Author Topic: dargonesti red robe bug, affinity and other incarnation thoughts  (Read 563 times)

Nasredin

• Immortal
Hi there,

After being busy with rl things for a few months, I once again returned to Arctic and decided to try reincarnation. My main char, a red robed mage, was just a few million xp away from 1x and in a day I was ready. First, I created a few test chars of legendary races. For a magic user the choices were irda and dargonesti and after loring the chars I decided that I go for dargonesti.

However, in the incarnation menu there were only 8 races (not 9 as when creating a new magic user), the missing race being... right, dargonesti! What a disappointment! Since the reincarnation process doesn't have the 'quit' option I just dropped the connection - and luckily, found my mage still at 1x.

I believe the missing race is a bug and I guess the highly likely reason for it is the specifics of the mage class. While every other class starts explicitly as a member of that particular class, the robed mages start as magic users and get their real guild only after the conclave test. So, it looks like the dargonesti are allowed to start as magic users, but not as the robed mages, and thus are not a valid reincarnation choice.

Anyway, does anyone still play the robed mages? Reincarnation is in game for already a few weeks, and nobody has noticed and reported this bug yet?

Suggestions:
1) Take a look at the choice of races for reincarnation and fix it

2) Add a 'quit' option to every menu in reincarnation process - so that a player who suddenly finds their race of choice out of the list, or a player who suddenly realizes that they can't decide where to apply that +2 stat bonus, or finds any other reason to change their mind - may abandon the current reincarnation and start a new one later, if they like.

And move the second confirmation to the very end of the reincarnation process - show the player the list of chosen options (the new race, the ability that receives the stat bonus etc.) - and tell them, that this is the last moment to rethink, either they abandon reincarnation right now or as soon as they press Y their char irreversibly goes to level 1. Also, include a warning in the very first reincarnation dialogue that the player may abandon reincarnation any time before the final confirmation.

3) What about affinity? After reading the help files, I got the impression that the general reincarnation logics suggests keeping any affinity I earned, but I found no explicit indications. Even if I do keep the affinity, do I also keep the enchantments on my medal or do I have to buy them again (similar to rank purchases?)
In any case, please include affinity in the reincarnation help file.

Nasredin
-----
- "Burn in the eternal reboot of Hell!"

- "Arctic is my religion. There is life after death!"

- "Do you believe in MUD after life?"

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 04:03:19 AM by Nasredin »

Malthros

Re: dargonesti red robe bug, affinity and other incarnation thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 10:28:51 PM »
Casters are in dire need of exotic race options.  Phaetheon were an option in the past, I think.  Scions, Draconians, or other options could work too.

Pretty sure one of the help files mentions your medal is untouched when you reincarnate too.  Or maybe it was just a post in the forums here.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 06:31:41 AM »
Casters are in dire need of exotic race options.  Phaetheon were an option in the past, I think.  Scions, Draconians, or other options could work too.

Pretty sure one of the help files mentions your medal is untouched when you reincarnate too.  Or maybe it was just a post in the forums here.

Now that reincarnation is in, I'm pretty happy with int-boosted irdas.

Malthros

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 08:45:27 PM »
Now imagine if you had actual options. :)

Nasredin

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 04:58:30 AM »
I would be pretty happy with a dargo, even if they aren't boosted in anything, just the way they are.
For my taste and playing style, str is more important for a mage than con, good int is certainly useful and high dex is an added bonus.

Irda get slightly better con, but in all other aspects aren't much different from humans and other non-exotic races.

Since there's no idea when that dargo bug might be fixed (if ever), I'm considering to reincarnate just as a human.
But right no, I just postponed it.

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 10:34:31 PM »
This bug is fixed.

Nasredin

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 01:43:26 PM »
Just checked. Still no dargo in the list for a red robe:

341H 110V 1X 30.25% 4697C Exits:D> sys
Local Time : Thu Nov 07 19:58:50 2019 UTC
Last Reboot: Tue Oct 29 19:58:51 2019 UTC  Reason: crashlark
Uptime     : 8 days 23 hours 59 mins
Players    : 13/2637

341H 103V 1X 30.25% 4697C Mem:1 Exits:D> sco
You are Redrobename, a level 30 Red Robe.
You are casting at level 19.
6) Reincarnate this character.
Make a choice: 6
WARNING: If you choose to reincarnate, Redrobename will be set back to level 1!

Are you sure you want to reincarnate Redrobename? (Y/N) y

(1) Silvanesti     (2) Human          (3) Minotaur       (4) Gnome         
(5) Half Elf       (6) Theiwar Dwarf  (7) Irda           (8) Qualinesti     

Select a race to reincarnate into ("help" for help): h
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:45:34 PM by Nasredin »

Anista

• Overseer
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: The Abyss
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 07:49:46 PM »
I believe there may have been a small quirk in our original bug fix.  Please try again.

Are you sure you want to reincarnate Majere? (Y/N) y

(1) Silvanesti     (2) Human          (3) Minotaur       (4) Gnome         
(5) Half Elf       (6) Dargonesti     (7) Theiwar Dwarf  (8) Irda           
(9) Qualinesti     

Select a race to reincarnate into ("help" for help):

- Anista

Nasredin

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 06:19:32 AM »
I believe there may have been a small quirk in our original bug fix.  Please try again.

You're my hero. You made my day... or, rather week!

Was going to write this 'thank you' post much earlier, but couldn't resist the temptation to try my new reincarnated char first... The other addicts here certainly know the rest of the story.

Anyway, the original bug is fixed, dargo is now an available reincarnation choice for the robed mages.

I guess there was another minor issue during reincarnation, however I'm not 100% certain about that. A new dargo test char had 37 hp at level 1; my redrobe also had 37 hp after reincarnation as a dargo. Do the mages receive no +hp bonus? To tell the truth, I expected to get +5 hp, as the help file said "5-15 hp depending on guild".

Not sure if that's important, but when I passed the reincarnation procedure, I was wearing my medal with +15 hp enchantment on it, so in practice my mage started with 37+15=52 hp. The rest of the eq was mostly +hitroll to let me butcher the centipedes faster.

Malthros

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 04:25:47 PM »
I guess there was another minor issue during reincarnation, however I'm not 100% certain about that. A new dargo test char had 37 hp at level 1; my redrobe also had 37 hp after reincarnation as a dargo. Do the mages receive no +hp bonus? To tell the truth, I expected to get +5 hp, as the help file said "5-15 hp depending on guild".

Not sure if that's important, but when I passed the reincarnation procedure, I was wearing my medal with +15 hp enchantment on it, so in practice my mage started with 37+15=52 hp. The rest of the eq was mostly +hitroll to let me butcher the centipedes faster.

From my observations, reincarnation bonuses work like equipment in that you don't see the effect reflected on your HP at login.  So on my 3rd reincarnation I'd log in at level 1 with the same hp as a 'new' barbarian of the same race but if I took off all my gear the 3x reincarnation bonus HP (and HP from +con reincarnation selections) showed in score.   Is that what you saw or was the lack of HP showing up in 'score' too?