Author Topic: Why would anyone play neutral?  (Read 5079 times)

Mick

• Immortal
  • Fodder
Why would anyone play neutral?
« on: April 17, 2020, 11:11:58 PM »
After rolling a neutral warrior (cause Gully) I wonder why anyone would roll neutral? I realize the idea of neutral player gets xp anywhere but when the xp penalty is so large..ranging from 40 to 75% there is really zero point to playing a neut character for xp.  Could maybe the levels be looked at because the penalties seem to make it prohibitive to ever playing a neut char (I certainly wont make that mistake again).

Dagda

• Fodder
Re: Why would anyone play neutral?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 02:53:32 AM »
It's easier to spread out your xp zones, so you never max out on a zone. But.. you start off a lot lower :P. Gear access is a little bit wider range too.

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 12:22:40 AM »
Masochists

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 12:38:16 AM »

Lloth

• God
  • Fodder
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 05:58:09 AM »
As a soon to be R4 evil, it's not greener on that side either. The lack of medium difficulty good aligned zones is rough. Killing the same knights/guards/elves gets boring quick. Goodies have it pretty good! The grind is crazy, but at least you have some variety.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 08:00:50 AM »
If you dont have a plan on leveling, then you should make one.

The trick is usually dont share the max xp with other chars. Then you will be guaranteed of getting a set amount of xp for a particular zone.

This is important because going solo means a limited number of mobs you can kill at low and mid levels. You want to get full xp per mob and not maxed nor shared.

Another trick is never die. Dying doesnt remove your max kill list. Losing xp and maxing on the mobs you just killed is a double whammy.

When you are desperate, every char has a limited list of maxed killed mobs. You can push the recent maxed mobs out with a variety of low level mobs. The point here is replacing your recent maxed xp mobs with any easy 0xps mobs. Each needs to be tag differently. Eg do not go kill solace citizens a million times. That counts only 1 mob in your list.

Once you are highish level enough, xp is just a side thing that comes with zoning and popping items.

That all being said, neutral does suck compared to lawful evil or lawful good. There is really no good reason why it should continue to be that way.

Kam

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 10:09:05 PM »
At some point, somewhere in the last 15 years or so, people just stopped making zones with neutral mobs in them.
We have been (and still are) hard at work to bring you more neutral mob content to help with the struggle of leveling.

As someone who has pretty much always played neutral aligns, I like to think of it like just a higher difficulty level for the game. Wimps go good lawful, decent players go evil, but the pros go neutral!

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 02:25:37 AM »
Only class to make neutral is red robe

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 04:45:05 AM »
After rolling a neutral warrior (cause Gully) I wonder why anyone would roll neutral?

i've almost always gone neutral shaman for gear selection.  only reincarnation has changed my decision.

Malthros

• Fodder
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 10:13:46 PM »
I always went neutral for flexibility (xping and gear to some extent) but now I'd only swap to neutral after reincarnating 'enough' and hitting legend on a character.  Reincarnating multiple times as a neutral sucked last wipe, though getting more neutral high lvl zones could make it better in the future.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 03:37:55 AM »
Just change deep mine aligns to help neutral. Problem solved.

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 09:06:20 PM »

Not at all. Evil mobs needs to be moved to neutral, not goodie.

Change storms and Neraka to neutral, problem solved!

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 03:22:05 PM »
Oh I like this game, change: terzaks and village of mortigoth to neutral.

joesux

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 04:42:39 PM »
Read magic.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 06:30:48 PM »

Not at all. Evil mobs needs to be moved to neutral, not goodie.

Change storms and Neraka to neutral, problem solved!

another possibility might be to make align change a little quicker.  killing a holy good mob could perhaps give much bigger alignment change.