Author Topic: Same IP playing  (Read 1691 times)

Jorake

• Zone Leader
Same IP playing
« on: December 01, 2018, 02:45:33 PM »
Ok first let me say that this isn't directed towards Anista, because thats who i spoke with this about. And hes still a cool dude just doing his job.

My 15 year old son wanted to try mud out. So i showed him how to log on and make a character and i had him going through the solace newbie school etc. So I thought i was doing the right thing in letting an imm know "hey there will be a 3rd character on my IP. This is the situation. Wanted to be up front" Anista told me that if 2 people in the same house play they have to be on the same email if on the same inet. So he has his own email. he's 15.

The part I dont understand is, why cant 2 people from same IP play at the same time at the same play style as everyone else? 2 chars each. What happened to watching and doing the multi test or something?

Say Anista and I are living in the same house. Became roommates somehow. We both have played for years. Have different play styles. You can clearly tell its 2 separate people. Why then would we be penalized to play just 1 char each, if we both playing? You can tell when people multi pretty damn easily.

There has to be some sort of solution to this other than I cant play my 2 guys because I'm trying to show the game to someone else. I could multi from so many different places. Why would I be up front about it, if that's what i was trying to do? I have a laptop that's on my works network. has its own inet. I have a personal phone, a work phone. Both with their own inet. A tablet from work that is again. on its very own network.

And just to make it clear. Anista didn't punish my chars or my sons char. he stated the rules and how it was a crack down type thing. So this isn't a rant about i'm being treated unfair. Because the rule I guess is pretty linear.

This is a rant asking if there is a solution or some type of honer system we can abide by? ALL the helpfiles at this point for this type of stuff are outdated and no longer relevant.

blackmagus

• Zoner
Re: Same IP playing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »
You were given very narrow parameters in which you are able to multi, which is a massive relaxing of the rules on behalf of the admins. You are breaking those rules and feel you deserve more leeway to do what you want.

Is there any reason why a brand new 15 year old boy new to the game needs two active characters? Are your scripts so well programmed as to require little to no input from a novice?

Why not show him the way the game is meant to play, a solo adventurer starting, making friends and later grouping up to tackle new challenges. By having him control two characters at once, you're making the game /more/ difficult for a new player, rather than make it easier.

kanu

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »
I think Jorake's main complaint is that by introducing a new potential addict to the mud, his own play is limited as a result. He is probably fine with his son playing only one character, he'd just still like to be able to play 2.

I'm in the same boat. My plan is to play with my son when he logs (which is infrequently) and not try to play two of my own characters. Parents make all sorts of sacrifices for their children, this seems fairly minor to me.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
Parents make all sorts of sacrifices for their children, this seems fairly minor to me.

Well said.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 09:19:22 PM »
Yes that is what i meant Kanu! Thanks.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 09:49:29 AM »
Yes that is what i meant Kanu! Thanks.

I'm guessing that the main reason the imms have to not make exceptions for "room mates" is the concern that people will abuse this exception to play more than 2 characters.  it is my impression that the overwhelming majority of players have no desire to play more than 2 at the same time because it is hard enough managing 2.  the number of people who would even want to play more than 2 is probably so small that the imms and clan leaders could rattle off their real life first names off the top of their head.  but even with these small numbers of violations, it may be too onerous/difficult/stressful for the imms to distinguish between these cases and to enforce the rules in a manner which is and is perceived to be impartial.

kanu

• Fodder
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
When playing multiple characters wasn't being enforced last wipe, I know of at least one person who controlled a whole group of 8 characters. If a fight went bad, he almost always lost 6-8 of his characters but he was able to do some pretty decent stuff with that group. And they never complained about being in the zone too long or begged him to pop them mage books...

Shannow

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 04:51:06 PM »
One player had a 'brother' who was reallllly quiet

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 09:49:28 PM »
Having thought about it.. I get it. The current rule is the rule. I accept that.

I do however still think it should be changed. Some sort of test or something. Like i said before, it's pretty easy to spot when someone is multing.

Hell, I remember taking my laptop to my cousins house one time and there were like 4 of us on. Sitting in the same room. Drinking and chatting and mudding.

I multied a ton last wipe too. I normally had 5 guys going when it was allowed. And 2-3 going when it wasn't. From phones or various devices. 

I just figured with a solid honest heads up of "hey, this is whats going on". There wouldnt be any issue. I could still do my thing, play my guys. Show my son the game and see if he would get into it. Make a couple dudes to get him up to my shamans level and we could group and stuff.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 10:34:41 AM »
I know of at least one person who controlled a whole group of 8 characters.

I think there are about 6 people like this, and they probably are already known by name to both the imms and/or anyone who has been pkilled by them in the past 6 years.  Life has gotten rough for people with actual room mates.  If they use the same email address, then they violate the character sharing rule.  If they use different emails then they have violated the terms of multi play.

The other "room mates" dont seem to be complaining much.

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 11:02:56 AM »

The rule is two characters per IP.

The reasoning is simply that it is much easier for us to police a rule that is two characters from IP than two characters per player. In this Arctic is very much a 'choose your own adventure game' as much as it is in so many other ways. I mean this from an immortal time usage perspective. We have among our staff an incredibly capable group of people but all of whom have relatively limited time to dedicate to the non-paying work of being an immortal on Arctic. We can relax these rules for those who would adhere to an "honor" system but at the same time would then have to dedicate our time to also searching for and policing those who did not adhere to it. As well we would expose ourselves to instances of outrage from players who may end up wrongfully accused and then had a potentially significant portion of their mud time spent in trying to prove their innocence, etc.
Instead what I have decided we should do is make these rules perhaps less convenient so that the time involvement from immortals is as low as possible and we can get on with the much more beneficial business of developing and creating and approving new zones and features for the game.

The problem we have a lot is defining the rules gets difficult because we're all a bunch of slouchy hackers trying to find the loopholes. We will have new rule helpfiles in the near future but we hope that they won't need to read like a legal document (see any MMO EULA) and instead that everyone will happily follow not only the written rules but also the spirit of them. Maybe that will also be a rule!

Thanks for your understanding.