Author Topic: Automatic Skill Training  (Read 366 times)

Kadaj

• Zoner
Automatic Skill Training
« on: July 02, 2019, 07:24:45 AM »
I'm not sure how training really works, but it would be an amazing quality of life change to just automatically train skills. I feel enlightened, I feel especially skillful. Those sound like I actually learned something.....but wait, I have to go to a guildmaster who sits on their butt all day in a room in town to tell me that I indeed, learned something.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
Re: Automatic Skill Training
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 09:54:07 AM »
YES! Let's do this asap!

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »
how about a compromise where you still need guildmasters but you only guildmasters them once per level.  (i.e. maximum of 30 skillfuls to reach superb).  though for all i know it already works like that so maybe 15-20 skillfuls?  or maybe this could be part of the reincarnation package?

Given how powerful legendary and steelskin are, perhaps reincarnation could focus on quality of life rather than introducing power creep + grind which results in fights being rebalanced and then only the grind remains.  better skill training would be great example of quality of life that does not require fight rebalances.

replacing the "you feel especially skillful" message with something explicit like "you need to learn more from a guild master before making further porgress" might be nice for the casuals and newbs.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 10:08:38 AM by gnua »

Malthros

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 03:00:16 PM »
replacing the "you feel especially skillful" message with something explicit like "you need to learn more from a guild master before making further porgress" might be nice for the casuals and newbs.

This a million times over.

Also remove all skillup messages when you're already at the max skill for your current level.  Getting enlighten/skillful spam during combat because your weapon's at your current level cap is annoying and probably very confusing for new players.

Tajs

• Favorite Zone: Dun mir
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »
#gag {You feel especially skillful.}

;-)

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 10:07:58 AM »
#gag {You feel especially skillful.}

;-)

there are two flavors of skillful: need a guild master to go up vs need a level to go up.  i think he wants to gag the latter but not the former.

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 11:01:25 AM »
I've had all of these gagged since we added the little "*" next to skills that were ready to train.
Removing the messages when you have the * might be possible, I'll see what we can do.
If it is too much of a time sink we will probably pass it over and do more useful stuff.

As far as automatic skill training, not really interested in implementing something like that.
You can only learn so much on your own before you need additional instruction from the guildmaster.

The way that skill training works is pretty simple, here's a fictional example for you:
All skills are based on a numerical range, let's say 1-100.
This range is further broken up into smaller chunks.
Say 1-10, 10-15, 15-20, etc, etc, etc.
Each time you 'cap' one of these individual ranges you have to return to your guildmaster to open up the next range.

The guildmaster knows all the tricks and has mastered the skill, so they have the ability to teach you how to do more, thereby opening up further learning in the skill.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 01:28:01 PM »
All skills are based on a numerical range, let's say 1-100.
This range is further broken up into smaller chunks.
Say 1-10, 10-15, 15-20, etc, etc, etc.
Each time you 'cap' one of these individual ranges you have to return to your guildmaster to open up the next range.

any chance of making the chunks a little bigger?

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »
Getting enlighten/skillful spam during combat because your weapon's at your current level cap is annoying and probably very confusing for new players.

I was very confused by this.  When I saw skillful I thought it meant my character was improving each time I saw it (i.e. something good was happening).  It took me a long time to figure out that the skill was actually NOT training and it was wasted opportunities to improve (i.e. something bad was happening and there were two possible causes/solutions to the problem).