Author Topic: Advanced Magical Training  (Read 816 times)

blackmagus

• Zoner
Advanced Magical Training
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:58:07 PM »
The Conclave tests have turned out to be a fantastic introduction to adaptive gameplay and puzzle solving for new players wanting to play a magic user. What I'd like to see are a series of quests that take that critical thinking to a new level. Specifically the quests would involve puzzle solving and combat to solve, with a reward being some small piece of enhancing gear, less common components or rarely, a spellbook of the fifth of sixth circle.

The thought process is that while advanced players or clans will be commonly obtaining these spells for their clanmates and alts, making the guests inefficient. While a new player without access to the same shared knowledge could gain equipment rewards, practice and potentially a spell they would otherwise have to load or purchase themselves.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
Re: Advanced Magical Training
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 10:03:31 AM »
All of that sounds dumb. Mages get at pet at lvl 20 now. Or something like that. They're base spells are more than enough to level up. It's not like casting level eq is hard to come by. You can go and load a 3d5 enchantable prime bludgeon on a level 12 mage right now and enchant it for better damage. You can enchant an AC set. You mem faster than ever now days. The only thing that would come from this would be a free spell that IMO shouldn't be free.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 11:59:10 AM »
It's not meant to be a freebie. It's meant to give some more exposure to the types of zone exploring and logical puzzles/keywords folks are likely to run into in the game. Quests are risk vs reward and these would introductory as well as offer useful low impact rewards.

The spell idea is not meant to be game breaking, but there's spells in the fifth slot that can be soloed easily already, so why not put them in as a low death_load percentage? Risk versus reward is what this game is about and if we can create storyline additions to the game, even better

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 01:58:59 PM »
I believe the two newest zones had to goal in mind of teaching people how to explore. I don't think the game needs another one, especially one targeted at the lowest played class.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 05:09:21 AM »
However, what I do wish to see is more of the puzzles/problem solving in class quests. The mage quest has got to be my favorite and most memorable thing to solve in this game. it was intricate, had a lot of aspect to it that were amazing and I think every class should get the chance to do one like that.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 03:38:48 PM »
I'd agree that such guests and mini-zones would be useful to a good number of classes, either to explore skills, learn tactics or other useful features.

Terk

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 10:01:06 AM »
It’s funny to me that people like the conclave test. While I thought they were awesome and fun, I only remember hearing complaints about that content for years!

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 11:59:01 PM »
I was one of those folks who complained the loudest when the mage class was first broken down into robes and frankly, I was wrong. It was a great change.

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 11:40:32 AM »
Don't sweat it blackmagus. You are, quite frankly, wrong a lot.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 10:00:51 PM »
Don't sweat it blackmagus. You are, quite frankly, wrong a lot.

Mom?