Author Topic: This game is funny (just a few observations from this wipe)  (Read 18387 times)

eddiex

• Zoner
Bored.

-Early in the wipe, it is still possible to effectively zone w/o bots if neutral clans band together and there is an efficient and skilled leader to facilitate these activities (although it is my opinion that it is not possible to effectively compete with multis/bots because of the body advantage it gives the offender).

-If the people who bot/multi really gave a bapt about the playerbase and not just their shinies, they would leave the people described above alone regardless of circumstance (i.e. loaded one of your decays, zoning with your enemy for ranks, etc.).

-People threaten to quit if they are associated with bots/multiiers so they can try to leverage immortals into playing by their rules. 

-People really quit when they have something better to be doing than mudding all day.

-For those of you who say there isn't any clan without multiing/botting, it's just because your clan has bots and multis

-I don't know if Hoss telling SoB to tone down their multiing/botting and other questionable activity meant for them to stop completely, but if he didn't mean for them to stop multiing/botting completely it's pretty lame that this is even a rule.

-I am glad that a severe punishment was handed down to a clan in violation of the rules (although i don't think there is a truly effective measure to stop botting/multiing).

sam

Re: This game is funny (just a few observations from this wipe)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 03:22:57 AM »
"-People really quit when they have something better to be doing than mudding all day."

This!

Jozheg

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »
There's no problem with punishment, there's a problem with justice. If one would apply a saying "..and justice for all", the latter part has been omitted during the execution of this thesis, thus turning it rather into a repressive outbreak, than a rule enforcement.
I'm actually referring not only to our incident, but to the one of dele's, as well. They suffered the same targetted execution (though I'm not sure, if their whole clan was stripped/punished otherwise or not).
I consider Hoss's addressing us with the botting issues prior to the strip to be a plain and simple trick of manipulation, so as to relay the burden of responsibility for his decision unto us ("see, i warned you, and you still did it! bad, bad guys, i strip your clan (just your clan, as an example to others), and its all YOUR fault!"). That's VERY cheap. My daughter does better :-)

Anyway, what point did you try to promote? That you're happy that we were punished?

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:57:36 AM »
So how many people did this effect..  excluding the bots of course lmao

Slunt

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:17:06 PM »
Correct Me if i am wrong Jozheg but are you not using the exact same tactic back on Hoss? Not that hoss did any such thing. He really gave you a warning and a chance to stop on your own accord. I say you should grow up you are the violators you can not somehow twist it around using moron logic onto the game administration.

That being said i think a single Multi/bot should be allowed.

Malthros

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 07:08:53 PM »
Hoss is such a puppetmaster that warning you guys was manipulation on his part?  I think the tinfoil might be cutting off the flow of blood to your brain if you believe that.

You were told to stop. You didn't stop.  Did you think he was just going to go "we'll they called my bluff better let the go" or what?

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »
Amen.

I've never grouped (knowingly) with bots...probably because I don't IRC while playing, where I am certain the topic of botting is being discussed.

I have, however, been killed by bot armies before and it is BY FAR the most infuriating aspect of Arctic. People spouting negativity, being hunted, summon pk, DT...hell even training camp is better than getting whacked by a couple people who are obviously breaking the rules. To me, this falls along the exact same lines as bread bombing people so they cannot recall...it's an exploitation of the game mechanics to kill others. Period.

I've waffled back and forth on if botting should be allowed or not, but until a day comes when it is available for everyone I applaud every single time someone gets stripped or abyssed or deleted for pulling this crap.

The "but everyone else is doing it" argument is just plain crap as well. I know several players well enough to say they have NEVER multi logged, character shared, or botted for skills or PK.

I love this game. I've played for over 15 years now and I have always known where the line has been drawn with regards to this topic...it hasn't changed and there are no surprises. It should come as no surprise to you or anyone else that this is exactly where the road you chose to walk would take you.

Matt

btown

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 10:49:18 PM »
Good post,  nobody likes bots and the ones who do spam cyan

Loretta

• Fodder
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 03:03:43 AM »
Point is the Hoss let bots grow unstead of delete em from v start and dont need to punish whole clan. Now he talking some shit about i warn you - baptyou asshole you just help your fellow natural born suckers to peaceful zone.

Jozheg

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 04:25:24 AM »
Slunt:
No.
Firstly, I do not want a thing from Kirt. No goal = no manipulation.
Secondly, I didn't say he's wrong, he's right as far as the rule policing goes. We've done wrong, we're punished for our personal sins. No relaying of responsibility.

To sum my previous post up, what infuriates me is that we were chosen just like Jesus to be crucified for the sins of the whole mud. But the word wasn't spread, the book wasn't written, so how does it help to fight the botting issue on the larger scale? No news, no posts from the hand, that bestowed the God's wrath upon Sodom and Bomorrah! Silence. So, where's the proclaimed lesson to the others?
That pretty much smells of discrimination, not justice.

Malthros:
So, in your world you do not drive drunk only if an officer stops you and says to not do it?
The law should be universal. You decide to force it, you force it everywhere where it's broken.

Matt:
My argument is not "but everyone else is doing it", but "everyone doing it should be punished".
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:28:01 AM by Jozheg »

btown

• Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 06:17:11 AM »
I agree. delete them all!

Malthros

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
Malthros:
So, in your world you do not drive drunk only if an officer stops you and says to not do it?
The law should be universal. You decide to force it, you force it everywhere where it's broken.

I don't drive drunk because it's illegal.

If I did drive drunk, got caught, and only got a warning I'd be thankful for the act of mercy.  In this case SoB decided to swing by the liquor store and grab a fresh bottle and then drive down the same road where that cop was parked.

Your example was pretty awful either way.  Perhaps you'd prefer if Hoss just nuke you outright next time.

Essex

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »
But the word wasn't spread, the book wasn't written, so how does it help to fight the botting issue on the larger scale? No news, no posts from the hand, that bestowed the God's wrath upon Sodom and Bomorrah! Silence. So, where's the proclaimed lesson to the others?

If you genuinely think that the only people who know about this happening are the readers of this forum, you've forgotten exactly how small Arctic has gotten. Everyone knew by like day three, those of us that have logged in since then, for several obvious reasons. Funny thing is, the moral of this story isn't not to cheat, but to report those that do, because when they get busted, more loot loads for the rest of us.

My question is, what the hell is with comparing yourself to Jesus?

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 08:26:22 PM »
The point of my post is that i was bored and wanted something to read from my arctic brethren.

"I've waffled back and forth on if botting should be allowed or not, but until a day comes when it is available for everyone I applaud every single time someone gets stripped or abyssed or deleted for pulling this crap."

Agreed. 

I think there is a huge problem with a multi/bot justification which i've read from a member of SoB forum posts.  Something to the effect of 'We started the wipe clean, but when our numbers dipped we started multi/botting'.  The problem with this is that by multiing/botting you increase your zoning power, helping you do zones more efficiently to potentially maintain equipment sets or items.  Also if you're multi/botting and pking thats just lame, plain and simple.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »
who even cares, honestly. last i checked arctic struggles to break 15 characters at many times of the day. better delete the bots so theres only 8!