Author Topic: Game is a total drag from 28 to pre-legendary-30.  (Read 2336 times)

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
Re: Game is a total drag from 28 to pre-legendary-30.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 07:16:25 PM »
I am so confused.

There is a TON of great solo and 2 man content in the game for levels 28-30. To be honest, once I hit 25 my focus switches entirely to skilling and ranking: the xp is always there and easy to get. If you are neutral the grind is a little harder, but you have more options, goodies and evils should be able to easily make 6-8 million an hour running mid zones with 1 or 2 characters.

The biggest and best thing about Arctic is just how BIG the game is. There are hundreds of zones, many which are rarely run. If you are not having fun I would suggest exploring some new options. Start with low zones and learn them all, then low-mid, etc.

In the process you'll learn more about exploring, so you can be better prepared for the mid explorations. You will also find, despite the kills not being much xp, that a lot of small xp and ranks add up. Also, doing something new is more fun and less grindy.

Hell, today I explored Alane Valley for the first time in years. I still have no idea what the purpose of the zone is, but i definitely enjoyed doing some new content.

Kholos

• Greater God
  • Fodder
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 08:33:30 PM »
@ Quid

In what game don't you have to be good? Yes, being good at something is usually beneficial.

@ BigHoot

There is plenty to do solo. You can XP, rank, level your medal, or zone normally. If it's solo quests you want, mages have a few (one is extremely difficult). Shamans have a couple. Clerics have one. There is at least one that requires a thief. For more difficult quests, you might find it necessary to 'prep' before hand with various heal potions, ams, or steelskin preps (or quests!)

It sounds to me like your knowledge of the game is fairly small, or like most of us you simply get accustomed to what you're already familiar with. But there is more content out there than any one person can know.

Quid

• Favorite Zone: Mortigoth
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 12:45:31 AM »
I'll try another post them since they seem to be getting deleted.

I don't want to play 2 characters because I don't enjoy playing that way, but we've gone over that already.
I think the cooldown timer for getting enlightened post v.good isn't doing anyone any favours.
I believe 15 ranks for steelskin is to much imo.

Take what you will from this post, or delete it if you find that funny.

Terk

• Immortal
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 01:20:23 PM »
I'll grant that 28-30 is a steep cliff that offers very little benefit to solo casual players for achieving it. For newer/less-seasoned players I understand how this is a big downer. You've been cruising through the mid game having a high old time with character progression and then WHAMO, there's a much larger wall and character progression stalls.

On the other side, almost every advanced player doesn't even think about exp, they just focus on skilling and ranking from the time they hit the mid 20s [and in some cases earlier]. Legend drives all pursuits. Exp comes so naturally with those pursuits that there is no reason to think about levelling for the sake of levelling. You will hit 1 xp long before you get your skills, ranks, and spells squared away for legend quests.

So you say, why make 28-30 harder? It WILL give some casual players a good sense of accomplishment if they never seek to achieve legend, even if it provides limited to no benefit to each individual character.

I would say that the reason frustration sets in at 28-30 is not because of the noticeable slowing of progression. It is because at that point you are still trying to play the "mid level" game of regular character progression, when your character has become ready for the "end game" game. Unfortunately, fun in the end game except for the most introverted of us requires making friends to hang out with while you are in zones, building a stronghold, etc. I can only imagine that being very difficult, since most of the people who still hang around have probably 10-20 year histories on the game and feel like they've already made their friends.

The only real question is should the game's leaders, i.e. Kam, make it so that people who really enjoy the mid level game (read "casual solo" with rapid progression up to level 28) have something to do for a longer period of time. [Right now it probably takes 24 hrs of game time to finish the mid level  content for almost all comers. If you're like me it probably can be done in 10 hrs.]   

TLDR: Sure I stopped playing this wipe when I soloed up to level 29 and stopped making progress at a fast rate. However, the reason I stopped playing this wipe at level 29, had much less to do with progression. It just had to do with the fact that given the way I was having to play (20-30 minute bursts of free time) I couldn't really play with my friends in any meaningful way and that is how the end game is meant to be played--my life doesn't give me the time to zone with others.

