Author Topic: Giving it a try after +/- 19 years away  (Read 10362 times)

Terristen

Giving it a try after +/- 19 years away
« on: July 14, 2013, 08:53:59 AM »
First, I'm SO happy to see ArcticMUD still going after all these years! I miss the halcyon days of college spending 2 or three days straight in the computer lab, eating out of a vending machine, fueled by nothing but Mt. Dew and an unhealthy addiction to this game!

I'm going to give it a try again, though my typing skills are nowhere near where they were back in the 90s. I was stunned to see that so much of the game mechanics simply came back to me (and even happier to see that those mechanics haven't changed much over the years).

Someone messaged me in game last night to tell me my character name was dumb... "Trew" (since it's just the keyboard letters backwards). I LOLed because Trew began her existance as a rogue/thief here on Arctic in 1994. Her brother, "Rew" began in 1993. Those two have been all over the gaming universe, always as incarnations of their original Arctic souls. My kids even laugh at me because They know exactly what classes I'm playing when they see the character name.... and they have learned how crazy their dad is thanks to these two alter-egos. :)

I told that person that messaged me, that the name is simple for a reason. Rew was a Gnomish Druid, and Trew was a Kinder Thief. Neither of them could withstand much direct attention in battle, so the easier I made it to "resc rew" the longer I lived! The same held for Trew, except back in those days, since everyone knew me mainly as Rew, most people pronounced it "Tee-Rew."

Anyway, I'm back I think, and I would love to hear from some of the older players who've come back as well. Are there any old Auburn University players currently playing? Does anyone know what ever became of Reorx? Any former members of Clan Terristen around?

I look forward to hearing from anyone, but old-timers even more.

-Trew

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
Re: Giving it a try after +/- 19 years away
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 11:35:10 AM »
Trew Dat! : p
welcome back.

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »
Welcome back!

Terristen

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:24:14 PM »
So far everyone has been really great! I appreciate the assistance I've received so far! I wonder, however just how long before the kit-gloves come off and I start looking like prey? ;-)

I have a couple of questions... hopefully not too dumb.
1. Is there a consolidated online resource for item information? I remember that at some point in my life I could remember what all those special items did... and I recall there being some trapped items too (like a neclace you can't put down or something?). I don't necessarily need 2D5 type stats, but general item info would be cool.

I'm, how do they say, directionally challenged. In real life and in-game. It sounds weird, I know, but I have to recite the cardinal directions to myself when I think East and West.... Knowing full well what direction is what, I STILL get them backwards! It's some kind of dyslexia I guess. As such I'm hoping to utilize some mapping features of Mudlet until I can get my bearings in-game. It's a pain to map a mud, ESPECIALLY Arctic, but the process helps me remember where things are.

To the question:
2. Does anyone out there have mudlet mapping scripts? I'm fairly good at Lua, but knowing nothing about mudlet means I'm going to be pulling my hair out soon. I had some success with CMud mapping, but I don't feel like paying for a client, when clients like Mudlet are FOSS and pretty good.

Thanks for any info in advance.
Oh one more thing (Colombo reference), what's the next area near Solace I need to hit after the sewers/park/etc...?

eli

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »
Depends on your alignment:

Evil - after solace I would go to Fort Khalarm and Training Grounds near Kalaman. After that I would go to the village of Patience near Balifor.

Good - solace sewers goblins then goblin camp south of solace. Sligs near haven.

Neutral - wherever you get xp.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »
@ Trew

1. There is no public online resource for eq stat. You need to get in touch with someone who keep such info.

2. Not a mudlet guy. I just scribe down the exits on paper and memorize them over the years.

As for where to go, for evil aligns,

1 - 2 : worm, centipede (sewer)
3 : small spider (sewer)
4 - 5 : small spider, big spider, goblin, rat (sewer)
6 - 7 : sol tree area, gardener, gibbons, birds and stuff
8 - 9 : haven west forest elfs (man, woman, kender)
10 : sol town (citizen, elf, wife, janitor etc)
11 : que teh (south of sol, past towers, first exit east)
12 - 13 : matthias mansion (west and all north, up from w.gate)
14 : rotate between que teh, sol town, matthias mansion
15 - 18 : add que kiri into rotation
19 - 20* : add solamnic outpost into rotation
*Decide if you wanna quit here!
20+ : add thorbadin, kalaman sailors, dwarven keep, deep mine, sorinthalas, crimson castle

Note that till level 20, exp table is still manageable. When you reach 20, the xp table starts to blow out of proportion.

