Author Topic: question from someone who always soloed  (Read 23350 times)

dodok

question from someone who always soloed
« on: July 05, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been playing on and off since the hobbes.linfield days but never really got anywhere in the game.  I mainly soloed the easy zones/cities as a thief or warrior and just started doing it again.  Every decent item I've ever gotten (except a +hit badge that I found while looking for a thieves' guild and a holdable fly that I found while lost in the dark) is bought from the shop.  I've been 25 as a thief but never hit 26, and 20 as a warrior.

I find the game fun because I've always loved the dragonlance series, and love the game mechanics.  I've never "zoned" or really had a group.  I started again the other night and since it is a bit empty, it seems like a great time to actually explore a bit and learn the game.  As someone who seemingly hits every zone's DT and since all the decent "stabbers" probably load in difficult zones I was thinking I should roll a warrior (they kinda have the most room for error, right?) or a druid (same?).  I ask here only because I used to have a bunch of links but they're all broken now.

Thanks!

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
Re: question from someone who always soloed
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
First off, Welcome Back!

Your experience sounds a heck of a lot like my early years on the mud. I played pretty much exclusively thief or warrior...and almost always lawful good.

I would preface this recommendation by saying I have not played a warrior this wipe so some of the changes are not taken in to consideration...that said, I would stick with thief if choosing between a thief and a warrior.

Thief is an excellent class to solo/explore with. Damage is decent to excellent, lots of fun skills to train and use in various circumstances, and with quick fingers or decent alias/hot key use can be a very enjoyable class.

If you are open to considering other class options, both scouts and DK are a ton of fun to play and very easy to solo. DK is a little harder because of the alignment restrictions limiting where you can go to exp.

Scouts can do great damage, with fence and riposte up they can tank pretty decently, camp and bandage make for quick regen, while sneak and hide allow for pretty effective exploration. Plus most scouts can move around the mud just as easily as a Druid could. Even with "guild" instincts a mtn or ocean scout can hold their own. Just stay away from sky.

DK is incredibly diverse and once you work out the nuances of the class a whole world of zones become solvable solo that many other classes wouldn't even try.

Just my two cents and again, welcome back!

Matt

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 05:57:19 PM »
I would not recommend scouts this wipe, due to their weak hps.

Bandage and rest/sleep is kind of broken this wipe. This means tick regen is especially slow for non repose and curing class even when combined with camp.

Thief is good for solo, but hard to find group unless you keep your pick/disable up. The world merchant usually have ok thief eq.

Warrior is ok for solo, and especially good for group.

Loretta

• Fodder
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »
Newbie thief is hard to solo. Imo best class for zoning-orientired game is cleric. You get bludgeon weapon from shop, blind stuff and imitate thief stab/flee tactique. Also cleric always welcome in groups if you able to keep your attention on your groupmembers and get em healed/cured in time. If you want to play only solo you probably should pick paladin - they have minor healing spells this wipe and become even more easy to play. Grouping paladinis a pain cos your groupmembers kill goodie mobs on way and it hurts your faith---> make your skills work shitty. DK is too annoing to exp this wipe imo - you have to spam same 3-4 zones 100500 times.

Malthros

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 07:12:15 PM »
Going to second Loretta on paladin. If you get a detect_good item it'll help you see what to avoid fighting and even with mediocre gear you'll be effective vs evil mobs. There's a few pole arms that are (or were) enchantable that aren't too hard to pop once you're a bit more comfortable with the class and how to best make use of it.

The detect good item isn't really needed much beyond your initial learning experiences with the class at low levels.  Careless groups members can screw up your faith quickly though.

dodok

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 02:57:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips and the welcomes :)

I was able to find a decent stabber in the balifor shop (I assume that's what you meant by "world merchant") and hit level 10.  I also rolled a paladin (Ggusule) and just hit 9, way faster than my thief hit 10...  Regenning on the thief is a pita like it has always been.  I'm a little worried I'll run out zones on my pally though, so I'll definitely have to explore a bit more.  I always got away with not knowing zones on my thief by killing lots of merchants and guards :P...

I was pleasantly surprised by the existence of throat punch on the thief and also strike on the paladin.  I was surprised by the fact that you can spam pick lock now, kind of discovered that accidentally.. 

A few noob questions though:

1) I'm a little confused by summon mount, it says that it summons a mount to help you fight, but I can't order my horse to do anything, he just sits there!  I tried grouping him, ordering him, is this just something that becomes better later or is he just a simple mount?

2) I've gone with long blades + shield, do you recommend getting a pole arm instead on my pally?

3) It's nice to have cleric spells on my pally (or at least a subset of spells)!!  What do you mean by "tick regen is slow for non repose and curing class"?  I'm hoping my pally gets cure serious/critic, that would be awesome!

4) Is there any way to know how long an item lasts before it decays?  I ask because I was able to buy 2 stabbers from the shop and if both of them decay on me, I'll be back to a thorn dagger!  On that same note, the rent of both of these are >500g/day if not equipped.  I vaguely remember that it is illegal to have a "renting" character to save $$ but I couldn't find that rule.  I just wanted to confirm it is true.  Also is decay still the same whether you're holding it yourself and actively playing or renting?  I understand if these are mechanics not to be discussed, sorry if that is the case.