Rhys

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 10:13:11 PM »
Brilliant post.

Same here -> Sure I stopped playing this wipe when I soloed up to level 29 and stopped making progress at a fast rate. However, the reason I stopped playing this wipe at level 29, had much less to do with progression. It just had to do with the fact that given the way I was having to play (20-30 minute bursts of free time) I couldn't really play with my friends in any meaningful way and that is how the end game is meant to be played--my life doesn't give me the time to zone with others.

You can add me to the the most introverted of players list if you want but my solution was to play 4 characters. I had a great time learning some new things in my own time that a casual 2 man cant do and I didn't bother anyone. Immortals intervened.  Ultimately it is their decision but I haven't logged on since. Not a cry, merely the facts. 

sylvina

• Favorite Zone: Tantallon
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 06:41:42 AM »
i would just like to say as a returned player from 10-12 years ago that i have had a TON of fun playing the game again.  i was never an elite player nor one many of you would remember, but i have always really loved the game.  i have many cherished memories of the anticipation and excitement of seeing a high end zone for the first time or group pvp.

this wipe i came back to a whole different world in terms of pvp not being a thing anymore and the game being MUCH easier than i remember.  i could go on and on about all the changes but you guys know them already.

my journey to learn/relearn the game and teach a friend has yielded me a handful of lvl30/1x characters around rank ~20 and one legend (warrior).  i also got my first ever stoneskin druid (droopy, kodiak - tyvm) among many other personal achievements.

i just want to say that i never really felt the drag.  it was exciting for us to level to 28 as fast we could so we could get to the fun part.  exploring, trying to load decent eq, etc. and in doing all that you would get to 30 pretty easily.  the most grindy part for me was the last 2-3 ranks to get legend, but even that was not bad i feel.

i am still enjoying trying to learn new classes, book loads, zones... i am still enjoying the game.  perhaps my long break has kept me from being as burnt out as some of you who have continued to play all this time.  but i just wanted to offer my perspective.  thank you to everyone for keeping the game alive.

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 12:47:53 PM »
i would just like to say as a returned player from 10-12 years ago that i have had a TON of fun playing the game again.  i was never an elite player nor one many of you would remember, but i have always really loved the game.  i have many cherished memories of the anticipation and excitement of seeing a high end zone for the first time or group pvp.

this wipe i came back to a whole different world in terms of pvp not being a thing anymore and the game being MUCH easier than i remember.  i could go on and on about all the changes but you guys know them already.

my journey to learn/relearn the game and teach a friend has yielded me a handful of lvl30/1x characters around rank ~20 and one legend (warrior).  i also got my first ever stoneskin druid (droopy, kodiak - tyvm) among many other personal achievements.

i just want to say that i never really felt the drag.  it was exciting for us to level to 28 as fast we could so we could get to the fun part.  exploring, trying to load decent eq, etc. and in doing all that you would get to 30 pretty easily.  the most grindy part for me was the last 2-3 ranks to get legend, but even that was not bad i feel.

i am still enjoying trying to learn new classes, book loads, zones... i am still enjoying the game.  perhaps my long break has kept me from being as burnt out as some of you who have continued to play all this time.  but i just wanted to offer my perspective.  thank you to everyone for keeping the game alive.

Thank you for playing, we're happy that our efforts have brought you back to the game and that you're enjoying it so far.

Thymorical2

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 10:45:15 PM »
A drag indeed.. before they removed pvp I all ready was playing 4 to 7 characters.. now no one I know plays.. I'm not going to play all 8... play Albion my name in game is thymorical and I run ego alliance and your all black listed..

Heo

• Fodder
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »
You know PvP has been back for a while now right?

Create a char and post it and I'll come kill you free of charge.

Thymorical2

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 12:31:51 AM »
If I play arctic again it will be because someone gave me the source code.. I honestly dont feel like pretending I'm not me to play a game.

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »
It's okay, we don't want you to play anyway.
You were never very good at it.