Author Topic: Decays  (Read 2448 times)

Willoe

• Guardian
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
Decays
« on: December 06, 2018, 06:37:21 PM »
Would love to get peoples feedback about the current decay system. One of the things I've noticed with it is that gear seems to decay in rent quite a bit more then before. Now generally this isn't so much of an issue...play more your gear lasts longer, however coupled with the % items in the game it makes maintaining and holding a set of gear very tedious.

I think overall the idea of rent decay is great, keeps people from deep-renting the gear. I am concerned however in that it may have an unwanted side-effect of making the game extremely grindy to try and keep your gear. I think almost every single night I log on I have from 1-2 decays, and instead of running something fun or exciting, I'm constantly chasing my decays. Is this true for everyone else?

A suggestion would be to look at the current timers to see if they are reasonable, perhaps a poll? Also taking a look at % of items loading, having to run a zone 10+ times to reload one of your decays is silly and when we have such limited to to begin with makes you almost just say bapt it.

Anyway thank you to the staff for constantly trying new things. Looking forward to reading some of the feedback.

Ilya

Jorake

• Zone Leader
Re: Decays
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 06:02:38 AM »
I think every piece of gear should be rent decay. Maybe adjust the timers or load % of the items but let’s be clear what we are talking about. You aren’t using a full dko set of gear or something. Your gear likely can’t be done in 5-10mins of just steam rolling a zone. So maybe it shouldn’t be a standard. timer.

Dko dam belt should be like a week. It’s a soloable item.

I don’t have any answers for this really lol. I just wanted to point out the difficulty of attaining and maintaining a very nice set of gear.

Maybe a good way to do it would be with rank points. So something like a dragon orb would have a visible 200 hour timer. And for each rank of 0.1 you get extends the timer. Idk

Quid

• Favorite Zone: Mortigoth
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 02:25:46 PM »
I don't know about all of you, but when I see to many pieces decay I tend to feel like there's better things I can do with my time then play first person text game, it breaks my spirit to play a little bit, especially when it becomes later in the wipe and other people start to head out to do different things in life.

I don't mind regearing after a dt, or after not being able to cr, I hate seeing the "decays in your hands" message though.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »
I do feel like the decay system might need some minor tweaks but is overall a sound idea.  It limits the amount of gear a single person with 9 characters can hoard. It also allows a dedicated and focussed player to eventually get a shiny "from" a less dedicated player without having to kill them for it.  But it feels like keeping even 1-2 characters geared is a bit too grindy.

I initially thought that the rings/medals/ranks would become a late-wipe way to remove the need to repop lower-end gear that was still quite important (fly and nocharm in particular).  But I found that after legendary, the fly/no_charm ranks were too low on the priority list given their cost relative to other things (like mindshield, spellsaves, steelskin, imm_blind, imm_silence, imm_fear, legend).  Minor tweaks might fix that though.

Heo

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 05:29:31 PM »
I'm good with the current decay system, having stuff with longer timers but decaying normally in rent probably makes sense.  May take a little tweaking but otherwise folks just hoard too much.

Feroz

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 09:08:36 AM »
I think the decay system could use some much needed help. Personally I am a player who plays In surges, i will play hard for 3 or 4 months typically in the winter months then spring-fall I get busy with work. As a hardcore player and a zone leader for the clan we are constantly chasing decays. It's a common theme to log on my 2 characters and have a bare minimum of 4 decays every single day that I log. I'd like to spend more time exploring the good zones that are being implemented (thanks to the imms who are putting in the hard work) but I'm just entirely too busy spending my 2hr log time each night repopping decays. It gets tedious and is likely a major factor in why I only play in surges. Would there be any consideration in keeping the current decay system for the first 2-3 months of the wipe and when the playerbase drops off to maybe double the timer length? I feel bad for some of our clan mates who have crazy shift work schedules. I'll just use lyam for example he works a week on, week off schedule. No exaggeration we will load him a brand new average-elite tiered set the week he plays, when he leaves for work and returns we have calculated he loses 55-60% of those 7-14 day old items that we loaded him. Some other things I have considered instead of chasing my tail with decays is maybe to bring back class sets, make them all death load, and low % load rates but make the decay timers insanely long. Or make it so they dont decay at all. So for the casual players they can log on and enjoy zoning or exploring zones without having to get geared up to the gills before being able to do something fun. Another option is to maybe change the load rate %. Nothing is more demoralizing than losing an item and having to run the same zone 25 times in a row to repop that 1 specific item. It's really just becoming extremely grindy, a lot of us are older players who now have families, kids, long work schedules etc. I am trying not to make this about myself as a hardcore player but I'm pretty sure the current decay system is even hurting the casual players, which in turn is likely also pushing people away from the game. Some more input would be great from other players on their perspectives and thoughts. Thank You.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 09:23:23 AM »
I think that the decay timers should be revisited, most items with low limits appear to decay after about 2 weeks, even if characters are logging every day. Meanwhile, I have a warrior from the beginning of the wipe who only JIST NIW decayed his Lemish shield.