5) I'll skip on the cleric for now since I never liked the poison, wait, then kill technique, thank you for the suggestion though. 

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
1. paladin mount can be controlled when you level up. There are different mounts and are level dependent. The light warhorse cannot be ordered.

2. With the amount of xps needed to level, it is possible to train a couple (or 3) weapon skills. Recommended skills are long, pole, two-hander/bludgeon

3. When I say tick regen, it means the hp and move gained every tick. This is very slow this wipe. If you have cure spells, or repose, that speeds up hp regeneration.

4. Weapons come and go. I wouldn't worry about decay and stuff. Just keep checking the world merchant. 1d 1n from balifor inn. 3s from solace square.

For survival, I would suggest learning some low level mobs that load coins. It might be a while before you can actually pop useful eq, so buying them is the way to go and that takes lots of coins.

I'm not familiar with balifor area. here is a plan if you are around solace area for paladin.

1-5 upper sewers
6-8 lower sewers
9-12 goblin camp/darken forest
13-15 sligs/kobold mine/bandit hideout

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »
I'm surprised no one mentioned shaman in all of this.

If you are going to be soloing a lot then I would suggest a shaman if you don't mind playing a caster/melee type character, or a barb if you just want to play a tank. A shaman can solo really well, and while you will need to learn some spell loads, and the regen quest, you should be able to find someone who can help you out. Now, a barb can solo really well too, just so long as you pay attention and don't dance at the wrong time.

" I've gone with long blades + shield, do you recommend getting a pole arm instead on my pally?"

Pole arms are always a good choice on a paladin, but really you can go with most any weapon and do fine. I would pick the weapon type that you know you can load yourself that's also decent.

"I'm a little confused by summon mount, it says that it summons a mount to help you fight, but I can't order my horse to do anything, he just sits there!  I tried grouping him, ordering him, is this just something that becomes better later or is he just a simple mount?"

If memory serves I recall that for the last 1 or 2 levels where you have the light warhorse it does become a charm and not just a mount.

Anyway, I would seriously give barbs and shaman a try and see how you like them. Both have their own strength's for solo, so it'll depend on your playing style mostly. Oh, since EQ is a concern (as in getting any lol) both classes are far less eq dependent that a thief or warrior. A shaman can go without any eq at all since they can create their own weapons (it's also a damn good weapon considering its free), and a barb just needs some weapons when it comes right down to it (at-least for how you'll be playing).

dodok

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
Thank you all again for the tips.  It is much appreciated.  Thief is 11 now as is my pally.  I keep hoping that the pally gets spell circle 2 the next level and I am continually disappointed!!

I had no idea about the world merchant, it was in plain sight and I never gave him a second look!  I thought you meant the balifor shop next to trader's square....  I was able to get my thief and pally a little bit of gear to replace the "training" crap.  Unfortunately, I also spent all my money buying the stuff there and then id/loring them (of course it was mostly useless +kick gear that sounds thiefy :(, and of course there was the brain fart where I tried to take my pally into delphon to buy a lore (umm ouch).

"Pole arms are always a good choice on a paladin, but really you can go with most any weapon and do fine. I would pick the weapon type that you know you can load yourself that's also decent."

I know 0 weapon loads.  I rely entirely on shops (sad, I know).  It's why my general setup on thief is jeweled dagger + slender stiletto!  Short-hafted spear if I can get someone to help kill that bugger for me...  If I use a polearm, then I can't use shield block and strike, right?  They seem pretty important..  I guess I'll experiment.

Hmm Shaman.. I think I actually played one a few years back..  They're the ones that can create bludgeons and there is a quest to go through an annoying aggro zone (house ??) or something?  I remember trying that quest on 4 or 5 different occasions and just barely failing each time and having to do painful CRs and losing all my eq twice or something.  After the 5th time, I decided to level once or twice more to make it easy, but then I got multi-pkilled and my will was broken!  Anyways, happy mudding and thanks again!

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
sandbagger!

sart

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 01:37:28 PM »

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 03:13:17 PM »
If I use a polearm, then I can't use shield block and strike, right?  They seem pretty important..  I guess I'll experiment.

Some polearms can be wielded with one hand, if you use one of those you can shield block and strike. There's one for sale in the Haven weapon shop. You should be able to order your mount when you get high enough level to summon a heavy warhorsse.

Joe

• Fodder
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 04:07:53 PM »
Im liking paladin this wipe after having been gone for many years. Also have a warrior rolled up to bust some heads.

Historically I leveled a lot of clerics. netral was great for groups because you could join anyone and get ex. its cleric "light" imo since people will take u as a healbot everywhwre.

Good was awesome solo thanks to dispel evil, and evil wasnt far behind.

I remember pulling off some fun stuff once i had Gate. like a charmy that hit double extreme and maybe backstabbed? been a while lol.

wtf is the world merchant? ive been using kala and tarsis stores lol

Loretta

• Fodder
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 04:18:40 PM »
World merchant have same goods list in all towns and shared it with clan stronghold blacksmith. In kalaman it stands on the street between armor and weapon shop.

dodok