Author Topic: question from someone who always soloed  (Read 23351 times)

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
Re: question from someone who always soloed
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 11:10:30 PM »
BARBARIANs are pretty damned fool proof which is why ive played them for as long as i have enjoyed arctic. Get a big dirty twohander, often found in shops too.. get some booze and even naked you can take a whole lot of hurt and walk away from it normally. There are no restrictions on what u can kill... best part is your food is what you kill... i mean its just too easy.. whiskey works best. If u ever see a Locki online harrass it and it will show u anything u need to know for barbarian fun times. 

dodok

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »
Hit 17 today on my thief! 

A few questions though.  I still miss like crazy, especially with backstab (it's at average).  Before, I had +3 hitroll from gear and +2 hitroll on both weapons (I assume that my offhand +hit/dam doesn't apply to main hand and vice versa) but against similar and slightly lower level mobs I miss a lot.  Do I need to find more hitroll or will this improve as my weapon skills/backstab skills go up?

Also, should I be trying to get the "woodsman's" equipment?  In general I've been checking the world merchant and lore-ing the gear (and using LoreBot [thanks!]).  Can't help but feel like I'm the ultra bottom feeder as I spend all day killing easy monsters, rounding up coins, and hoping something is good at the world merchant...

Finally I'm getting some inconsistent behavior when I try to stab/flee(fade).  Sometimes the mob sits, sometimes it doesn't.  Does that just mean I failed sneak?

I finally went away from the zones I know near tarsis and balifor and started exploring around kalaman and palanthas, so that's an improvement :P

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
A good thief always is sneaking and hiding.

I would suggest no glowing items in inventory/worn and no held lights.

Find auto sneak, hide items. Those would make your thiefing-way easier.

Fade is very random at low levels during fight, if you haven't noticed already. I'll rather not use it until it's at excel or something. Do note to "train" it, you'll have to use it.

Yes if mobs thinks you aren't in the room (for any reason), they will rest if hurt.

Oligo

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 10:59:57 PM »
For a thief, bind your fade to your numpad on your 10-key.

ie.
6 = fade east
8 = fade north

it will change your world once you get in the habit of using the numpad

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 05:15:09 AM »
I like running it like this.

ffn - fade n; env $prime; env $offie; sn; s; back $targ

Set your target, set your prim and offie, repeat this for each direction (ffu, ffd, ffe, etc.) and BINGO!

Makes soloing zones with similar mob names (giant, elf, man, etc.) pretty easy. I have a similar one set up for shoot as well that looks like this.

ssa - aim $targ; shoot auto

Just a couple of pretty easy actions and I'm sure others have/could rewrite with more finesse.

sart

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 09:43:18 AM »
ffn - fade n; env $prime; env $offie; sn; s; back $targ

Set your target, set your prim and offie, repeat this for each direction (ffu, ffd, ffe, etc.) and BINGO!

You thief, that's my alias!  However, I would not recommend envenoming your offie.. in fade stabbing that time is too valuable.  Also at legend you will want to tweak this more...

I also have a fb* set to fade/stand/envenom...

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 11:30:27 AM »
This won't work too well for mobs that det invis and if you fail to sneak/hide/fade in the same room, ie you are going to get attacked/killed more often than not at low levels.

You can tweak it so that it does similar stuff,

Assuming mob is north of you,

In a sneak situation
env $prime;sneak;fade north;backstab $targ;fade s

In a non sneak situation (ie mob is aware of you)
env $prime;sneak;fade n;fade s;fade n;backstab $targ;fade s

replace fade with flee if your fade is low level. Here you actually take a melee hit, fade (or flee) out of the room, fade back in and stab.

Flee is dangerous if you don't know your zone well enough, but it almost lagless. Failed fade (from melee) is lag and that might just be enough to kill you.

A good advice from Oligo #action {^PANIC!} {flee}

The thing is you won't get stuck in the aggro room stringing your next move.

For me personally, I just bind the env/stab/fade/sneak/direction/flee keys to my keypad and punch in from there.

dodok

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

BTW, I hit rank 3 the other day.  The help says seek out the rank merchant in Solace (still haven't trekked up there yet).  Should I be saving my points or should I spend them?  I'm assuming I can't "respec" so I'm guessing there is an "optimal" way to go?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:52:58 AM by dodok »

sart

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 11:53:29 AM »
A good advice from Oligo #action {^PANIC!} {flee}

*** DO NOT DO THIS***

Willoe

• Guardian
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 12:56:54 PM »
Actually you can "respec" your ranks. You can purchase/sell them. The drawback when you sell is that you do NOT get your coins back and the ranks themselves can be hefty in price.

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »
Actually you can "respec" your ranks. You can purchase/sell them. The drawback when you sell is that you do NOT get your coins back and the ranks themselves can be hefty in price.

The upside to that though, is that the money goes to feed the children.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 03:33:33 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

BTW, I hit rank 3 the other day.  The help says seek out the rank merchant in Solace (still haven't trekked up there yet).  Should I be saving my points or should I spend them?  I'm assuming I can't "respec" so I'm guessing there is an "optimal" way to go?