I think battling deeprenting is important, anyone who doesn't log for over two weeks should expect to log back in with most of their gear decayed. But players who are logging every day should not have to run the same zones over and over just to maintain the status quo.

If we could double the current decay modifier so that most limit items can last about a month I think it would encourage more players to keep playing, instead of logging, seeing 4 decay messages, then deciding they don't want to run XXX zone for the 5th time this week, and renting.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
It takes a long time to gather the right 'set' of items you want to play with. Unfortunately, once this set is completed, maintaining it is a never ending battle. We're older now, we have more responsibilities with work and real life. Long gone are the days of logging on and playing endless. Eventually, you aren't playing Arctic, you are playing Arctic's decay system. One way to combat this issue, is to up the limit on certain items. I believe the limit 1-2 items are in a good spot, but eventually you run zone after zone and NOTHING but the vendor/drain magic items drop and it gets demoralizing. I just think relaxing on the subject of gear and decay can be loosened. Let's face it, the people who want the gear bad enough will eventually have it. But what this is doing is causing frustration and burn out to the casual players. I don't play on the weekends, so every Monday morning when I log on, I can expect 1-2 items to have decayed, being in rent for 48 hours. 

I believe the decay system could use some looking into.  I know that the lower % on items gives other people a chance at the item. I get that, it's a good idea. But also let's look at people who are religious about their decays and WILL dedicate the time to repop them.

I had the pax druid weapon on my druid this wipe, it decayed and I ran the Pax druid 14 times just to repop it. Sure, it was good money, but who in their right mind wants to run the SAME exact thing FOURTEEN times just to keep an item. That is going to cause burnout for anyone.

My idea for class sets, and I've said this before, is this: allow high level mobs of specific classes to death load a set item for the class. EX: Nightlord could have a chance at loading the gossamer mage set, King Phoenix could have a chance at a barbarian piece. Heck, even lower the % and let any 25+ mob of that class have a chance at dropping a piece.

Weapons are usually not hard to find, it's the filler items that get in the way. Logging on and seeing you have a 6/6 class set(this could even be increased to maybe 8/8 with having a 2, 4, 6 and 8 piece bonus) and knowing that not every single weapon is maxxed gives people an opportunity to play the actual game. Log on, go load a weapon, using that weapon and you class set will allow you to load an even better weapon.

What the class sets will also do is free up even more gear. You can't make the class sets the be all end all, but if a lot of people are using them, that's more gear loading for everyone else.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:03:03 PM by Kadaj »

Tajs

• Favorite Zone: Dun mir
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 01:15:49 AM »
I'll have to agree on the majority of what's being said here. The rent decay is brutal. I'm all for upping the rent decay time some.. by x 1.5 og x2.
At the same time I like that items actually *do* decay and can't be deeprented, just make the time before decaying in rent longer. Or based on how active a char is? If that's possible

albarn

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 08:34:23 AM »
Not to put too fine a point on what's already been said, but delving into Kadaj's post:

My idea for class sets, and I've said this before, is this: allow high level mobs of specific classes to death load a set item for the class. EX: Nightlord could have a chance at loading the gossamer mage set, King Phoenix could have a chance at a barbarian piece. Heck, even lower the % and let any 25+ mob of that class have a chance at dropping a piece.

