Poll

Would you rather see new content or old content revamped into 'new' zones?

Revamps
5 (13.9%)
New Content
31 (86.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Revamps Vs. New Zones  (Read 2268 times)

Dyl

• Zoner
Re: Revamps Vs. New Zones
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 11:07:42 AM »
What sort of update do you want?  They have no active full-time coders, pvp was neutered, and a bunch of people want to remake old classic zones for some reason.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 08:38:00 PM »
You know, I really wish, Kam, that you would provide some meaningful information about the current state of the game, instead of logging on and making some snarky ass comment that you think is super cool or witty. Act like someone who leads this game, instead of taking all the credit for the hard work everyone else does.

Maybe he doesn't want to waste time on trash like you who want nothing more than to cut him down?

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 08:56:33 PM »
So how about instead of these passive aggressive posts and sniping, why don't you immort and make some new content yourself. If you're unable to meet the pre-requisites, how about instead you manually design zonelets on paper, write out the rdescs, mdescs and odescs for what you have in mind and submit it? There is a limit to what you can accomplish with the nihilism you clearly can't get past. So do something about it.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 10:13:03 PM »
I have emailed Kam three separate times to join creation. I've offered to help plenty of times. I just don't'appreciate the way Kam comes onto these forums and posts snarky comments.  I'm not hiding behind an alias at least.

I'm not trying to take away what Kam has done for the game.  But whenever I log on here in hopes of something new and enlightening about the state of the game, I just see these rude comments . I appreciate everything that all the creators do. The new Shadow is my favorite zone this wipe.  Que-kul was a blast to explore as well. I think people just want to know what's in store for the game that we all love.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:18:49 PM by Kadaj »

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 10:47:41 PM »
It was posted long ago that if you can build a zone outside of a creation role and submit it, you'll get instantly promoted. Try it.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 11:48:46 PM »
I can't think of anything more ridiculous than trying to create an entire zone in notepad.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:50:23 PM by Kadaj »

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2019, 04:05:27 AM »
Welllllllllll, since you brought it up..

You've been given an opportunity on creation. You didn't do well. Tell that story.
This, for the record, is also a snarky comment and not an informative dissertation on the state of the game.

Though, perhaps I should mention that my larger posts about the state of the game are very heavily intentioned and sometimes take some time to write because I like to provide good and concrete plans for the future of the game in the hope that those who play will find the things mentioned therein to not only be worth discussing here but also enough to entice them to come back to the game perhaps after an absence of days or weeks or in many cases as we have seen lately after quite a lot of years.
In fact, one of these posts is and has been in the works for some time, it'll probably get posted soon (we're still figuring out what to ruin for you).

I do not take my position lightly, though you seem to enjoy making light of it. I do not believe that anyone cares for Arctic more than I do.

Nor do I believe that anyone else ever will. You want what you want because you are a player, it's why you'll never make it as a creator.
It's hard to see the wires in the circus, hard to know how the magic works, it ruins the circus, ruins the magic.

This game is my game and I do everything for it for the benefit of people like you who seem to care not at all for the people who devote themselves to its betterment.
The staff stagnates periodically because life gets in the way, but coming back to shitposters and scumbags doesn't exactly fill anyone with a desire to renew their devotion.

If you don't like the game I am running, play a different one. There are some great ones out there. None of them are like this, or as good.

But..
If you love Arctic, believe in the people who are working for it, to make it better, and maybe, just maybe, try to believe in them.
Believe that they do it out of their devotion to a game that they love, for a playerbase that they love, for an idea that they love.
Try caring about those people who have given you so much enjoyment, so much fun, so much fear and devastation.
Afterall, this is Arctic.

Code: [Select]
"Life is dangerous, Caramon. Just stepping out that door is dangerous! You
cannot hide from danger. Death floats on the air, creeps through the
window, comes with the handshake of a stranger. If we stop living because
we fear death, then we have already died."
-Raistlin Majere "The Soulforge"

The roads are long and tiring, be prepared.  The game is designed for
experienced MUD players; it is full of subtle dangers, so keep your:
eyes open.