I've always like to spend my ranks in the following manner for low/mid level

1. fly/wb cost 3 rp:
Reason: When you die frequently, it is nice to be able to type fly and run back to where you died with a light/recall in hand. This is especially true if you die in a water zone where flight potion is not going to let you go into the water.

2. det invis/sense life cos 2rp:
Reason: Kenders and half the ppl in the game are either invis and/or hiding.

3. hitroll cost 2rp or 4 rp (max 5):
Reason: One reason why low lvl have hard time soloing is due to misses in combat. Get as many hr eq and hr ranks till you are much higher level. If you are missing 70% of your melee's, even when you are using 3d6 weapon, your actual damage is really like 3d6 / 7 = max 2.5 dam per hit.

4: move cost 1rp for 20 mv
Reason: Flee/fade stabbing cost you a lot of move compared to other classes that stay and fight. You do not want to be caught with 0 move.

dodok

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »
Hey Gulca,

I actually own the "woodsman" set (which I thought was the best thing since sliced bread but now I realize it's good but not great) so det invis/fly are covered.  I have 4 pieces of +1 hitroll and also the +4 bonus from the woodsman set and +2 hitroll from both weapons (do they add their bonuses to each other?) so I -think- hitroll is covered but I noticed I have been missing a lot of backstabs (but never melee attacks).  Is that a function of my weapon being about to break apart (at 55%) or do I still need more hitroll?  My stab is maxxed for my level and I just hit 21.

I finally made it up to Solace (with only 1 death where I ran into a bunch of aggro trappers, thankfully I was able to CR using an invis wand) but then I had no idea what to buy with my ranks given my current status.  I'm currently rank 5.  I was thinking I would get the +20 (or 40) movement, or get +1 damroll (how big of a deal is that? doesn't seem like a lot).  What I really wanted was nightvision but I don't have the points or the insane amount of money required to get it (lack of nightvision is what caused my death, so generally now when I travel I sit around at night and wait for 5am).

Thanks!

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 11:00:57 AM »
Ability to stab isn't so much tied to your hitroll (sadly), but more to the inability of the target seeing you. What does this mean? If you successfully sneaked into a room, the mob might not "see" you for a few sec. You'll notice this when a hurt mob rest. Note not all mob auto rest when hurt, some mobs are sense life and some are awareness.

Get some sort of auto-hide and auto-sneak eq if you can. Woodsman set takes up a lot of room and I'm not sure if you have open slot for a auto hide eq.

Also notice wearing or having either metal or glowing/humming/light eq will cause your sneak, hide, stab to suck. I am not sure if some pieces of woodsman are metal or not.

Woodsman wouldn't be my choice of thiefy wear though. It is great tank eq. I rather have a fly worn, auto hide, auto sneak, a couple of hr, det invis, infra, invis than the stuff you get from woodsman bonus.

As for what rank to get, nightvision is great if you can afford it (ie got the spare rp and coins). It smooths out a lot of the rem offie, hold lantern, loot, rem lantern, hold offie part of lvling in a dark environment. However, it is not vital.

Damroll rank makes quite a difference if you can afford at least 3 (max at 5 with 19 rp) in a go. Stab damage is a multiplier of your melee damage. This means if your initial stab is 10 dam, final stab is multiplied by a factor and you get 50 dam on a rested mob. 1 extra dam = 10 dam (if multiplier is 10) and having 3 or 4 dam means an easy extra annihilate damage every time a mob is stabbed. Multiplier factor is a function of your level (it is not 10) but you get the idea.

So I would shy away from damroll rp until you can afford 3. At lower levels, get the rps that smooth out your normal day to day zoning first. And stab a lot of coin mobs.

dodok

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 11:20:18 AM »
Okay thanks! :)

I was able to pick up 1 piece of the midnight blue set from the world merchant, but given its stats I'm guessing it is extremely difficult to get, and I probably got a piece that was sold to him after a pk.  I have a couple of pieces here and there of gear that seems decent, but it never seems quite "good enough" to break apart the woodsman set (which also gives 2str and 2dex).  The -50 armor from the woodsman set also really helped me out early (and I am guessing it still does) because mobs miss me all the time.  On the other hand, the set is quite inflexible and only allows for 2 necklaces, 2 rings and two weapons.  My sneak is at good but my hide is poor (no buddies to help me "horse train hide" [if that even still works]) and I never hide before stabbing anyways due to the lag.

I haven't found any autohide/sneak gear but I will definitely prioritize it.  I don't have any glowing/humming gear.  My only "light" is the wrist lantern from palanthas (can I leave that in inventory and not have it affect my abilities)?  The main issue is that when I swap the lantern for my woodsman bracer, my fly falls off.  So yesterday when I was exploring, I was in a situation where I needed the lantern to recite my recall but then my fly fell off and...yeah.  not good!  btw bash is overpowered..

I did not know stab was tied to the mob seeing me, that is very useful information.  I did sense some weird behavior though that I couldn't explain.  Like some mobs will rest, and if I sneak into the room will continue to rest.  If I fail sneak, they will stand.  Sometimes though, they stop resting (and this is the same mob at different times).  Even if I leave for a tick or two and come back, they still won't rest...

Hmm, so I actually don't really know what will smooth out my day to day xping then..  I guess 40 movement..  Oh and I stabbed a mob yesterday that gave me 670 coins.  That was awesome :D