[edited]

What the class sets will also do is free up even more gear. You can't make the class sets the be all end all, but if a lot of people are using them, that's more gear loading for everyone else.

If the sets are loadable, and somewhat competitive, that frees up a lot of unique shines for the hardcore gamer to gun for.  At that point, you could dial the decay rate back to where it was.

el conquistador

• Fodder
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 12:19:51 PM »
it is fun when a couple of items load instead of the standard empty zones.

but it is extremely demoralizing when you log back on after a couple of weeks and half your items are gone.

its a tough problem.  personally id like to see much slower decay and much higher/no item limits

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »
Answer: logarithmic or exponential decay.  The "near zero effect" close to flat line against the x axis of time should extend to about 72 hours rented. Hence, you play a couple times a week, you're fine.  After that, increase on an exponential or logarithmic curve, to a poiny where if you didn't log Huma's for 10 days, that shit is gone.  Reward play. Punish inactivity for high end stuff.

Homard

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 05:03:46 PM »
Get rid of item limits all together.  Make everything % load.  Decay rate is based on % load (lower % higher decay rate) and total numbers of that item in the game ( more in the game, decay faster).  Off you go.  Maybe everybody gets a shot at great items once in a while.  Zones load more items and you get to have the fun "an item loaded in the zone" rush once in a while.  Items don't last as long though so maybe you have to be creative in gearing from time to time and not have your perfect set all wipe.  If you know that great weapon is only lasting 4 days, you're going to use it instead of hoard it and everybody has more fun.  I've played on and off as a casual since the beginning and in a few clans from time to time.  The one thing that drives me away more than anything else is knowing I'm going to play 2 or 3 hours tonight and not see anything but a few junk items.  Item hoarding in rent has been the elephant in the room on this game since Kurt Cobain was alive.

el conquistador

• Fodder
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 12:48:09 PM »
Get rid of item limits all together.  Make everything % load.  Decay rate is based on % load (lower % higher decay rate) and total numbers of that item in the game ( more in the game, decay faster).  Off you go.  Maybe everybody gets a shot at great items once in a while.  Zones load more items and you get to have the fun "an item loaded in the zone" rush once in a while.  Items don't last as long though so maybe you have to be creative in gearing from time to time and not have your perfect set all wipe.  If you know that great weapon is only lasting 4 days, you're going to use it instead of hoard it and everybody has more fun.  I've played on and off as a casual since the beginning and in a few clans from time to time.  The one thing that drives me away more than anything else is knowing I'm going to play 2 or 3 hours tonight and not see anything but a few junk items.  Item hoarding in rent has been the elephant in the room on this game since Kurt Cobain was alive.

i think i would like this plan. 

its not great when you find a couple of hours to play and find nothing loading and .02 ranks.  and you dont really even get the feeling of 'this superitem might load'.  people know the decay timers on the really good stuff or something. 

Malthros

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 10:14:56 PM »
Answer: logarithmic or exponential decay.  The "near zero effect" close to flat line against the x axis of time should extend to about 72 hours rented. Hence, you play a couple times a week, you're fine.  After that, increase on an exponential or logarithmic curve, to a poiny where if you didn't log Huma's for 10 days, that shit is gone.  Reward play. Punish inactivity for high end stuff.

This wouldn't be bad, though some gear decays quickly even if you're logging regularly.

More gear would load but you'd be decaying gear more often and gear decay when actively playing is the problem.  Having nice gear load constantly and decay on you within days would be worse than the current situation.  If deeprent is the problem then make it weigh against active gametime or something.  Rent a dragon orb for a week?  Gone.  Rent it for a few days but you're playing hours a day otherwise?  Yeah sure have it decay at a normal rate as long as you're active.

i think i would like this plan. 

its not great when you find a couple of hours to play and find nothing loading and .02 ranks.  and you dont really even get the feeling of 'this superitem might load'.  people know the decay timers on the really good stuff or something. 

But in that system, you finish playing, log for several days, log back on, and all that good stuff you had is now gone and you're back to square one.