Author Topic: Fun Solos from Last Wipe + Thief knowledge  (Read 1812 times)

Heo

• Zoner
Re: Fun Solos from Last Wipe + Thief knowledge
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2020, 09:53:56 AM »
Qwerz vs. Greenen

The Greenen dragon was pretty horrific to do solo.  If I was able to multi with a Shaman it would have been MUCH easier, but such is life.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc65j92an264zbk/Qwerz%20vs.%20Greenen.txt?dl=0

Dagda

• Fodder
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2020, 10:03:33 AM »
Try it this wipe.

Heo

• Zoner
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2020, 08:43:57 AM »
Eh, sadly I'm retired :(

Here's Qwerz soloing the Golden Dragon in Mystic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lior1yku8fucml/Qwerz%20vs.%20Mystic%20Gold%20Dragon.txt?dl=0

Heo

• Zoner
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2020, 09:18:20 AM »
Also - I should note a couple tips for aspiring thieves:

1)  Envenoming
You see me envenoming both weapons in many of these earlier logs.  That was a mistake, I learned that only envenoming your prime is what matters.  Another reason haste rank helped me for Chani (Qwerz was not hasted)

2) Fighting Healers
The best way to fight healers is to prevent them from memming.  If you can make sure they are fighting on the tick while casting every spell they have, you can actually wear them down.  I later found this was the best way to try to deal with them, rather than depending on getting lucky with a lost conc or silence.  Make sure you have a great tic timer, be ams/high save, and then just try to get them to waste all their spells while not taking too much damage.  Have heals and don't let them EVER mem on a tick. 

3)  Healer/Warr duos
Often it's best to stab/envenom both, not just focus on a single one.  That way you're taking less damage and in theory both are resting

4)  Prep is everything
Learn how to quickly load AMS, fireshield, and lots of heals.  Them nerfing fade REALLY hurt this, to be honest, fade was the most important thief skill to me for soloing, because it made prepping so easy.  Still very doable, but far more annoying/time consuming.  There's also easy to pop thief NV no rent items out there, I used those a lot when I couldn't afford the rank.  There are also darkness scrolls easily loadable by thieves.

5)  Have secondary chars for scribe/brew
I always had lots of cure blind pots on me, rem poisons, and especially repose.  Repose+Regen rank alone could get me MASSIVE hp gains per tick, and if you found items that were massive +regen, that was always a win. 

6)  Focus on practical damage and long fights
A 1d30 is pretty snazzy when it gets you that really high damage backstab.  But you should care about average damage, because in a long fight, it's all about the law of large numbers.

The prime I used was a relatively easy to find in stores, decently easy to pop solo 4d4 +2 dam.

That's a 12 average damage weap.

The sexy Black Pronged Trident is 2d9 +2.  What's the average damage?  12. 

The crystal dagger, often thought of as one of the best weapons in the game (and soloable by a thief) is 3d6 +2 +2

What the average damage on that (ignoring hitroll)?  12.5

Dark Adamantite Dagger - 2d9 +1 dam  - average damage?  11

So remember.  For choosing your weapon, go with a good AVERAGE damage. 

And as Corey would I'm sure remind, some +damage never hurts. 

7)  You don't need elite eq, only elite prep/good tactics
I never grouped and never had any eq I couldn't pop myself.  I also didn't spend time trying to get amazing eq because I had limited time and didn't want to bother.  Just good knowledge and patience and not dying.

That said, if you can find a good immune_negative_energy item, I'd recommend keeping it around, edrains are annoying and go through AMS I believe.

8)  A/B test

Try different tactics.  See what works best.  Keep a list of notes, I used evernote.

9)  Don't turn off room descriptions

I never did because I did so much exploring.  I also don't use ANSI as I prefer to color using my own client (Zmud)

Heo

• Zoner
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2020, 07:30:08 AM »

Heo

• Zoner
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2020, 11:19:23 AM »
Here's Chani vs. Kag Hinterlands.  Such a strange zone, let me know if I missed any mobs, I think I did all but who knows.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7fwm5kgd5i87wn/Chani%20vs.%20Kag%20Hinterlands.txt?dl=0

fulloflife

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2020, 11:45:10 PM »
More logs plz - also a request to paste some of the loot !

Heo

• Zoner
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2020, 03:52:52 PM »
Here's an incomplete log, it failed going into Sarson but captured some of the fun -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2u43iuvymshnpej/Qwerz%20vs.%20Sarson%27s.txt?dl=0