Author Topic: Abandon eq limit  (Read 1248 times)

gulca

• Zone Leader
Abandon eq limit
« on: January 25, 2019, 12:58:53 AM »
Here is an idea that get rid of having a hard limit on any items.

Here are the mechanics.
1. There will be no upper limit on how many an item can exist on game.
2. The percentage of popping an item goes down with the number of existing item currently held by players.
3. The timer on the items determines the value of the item. The longer the item exist, the higher the value is. This will affect the following:
A. Rent is directly proportional to value.
B. Repair cost is also based on value.
4. The interesting part, the base value of the item is then multiplied by the number of existing items in game.

So what are the advantages of this system?
1. Everyone has a chance to pop real we equipment. No more limit one or 3 items. Mobs will not be naked a month after wipe.
2. You better keep the freshes eq, hence you better visit those zones.
3. If you are willing, you pay the price of keeping old and second hand eq. Which can get expensive real quick.
4. Which also means that it may not be practical for a single player to hoard all the equipment in 10 of his multies.

Downside?
1. Your high value eq will be deadbeated real quick in rent.
2. Even if you are legit single player, you might need to refresh your eq or earn tons of coins to not deadbeat.

Downside isn't really downside if there is always a chance the eq will pop inside zone.

Dagda

• Fodder
Re: Abandon eq limit
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 07:28:07 AM »
Mostly I like this, however the deadbeating is not an advantage to people who can only play once a week - for example. We shouldn't be punishing casual players, but finding a way to encourage them.

Thymorical2

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 02:04:01 PM »
Is there enough players where limited gear is a problem?

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 01:41:06 AM »
Having a good game system and having active players are different things.

I just like throwing suggestions that might improve the game and it can stay as an idea.

The concept of only having limit 1 items are appealing because it mimics real world and fantasy story settings. You can only have a staff of magius and that should be wielded by the greatest char of the wipe. However the ability of being able to rent and taking the items away from game for a extended period of time breaks the game play. Same with the existence of single room or peaceroom.

Of course another obvious difference between a storybook and a mmorg is every player wants to be that hero. No one wants to be a npc. It works in story book because it's written by an author.

kanu

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 12:59:21 PM »
My only issue right now with Arctic is that I would like to spend a bit less time reloading gear. It's not super fun and takes up time when I'd rather be exploring and trying new things out. I'd be happy if I could load a semi-okay set and not have to repop something every time I logged on. Right now, that doesn't seem possible and I play almost every day still.

David

Valenore

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 03:18:58 PM »
A bunch of scrubs, but the reasons me and the three people I was playing with quit a few months ago:

1. Not willing to grind to rank 25 to see the power boost we needed from legend to do harder zones than we currently could / not care about death exploring. (This was prior to the rank reset boost so this may not be as bad now).  Most of us were around rank 15 - 18 at the time.

2. Anything we could load that was exciting was already maxed.  The best of us was I think +3 damage melee and +2 heal cleric (got lucky and ganked someone's wrist heal repop from Last Gaard.)   Would have been 3 heal but limit set item decayed and someone else repoped.

Balancing the two, even with the gear we had we spent half our time repopping versus grabbing good ranks making it a trade off of equipment or progress towards legendary.

Easy solution to both, I guess the dichotomy is making the game harder for the remaining hardcore players vs making it a worth while time investment for those of us who can only dedicate a few days a week to playing.