Author Topic: Damage messages  (Read 2106 times)

Jorake

• Zone Leader
Damage messages
« on: November 25, 2018, 09:28:10 PM »
What would you think about letting us players see how much damage we are doing? I could almost bet it would increase the player base a bit. Seeing how much your hits do and your spells do, just adds another aspect to the game so things are so boring to watch. I dont know how hard this would be to code, or if its just hidden. What do you think?

could look something like

You massacre a pigeon with your cleave. [23]
You annihilate a pigeon with your stab. [38]

or however much those damages normally do.

You could toggle it on or off for those who dont want to see. I just think it would add some flavor to the game. Wield different weapons and see different damage types etc. Same thing with spells.

You watch with selfpride as the magic missile hits a pigeon.  [7]
You watch with selfpride as the magic missile hits a pigeon.  [3]
You watch with selfpride as the magic missile hits a pigeon.  [5]
You watch with selfpride as the magic missile hits a pigeon.  [8]
You watch with selfpride as the magic missile hits a pigeon.  [5]

Etc etc. Wondering what people think?

Kadaj

• Zoner
Re: Damage messages
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 05:29:04 AM »
I for one have wanted this in the game for a long time. Mainly for spells, melee can have a pretty good estimate as to how much damage they are doing depending on the message, whereas casters just.....get the same message over and over. You have no idea how much you are doing, if the spell crit, if the spell was partially resisted.

Dagda

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 08:28:23 AM »
I love this idea.

remi

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 01:34:26 PM »
I like the idea

el conquistador

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 02:13:15 PM »
would be super nice but probably hard to put in.  seeing the numbers on mobs hits would be really good too

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 06:49:56 PM »
I like the idea as well, however it would quickly blatantly give away some of the properties of no_lore items. It'd also spell out the effects of +dam and the effects of attribute boosts.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 08:53:10 PM »
Not sure how it would affect no lore items. Because you would see some damage go up? Why is that bad. You’ll still not see literally ANYTHING else. As far as attributes.. you can already see those by quaffing a knowledge pot. So that’s moot.

Not sure it matters. There’s been no immortal feedback anyhow.

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 10:13:55 AM »
No.
It would completely ruin any level of immersion the game has.

Shannow

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 11:23:26 AM »
Agree with Kam on this one, part of the appeal of Arctic, even though it can be frustrating at times is the lack of information the game gives you, plus it looks spammy and cheesy as shit.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 11:27:37 AM »
Let's be real here, no one here is a 13 year old exploring Arctic for the first time. There's no 'immersion', no one is role playing. No one is out to vanquish thy enemies in a blaze of glory! What mystery this game holds! Give me a break. We've all been around long enough to know that's not true.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 11:51:08 AM »
Kadaj for overlord!

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 10:32:51 PM »
Let's be real here, no one here is a 13 year old exploring Arctic for the first time. There's no 'immersion', no one is role playing. No one is out to vanquish thy enemies in a blaze of glory! What mystery this game holds! Give me a break. We've all been around long enough to know that's not true.

Are you the only person playing the game now? No? Okay then.

kanu

• Fodder
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 11:59:43 AM »
Yeah, I'm not interested in more stuff to read. I like that Arctic keeps some stuff secret, it makes the game more interesting.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 07:37:17 PM »
[
[/quote]

Are you the only person playing the game now? No? Okay then.
[/quote]

OK, sorry to ruin your deep immersion.... An opt for this would make sense

Caine

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 09:08:59 PM »
Damage words are somewhat vague and I think that's a good thing - at least psychologically, the difference between me seeing a 'massacre' vs an 'annihilate' doesn't seem very big when I'm just looking at a word. But quantifying damage makes things different in my opinion - if I saw myself doing 23 vs some other player doing 47 every hit... while it would be the same, consistently seeing someone else doing 2-3x my damage every day I'm grouping might turn me away from playing. At least when I get the odd big hit in the current system I can feel like I'm hitting as hard as they are.

I could be entirely wrong, but just a thought.