This is where decision kicks in. Do you want to continue to grind or quit or start another class?

The good news is that somewhere after level 25 when your skills are set, it becomes easier to kill bigger xp mobs and you can start popping your own eq.

For comparison purpose, using the above table, I can get to level 20 in 8 hrs of playtime. This doesn't include "outside battle" skilling.

3 weapon skills, all combat skills reasonable train for lvl 20
Coins around 5k from corpses.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:12:43 PM by gulca »

Oligo

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »

1. There is no public online resource for eq stat. You need to get in touch with someone who keep such info.

I'm not an active player, but I do maintain a Lorebot which has over 4,100 items that's on both Skype and IRC (QuakeNet #arctic) with lores dating to 2003. It's pretty current as active players have constantly added/updated items to it.

I will probably find a way to make it more accessible to the general Arctic population and as well Loretta has been bugging me to get it back on #arctic.

Joe

• Fodder
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
Hey Oligo is that chat open to public? Shout communication is one of the things that hurts the game imo. Back when we had 140 players the place seemed alive. now it seems sooo dead. While I dont think it needs to change (pk mud is pk mud), Id love a place to hang out and chat with other folk once in a while.

Oligo

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:30:45 PM »
Yes, #arctic open to the public. In fact many of the games most prolific pkillers hang out there like Noom (Mumu) and Swibelgluck. Contrary to their Arctic personas, they are quite helpful to newbies.

I got lorebot up and running on #arctic (us.quakenet.org:6667), currently there are 4,224 item lores. If you do !help in channel, Lorebot will spit back the following.

<LoreBot> ***** IRC Lore Bot v0.64 (Items: 4224) *****
<LoreBot> !help    - Lists the different commands available
<LoreBot> !stat    - syntax: !stat <item>, example: !stat huma.shield
<LoreBot> !mark    - example: !mark kaput rgb cleric, or !mark kaput rgb
<LoreBot> !unmark  - unidentifies a character, example: !unmark kaput
<LoreBot> !who     - shows character info, example: !who Drunoob
<LoreBot> !recent  - shows latest markings, optional !recent <num>
<LoreBot> !news    - for clan news updates
<LoreBot> !pkact   - creates pk triggers, example: !pkact Drunoob bash
<LoreBot> !pkunact - deletes pk triggers, example: !pkunact Drunoob
<LoreBot> !version - shows version history

You can also add arcticlorebot on Skype, but Skype is a little funky and best if you're in a group conversation with Lorebot to get the results faster as opposed to a private conversation.
Wild and Russians hang out on IRC, <SoB> remnants and <dele> hang out on Skype.

If you execute on Skype for example

!stat bread

You will receive

1 items found for 'bread'.
[11:30:13 PM] LoreBot: Object 'bread loaf food'
[11:30:13 PM] LoreBot: Item Type: FOOD
[11:30:13 PM] LoreBot: Mat Class: natural      Material: organic
[11:30:13 PM] LoreBot: Weight   : 1            Value   : 3
[11:30:13 PM] LoreBot: Submitter: yakuza (Tue Aug 31 15:25:44 2004)

The IRC and Skype lorebot hit the same database file, the Skype lorebot is more stable but less flexible.
Most of the Russians in the channel are experienced users and can help you use the features of Lorebot.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:37:46 PM by Oligo »

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:51:05 AM »
Ten years since bread was lored?

Loretta

• Fodder
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 09:54:13 AM »
Channel #arctic is open to public but RGB bans any1 they dislike.

Joe

• Fodder
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 10:16:37 AM »
I think I killed the bot with overflow but gosh darn it several years and something like the world merchant make it reeeeeally hard to resist!