Author Topic: New Players and Quests  (Read 2497 times)

Heo

• Fodder
New Players and Quests
« on: February 26, 2019, 01:43:30 PM »
I noticed we still get a decent amount of new players or players returning after a long hiatus.

It might be nice to have a thread/post on zones to do to help get them to 25, tips/tricks (like being able to "pray" at a cleric guild to get rid of curse), etc.

And for things like heal quest or regen quest or robes quest to point them in right direction.  The world here is super large, and I think a lot of the knowledge all of us have is passed on from clans or friends, which gives people a distinct advantage.

Just a thought.  I see a guy named Ruck trying to make his way through the game, and I as well as other people help them, but it would be cool if there was something to make sure people don't get frustrated and stop.  I remember when I started playing again and Johari helped guide me through Neraka, I appreciated that.

Heo

• Fodder
Re: New Players and Quests
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 02:33:36 PM »
Off the top of my head suggestions in the minute or so of thinking, I'm sure I left off a bunch of good ones

Some zone suggestions for Evil chars (ordered from low lvl to high lvl)

Palanthas farm (w and n of Pal w gate)
Druid Nook (west out of kal w gate, touch marble - lots of keywords in this zone)
Fort Khalarm - (west and south of kal)
Palanthas Gnomes n w e out w gate pal
Palanthas Library
Hylo - west of palanthas over ocean
Fyzia - west and south and west and south of palanthas
Palanthas palace guards
Solace Thanes - west north of Solace
Fallstaff Manor - southern part of palanthas
Crimson keep + Gulfport
Volcano
Kal docks
Dwarven Keep + Deep Mine

Good players

Pal Graveyard
Brog (lots of keywords) - neish from balifor
Sligs
Goblins
Pigmies - east south east of kalaman, make sure go east and not west or south after taking the down
Solace kobold - out w gate
Argand Keep
Northern Ergoth + illrigger - west of palanthas
Bali training ground + pirates
Neraka
Drac Tower

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 01:05:45 PM »
If anyone or some folks collectively want to review and update help newbie and all the help newbie <area> specific helpfiles that would be great and I will happily update the ones in game.

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 06:45:28 PM »
I remember when I started playing again and Johari helped guide me through Neraka, I appreciated that.
I remember him from the past. Johari helped me when I was confused trying to help my cleric get heal. It is tough to get going again after, any help the better, especially updated help zone files.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 07:47:28 AM »
Just stay in Solace.

Terk

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »
Just to add to this, when we did the redesign of Solace (now a decade old), the goal was very much that basically all new players would spend time leveling in Solace. Most of the zones repop so quickly, it is expected players can do Solace through level 15 without any hindrance--both good and evil characters.

Heo

• Fodder
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »
Specifically for clerics and shaman, maybe it would be useful for a quest to appear when they hit lvl 25 instructing them to go to xak or jungle to find heal/regen - just to get them on the right path, otherwise there's pretty much no way to figure that stuff out besides asking people.

el conquistador

• Fodder
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 04:19:56 AM »
Specifically for clerics and shaman, maybe it would be useful for a quest to appear when they hit lvl 25 instructing them to go to xak or jungle to find heal/regen - just to get them on the right path, otherwise there's pretty much no way to figure that stuff out besides asking people.

sadly this game is Extremely dependent on having inside information.  as you said how would a new player even know heal and regen existed?  imagine actually figuring out the stoneskin quest with no help.  even if you somehow found all the pieces there is pretty much 0 chance anyone is going to figure out what to do with them on their own.

many zones are the same way. 

hanlon

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 11:59:46 AM »

sadly this game is Extremely dependent on having inside information.  as you said how would a new player even know heal and regen existed?  imagine actually figuring out the stoneskin quest with no help.  even if you somehow found all the pieces there is pretty much 0 chance anyone is going to figure out what to do with them on their own.

many zones are the same way.

I agree with you on the heal/stoneskin/regen quest. I think more helpfiles should be added to the game for these types of quest. Especially when they are required for you to progress further on that class...Mainly Legend! However Saying quite a few zones are like this doesn't help anyone out. Which zones do you think needed insider information to help? I've went through and re-learned/solved so many zones this wipe and so far I only really have a problem with two zones. Castle Uth Wistan I think needs a major re-vamp. Solving the Vault or even figuring out Latanth is next to impossible to solve without someone with access to that information helping you out. Would anyone care to show me where the hint in the Castle Uth Library is at that tells you to "Browse books"? I can tell you right now there isn't one yet everyone whose ever played a mage magically knows how to open her? The Caslte Uth Vault is the same way. Have you ever met anyone who can open that vault and can also show you where all the clues/hints are for it? I can't!!

The next zone I have a problem with is Icewall and the Sleet Dragon orb quest. This Zone is beyond broke and I've never met a single soul currently playing this game that can show me a single clue or hint for anything in Icewall. Its like everyone who knows Icewall just woke up one day and magically knew how to do it. Where are the clues/hints/anything for Icewall? I've been in the caslte and up and down the rift and there isn't shit on how to solve that zone. A prime example would be unlocking the secret inside the castle? Where is the Clue to even "unlock secret". How did anyone ever solve it to begin with?

