Poll

Would you rather see new content or old content revamped into 'new' zones?

Revamps
5 (13.9%)
New Content
31 (86.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Revamps Vs. New Zones  (Read 2499 times)

blackmagus

• Zoner
Re: Revamps Vs. New Zones
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2019, 07:06:11 PM »
Common sense isn't having a chip on their shoulder. The fact Jason is defending that kind of action is surprising however.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2019, 10:23:00 PM »
Not only is it literally the first thing I would do on a builder, I would be shocked to find it out of bounds.  I have built on other muds. To balance a fight, you need to know spell effects, not guess at them and log onto your mortal to do 100 tests and collate data.

It's a silly rule which ignores both the needs of the builder and the reality that I literally learned this game (as did many others) after realizing that some people have illicit information, and while I will never be told said info, I can group, observe, and glean the castoffs of their cheating... as there is no other way to learn the things some people treat as common knowledge.   

While I can accept that some people actually spent 800 hours learning Uth or two weeks staring at a bookcase in Righ, (unlikely but possible), the level of detail I have seen commonly distrivuted in groups re spell effects simply isn't achievable via means other than statting.  Trust me, I file such knowledge away for the coming years when I see it, hence the savant-like random knowledge with huge gaps... but of course, such basic knowledge should be available to more than those clanned with the lucky few.

A builder *needs* details on any spell which gets used in his zone... that's a minimum need for balancing.  However, the intentional obfuscation that this game calls spell help files have been a travesty since before Clinton was elected.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:39:43 PM by Hoodoo »

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 01:54:11 AM »
Access to the creation port is limited to active creators only. Active creators are defined as people actually producing zones or helping others to do so.

Not everyone is good at it, most people stagnate and do not complete their zones. They really are a lot of work, most of which is boring.

After a long enough period of time these people are removed from creation. In the event that they should wish to come back, they can ask for access again.
For those who have had a few chances before and produced nothing the general wisdom is that they are a poor investment of time on creation port for the creation overseers and so they are not allowed the opportunity to return again.

People who are on creation port but not actually making progress on their zones but instead doing things with no purpose other than to benefit them as a mortal player are removed from creation immediately and not given another opportunity to help with the game in any meaningful way as an immortal.

Everyone that has spoken to me about a desire to get involved with the game has been given an opportunity to do so.
Not all of those people have followed through and that's okay, but it does mean that not every offer of help is going to be accepted.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 05:12:43 AM »
Yeah yeah ok. But who is blackmagus?

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2019, 06:12:18 AM »
Access to the creation port is limited to active creators only. Active creators are defined as people actually producing zones or helping others to do so.

People who are on creation port but not actually making progress on their zones but instead doing things with no purpose other than to benefit them as a mortal player are removed from creation immediately and not given another opportunity to help with the game in any meaningful way as an immortal.

The only thing is, I was actively making a zone. I was making two zones actually. I also remade the entirety of Tantallon and Tantallon Keep and it was ready to be re-implemented until it was magically recovered.  So yes, I can create and yes, I am willing to do it again.

I think one of the biggest things that stops people from wanting to invest time into creation is the current rule set in place.

You aren't allowed to create what you want. You are allowed to create what Kam thinks people want. Forcing players to invest hours upon hours of time to a lowbie zone that will ultimately have no impact on the game as it is now is pretty much torture. If you are told to create something that you aren't passionate about or WANT to create, well good luck finding enough people willing to do that. Also having our Overlord go MIA for weeks on end when someone is waiting for a project or finalization of a project can really de-motivate someone.

Again, Kam, I'm willing to help on creation and many others are too, but allow us to do what we would feel passionate about instead of making another kender zone.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2019, 09:56:27 AM »

Who is John Galt?

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2019, 10:07:59 AM »

Some troll who hides behind an alias on a mid 90's text based game forum.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »
I would suggest that BlackMagus wear his opinions loud and proud above a name like me, but we see how that worked for me, socially.  :) Likely, he's picked the best course of action.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2019, 07:03:59 PM »

Not everyone is good at it, most people stagnate and do not complete their zones. They really are a lot of work, most of which is boring.

After a long enough period of time these people are removed from creation. In the event that they should wish to come back, they can ask for access again.
For those who have had a few chances before and produced nothing the general wisdom is that they are a poor investment of time on creation port for the creation overseers and so they are not allowed the opportunity to return again.

Everyone that has spoken to me about a desire to get involved with the game has been given an opportunity to do so.
Not all of those people have followed through and that's okay, but it does mean that not every offer of help is going to be accepted.

What's the chance that your upcoming post on the state of game can give more information on the direction your headed and the work you'd like to see on the creation end? A focus on the beginner experience, an addition to the Conclave quests that could give a chance for 5/6th circle spells, more mid-level zones for goodie alignments to make their progression a bit more varied, etc.?

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2019, 09:32:03 PM »
I'm glad I brought a bowl of popcorn for my weekly forum reading.

-Sean

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2019, 09:51:55 AM »
I'm glad I brought a bowl of popcorn for my weekly forum reading.

-Sean

Miss you, babe!

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2019, 09:53:53 AM »
What's the chance that your upcoming post on the state of game can give more information on the direction your headed and the work you'd like to see on the creation end? A focus on the beginner experience, an addition to the Conclave quests that could give a chance for 5/6th circle spells, more mid-level zones for goodie alignments to make their progression a bit more varied, etc.?

Sounds like you have some ideas you should share with us a bit more formally.
Start a new thread and let us know what you're thinking, we are always happy to have constructive input.

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »
Thank you everyone for your participation in this thread.

I don't think that it has turned out well but the discussion of why revamps are important I think was covered pretty well earlier in the thread.

We will continue to do revamps and also add new content the same as we have always done.
Several of both are being worked on currently and we'll be excited to share them with you when we can.

Anyone interested in trying their hand at creation is encouraged to apply for an immortal.
Please read the updated HELP IMM APP before contacting a 34+ to apply.