can bring grouped corpses or something) and start selling shark jaws again.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 11:42:37 AM »
It's all relative.

I did Amity, Glymmer, Argentine, and various other hard fights with my white robe and shaman. Conversely, Frostbyte fist-bapted me. Well skilled, spelled, geared and strategised characters can do a lot, but certain things will also counter your crew. There are fights that break animates... just not many.

Back to the point... I agree animate is pretty beasty, but given how boring clerics are it would seem unfair to take away their most enjoyable function. It could probably do with a nerf though. There's no other spell that is as good for PVE... other than heal maybe.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:47:20 AM by Jorquin »

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 01:34:39 PM »
I would leave the corpse power the same on animate and lower the number by 1. Since you get a gate charmie as well that can do decent damage

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
Don't you dare touch animate!  That's the only reason anyone would ever play the class.  If we went through all of the OP things for each class, we could make a similar case for how ridiculous other things are.  I'm fairly certain almost every fight in the game could be healed now without a cleric, so if we want to take away the one thing cleric can do well, stick the fork in them. 

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
Don't you dare touch animate!  That's the only reason anyone would ever play the class.  If we went through all of the OP things for each class, we could make a similar case for how ridiculous other things are.  I'm fairly certain almost every fight in the game could be healed now without a cleric, so if we want to take away the one thing cleric can do well, stick the fork in them.

Animate is pretty bapted.

Maybe make them do something else instead.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 08:57:44 PM »
I agree with Reed with clerics. Really no class needs to be nerfed right now. Sure animate is good for some stuff, but it's not breaking the game. The people that can do big things are doing end game content with it or without it--doesn't really matter. Sure it speeds up xping and some zones but so do a few class duo combos. During 2x xp I was pulling 80-85m an hour at one point not using a cleric. Rarely do we need a healer for most zones.

And looking at #s recently I think if something is a bit overpowered to keep people around... so be it?

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 09:34:52 AM »

Animate dead is way too easy to load and should not be a legendary requirement.  Sort of like the other big spells like healing cloud, granite hands, twisted fate, omen.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 02:44:12 PM »
It definitely is overpowered.  Just like legend volley throwing 6 oblits a round, or legend mountains, or legend heal cloud, or legend wave, etc.  Let's ask all of our shaman friends how they've enjoyed their spirits nerf this wipe.  It's nice for people to be able to do mid-high zones with 2 or 4 chars and drag in their corpse friends.

kanu

• Fodder
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »
I suspect that there is a combination that are using to make your animates beastly which I have not yet discovered. None of my animates does more than massacre/annilihate and massacre is much more likely. Maybe animated corpses shouldn't be allowed to wield weapons at all? That would make the amount of damage done more reasonable for people such as yourself without nerfing a less-hard-core persons' ability to enjoy using the spell.