If we want to talk quest that I believe are broken and need a re-vamp...look know further Than Emil Ravenscore ques! This one is an absolute mind boggle. I've seen it done several times and I Still don't understand how it was solved and that's after seeing it done and knowing how to do it! Like how did the first person to solve it ever solve this quest? What did they do run around Palanthas handing out 50 coins to every single random mob until one finally spoke to them about the quest? Same thing for Jacob in neraka or having to go to Cabre and all the other stuff you do for this quest. You can't solve it legit. Someone would of had to of looked this info up for you!

I hope this doesn't get deleted. I Wasn't trying to give out game info but at the same time I don't know how to complain about these zones and ask for changes it I can cite examples of things I think are broken with them.

Caine

• Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 07:45:41 PM »
When I was first starting out, I stumbled on the start point for that quest by complete chance, but only because I was scanning in every room while mapping out the city. After Jacob, however, I agree wholeheartedly that the quest becomes basically impossible for any new player to figure out on their own. Maybe there's some silly KW i'm missing with the items that I never figured out, but even if there is, that's beside the point.

I would suggest that all quests either give you a very good idea of where to go, what to look for, or what to do to complete them. An example of such a quest already in the game:

As you free * from his confinements, he rises and pauses then offers
you a word of thanks. He pauses slightly then retrieves a small object from
within a hidden fold in his clothes. He whispers to you "return this object
to me when I have returned home and a just reward will be given. I am
saddened that I have nothing to offer you now. To enter my homeland go
north from Kalaman. The ocean will be difficult to navigate, but hopefully
Paladine will guide your path."

And if that's too easy you can bump up the difficulty a little by telling players some, but not all of the above (perhaps indicate what to do, but not where to go / vice versa / etc.)

Leaning over his desk, * continues, 'The caravan never made it. We made
travel plans with Emperor Mercadior to meet us at the dock of Gulfport and
arrange travel safely through Hylo, past the pirates beyond and to Palanthas
where gracious Lord Amothus was awaiting. He was to supply sustenance to our
knights and help them continue the last leg of the journey to the Tower. The
caravan never made it to Gulfport and now there is the only the worst to fear.
Sitting down, * opens his desk drawer and pulls out a bloodied piece of
paper. He looks at it and grips it firmly, before pushing it over for you to read.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The revisions have been acquired. My pets * and *
were able to subdue the entire caravan without me showing my
face. I will return to the keep at once with the manuscripts.
-N
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* says 'Present me with any evidence you can recover.'

Contrast that with Emil... which is a quest that, at least up to the point hanlon mentioned, doesn't give you any indication of how to progress further at all.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:04:44 PM by Laine_ »

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 07:43:35 AM »
Enter Nothingness is all you need to know!

On a more serious note, I do wish that the game was a little more transparent. It's not 1999 anymore, sure there are still secrets, but as far as quests go, there really isn't anything to guide the person along. I really think though, if people had access to these zones and could sit down and learn them, more people would be playing. The thing that burns me and a lot of other people out is leading. I mostly play solo during the day, but I honestly hate leading. Sure, I know the content and what to do, but sometimes I just want to sit back and let someone else do the work. I think with more people playing and learning the zones, players would come back/stick around longer.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:48:39 AM by Kadaj »

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 08:44:31 PM »
I'm the opposite lol. I hate following anyone. I dont want to lead a clan but I love zone leading. I actually quit playing as much because of all the zone walkthroughs going around and everyone forming a group. I dont even care about most of the eq. Just like driving.

Terk

• Immortal
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 11:16:27 AM »
re: Quest difficult from the creator of the Emil quest

So I would say the Emil quest is deliberately challenging, but I think there is a chronology of the shifting landscape of Arctic that gets lost over time and adds to the difficulty. [For example 2 of the progression clue points locales have had massive revamps since the quest was introduced, which I think adds to the difficulty]

As an example, if you've played this game for a long time, when the Emil quest first started the start mob was obvious because it was a completely new mob in the middle of a town that had been unchanged since the beginning of the game.

I'll admit that 12-15 years after its creation, the thinking is that mainly people will pass down the knowledge (that's one of the things that creates game community, which I think is an integral part of Arctic)--but generally interacting with named mobs in hidden rooms should not be considered "every random mob in the game". Solving the Emil quest takes a tremendous amount of broad game knowledge. The people who solved it when it was fresh, did so because of that tremendous game knowledge. They were able to spot what was different in each of the places the quest leads you to--it was thus easier for them to know where they had to apply pressure to find a secret.

That said, I for one don't particularly hate the idea that general walkthroughs become available 5-10 years after a zone is first solved. They should maybe even credit the initial solver if known.

el conquistador

• Fodder
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 06:49:11 AM »
the thinking is that mainly people will pass down the knowledge (that's one of the things that creates game community, which I think is an integral part of Arctic)

i believe that thinking is flawed.

yes there are a lot of nice people on arctic and i have gotten quite a lot of help from players over the years.  but i have also seen plenty of people go into the next room to do keywords to keep their secrets safe. 

i dont blame them.  in a limited equipment game which also has pvp, if you share knowledge you are inviting your items to be stolen on repop or making other players stronger who could some day kill you. 

as arctic has slowed down and pvp has mostly died off people have become much more willing to share information.  but they still have a vested interest in keeping the best stuff secret.  and now i am hearing that if too many people learn something, it will be changed.  that is another strong reason to not share information with anyone.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 07:36:52 AM »
I don't understand where this whole 'too many people know this so it's being changed' thing is coming from. Every wipe there's a few KWs that change here and there. It's not something new. Perhaps with more people learning these zones, they are just now noticing that the KWs have been changed?