Author Topic: Dissemination of Information  (Read 2645 times)

eddiex

• Zoner
Re: Dissemination of Information
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2020, 04:14:10 PM »
This post is hilarious. Quitting because you can't solve a zone? Sounds like a personal problem. I've spent literally hundreds of hours in a single zone to figure out how to open that wall, and you want that for free? Millenniums these days. *Grumble*

If a zone warrants keyword changes it' because the rewards are meant to be for those who actually invested time in to the game. If creators/game imps see that too many people are being fed that info, they change it. It isn't hard for someone who actually spent the time solving the zone to resolve a kw.

That being said, there are plenty of zones out there that don't have their kw's changed. If you don't like having to work for your knowledge, stay there.

My grumpy ass 2 cents.

Keywords should not ever change unless the entire zone is being revamped. There is no way of definitively determining who has and has not acquired the knowledge of how to solve a zone "legitimately".

Someone who is close friends with someone who solved or created a zone can easily acquire information they did not spend hours and hours to acquire.

Also, people who have not solved the zone but have had the kws can also reverse engineer solving the kw in some cases.

Honesty and fairness will never be a Hallmark of ArcticMUD.

Terk

• Immortal
Re: Dissemination of Information
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 09:32:02 PM »
It may surprise some of you, but I always thought it would be nice if there were explanations for zone quests after a period of time a zone was in the game.

I think I asked imms to write this sort of stuff up for low mid zones, and the only one that got done was me writing up the Solace weapon quest. It’s a lot of work.

I obviously don’t speak for the staff, but The truth is, if the player base wants to put up zone walkthrough or hints on reddit or some other site  these days it would be very hard to police. Frankly, I bet if moderators of such a site asked an IMP to review the content, there would even be a way to get it approved by the staff.

But the sheer work it would require to write all of these up for all zones is a lot, so it probably needs to be more player driven than imm driven from a practicality standpoint.