'You will be yet another pawn on this chessboard you call
     life.  I bind your soul to the mortal realm so you may
     play your part in the continual struggle.  This is not
     a gift.  As you will see, it can be your curse.'

Welcome to Arctic.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 04:53:45 PM »
Code: [Select]
[quote author=Kam link=topic=2386.msg13972#msg13972 date=1556964327]
Welllllllllll, since you brought it up..

You've been given an opportunity on creation. You didn't do well. Tell that story.

I do not believe that anyone cares for Arctic more than I do.

Nor do I believe that anyone else ever will.

This game is my game
[/quote]

Yikes dude.

As for my creation 'story' I was making a zone and decided to test out what spells actually did. So I started to cast them on myself and stat myself to see what benefits they gave. You know, because this game has no transparency when it comes to what things do. I've offered to help write every single help spell file.  I've offered plenty of times to help with anything I can because as you, I care about the game as well.

So let's take your own advice......if you want Arctic to strive and succeed and bring people back, ACCEPT HELP when it's offered.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2019, 06:56:05 PM »
To be fair, if casting spells and statting was the issue... who wouldn't do that, given the idiotic obfuscation even two decade players live under.  I certainly would... immediately.  If for no other reason than I can't properly build a caster without knowing actual buff effects.

Either there was more to it, or the builder rules are... hilariously optimistic given the history of this game. 

You can absolutely map a zone, odesc/mdesc/rdesc it on paper.  Easiest way, really.  Only the softcoding aspects would need builder access.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2019, 06:58:40 PM »
If you want to see a mud, originally developed alongside this one, which has completely been bapted by actual malicious or biased imms, check ArmageddonMud.  Makes Hoss look like a management guru.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2019, 09:47:44 PM »
To be fair, if casting spells and statting was the issue... who wouldn't do that, given the idiotic obfuscation even two decade players live under.  I certainly would... immediately.  If for no other reason than I can't properly build a caster without knowing actual buff effects.

Either there was more to it, or the builder rules are... hilariously optimistic given the history of this game. 

You can absolutely map a zone, odesc/mdesc/rdesc it on paper.  Easiest way, really.  Only the softcoding aspects would need builder access.

If it was an issue? Because he didn't have enough access to get the current spell_dat information, he misused his position to get game information. What's ironic is all of the screaming about cheating when someone admits doing it themselves.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 11:02:17 AM »
Again, it is impossible to appropriately balance a caster w/o knowing spell effects.  If you are building mobs, you need to know these things. 

To give people easy access to the knowledge we would all kill for, and expecting them not to use that simple expedient to gain knowledge needed for your job, is about as bright as a smashed lightbulb.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 11:10:44 AM »
Add to this the fact that most of the overlords were at one point members of a clan built upon and based upon the concept of "cheat to win" (Shriners...ShrinerMud port.. mudding from the server room at Berkeley... mass deleting clans who beat them in Tarsis Square...)  Hoss's previous immortal was deleted for cheating... at least 2 other overlords had major cheating scandals..

And we're worried about one guy trying to gain knowledge he needed to build in the first place?

I have probably played w Kadaj , but I don't know him.  Just saying... perhaps we might take a moment of honest reflection upon the history before throwing barbs, just for context.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 11:17:14 AM »
I am not defending Kadaj's tone towards Kam.. Kam has done incredible things, and were social aspects different, I'd be playing.  But claiming that as cheating in the face of the many, many actual, drastic instances of imm cheating which have affected the players of this game in the past seems odd.

Again, I tend to think there had to be more to that.  That kind of info ised to be handed to Shriners in a handy and informative cheatsheet.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2019, 11:18:57 AM »
Who is Blackmagus? Man do you have a chip on your shoulder. Has Kadaj.... touched you? This is a safe space. Show us on the doll.

I do agree with Hoodoo and Kadaj on everything really. Capt the Kam stuff. I dont notice snarky comments.