Author Topic: Just some thoughts that came from Aristox's question.  (Read 2263 times)

Soran

Just some thoughts that came from Aristox's question.
« on: July 27, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
I wanted to put this here because it goes off topic from the post. These are just some different thoughts I had for next wipe and in response to whether botting would keep me playing longer and such.

Just some background: I have been playing on and off since I was introduced to the game when I was 12 and am now 28. I didn't get it for a long time. I would not say I have ever been anyone of consequence to the game and have also never posted before. I started to take it some what seriously about 2 years ago for a wipe, but became extremely sick and gave up for a while. I came back this wipe and have learned quite a bit while playing Stan. I wasn't going to post this, but I was honestly curious if anyone else liked these ideas.

As to the botting issue: I have never in all that time botted. I have no idea how to do anything beyond basic triggers, like to make myself auto eat/drink. I am NOT against allowing bots, especially since it is happening anyways. If it were allowed, yes, I would try it out. I would still be at a huge disadvantage though, since like I said, I do not know how to bot.

One solution I thought of and also saw written in the other thread was better pets. I like that certain classes have pets, but they are kind of a pain in the ass. It is nice to have the back up there, but if the pets were scripted and didn't require our input (other than training), I think they would be much more useful. Making them scripted also allows for us to focus on our character instead of what we want our pet doing. I play an ocean scout, I like not having to worry about a pet. But unless some of my friends are on, there is only so much I can do alone. I also find it incredibly strange that this game's rangers (scouts) do not have pets.

Other issues/thoughts I had (pasted from an e-mail I sent to Aristox):

1: Bring back legendary races. I have been playing on and off for about 15 years, and this is the first wipe where I really played seriously and am learning the game a bit. I have my first legendary character, and it was kind of a buzz kill that there wasn't the race reward. Yeah, some are available from the get go now, but it loses it's appeal because I didn't have to work to play a half-ogre. I also suggested to Hoss (who turned it down) that Thri-Kreen be a legendary race. No, I haven't been able to find them in DL lore, but I was assuming the Vry-Kith mobs were them from their descriptions, and also the God Majere was described as a mantis before. I have no idea how to code, but I could offer up ideas on how to make them balanced.

2. I want to say more classes would help, but I like what we have already. I would say possibly to add a Bard class, but I am not sure what other class types would really add to the game at all. I would be open to trying out any new classes though. I definitely do NOT want multi-classing (ever). However, what about prestige classes once a character hits level 30 and legendary? These would also have to be class specific (ex.: Berserker being a Barb only prestige).

3. Pets. I know scouts are not rangers per se, but they are definitely an offshoot. It seems weird to me that the scouts do not have pets. More pets in general I think could help with the botting issue. If I ever botted, it would be because I want to explore and my character can't handle certain things by himself. Maybe giving scouts a path specific pet, that can survive on land, air, and in water, so always usable, would not be such a bad thing. This may seem over powered, but with the hp of my scout, I think it could help out tremendously. Also, perhaps pets being scripted to basically act independently could be helpful too.

4. Hylar or Hill Dwarf paladins. I have wanted this for a couple years. Dwarves are religious enough and militant enough. Hylar already can't be evil. Both races' bonuses are well suited to paladin.

5. Perhaps make druids more versatile. Give them the wild shape ability like in D&D. Then they can be a tank, damage, or heal as necessary. This would help to not lock them into stone skin and heal cloud or gtfo.

Dyl

• Zoner
Re: Just some thoughts that came from Aristox's question.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »
Draconian legendary race.

Soran

Re: Just some thoughts that came from Aristox's question.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:34:51 PM »
Draconian legendary race was another thought I had. I am totally for that. Except I think there should be open hostilities in major cities. Like you couldn't just waltz into Solace or Palanthas. You would have to start in Neraka or something.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:35:03 PM by Soran »