Author Topic: Outlandish ideas that will probably not be implemented but are probably needed.  (Read 689 times)

eddiex

• Zoner
Since Arctic is pretty much a zoning game, here's my ideas for how to make PvE and arctic more interesting and appealing.

-World bosses - while the idea was nice, it could be improved, particularly because some of the best gear in the game is loading on mobs soloable with a dragon orb and lim 1.

Make real world bosses. Give them a maddening amount of hp.  Make them automatically grant a rank. Make them load one piece of gear for every class. Make them only accomplishable with 50% of the mud population cooperating. 30 players to kill would be nice.

Make some optional high risk, high reward fights. Needing good EQ to win is a necessity and losing everything is likely (non-recoverable). But if you win, you get something Godly. Think chaos buff strength.

Example: Something like the Rose quest but harder, but when you die you lose everything.  If you win you get freedom but memable like nightfall.

Speed runs - make optional quests for groups that time your zone completion. make certain objectives necessary so it can't be exploited by thieves, mages, etc. make a cash reward or board where bragging rights can be claimed for holding the record.

Change all gear to be unlimited. "Real" Gear will load to the current max at traditional rates.  Once the max number of that item are in game, unlimited versions of the same items can potentially load at an extremely reduced rate. Think 1% or lower.  This may give someone an actual reason to do a zone when all non trash items are maxxed.  Currently when a zone is maxxed, it's an absolute waste if time to run.

Make an arena system. Do not allow gear to be brought into the arena, but rather no limit gear that all have access to.  maybe Allow buffs to be purchased in arena to allow for customizability.  fighting in the arena and ranking at the top of the leader board can grant in game perks.  To avoid abuse install a system that requires characters to complete high level zones to earn arena tokens to participate. Make arena accessible only at specific times of day/week. Police collusion.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:18:06 PM by eddiex »

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
The world bosses idea is actually one that we have on the back burner. The original implementation was done pretty quickly and I think we didn't really fully pursue the potential for what it could be. These will be swapped out for newer editions next wipe.

Full world fights require a bit more effort from the back-end side and end up being more in the realm of a game-wide quest. We have something like this cooking already but it will likely not be ready to go until later in the wipe.

Nothing chaos buff strength will be going into the game. The world boss eq was terrifyingly unbalanced enough.

Speed runs is a great idea. We can talk more about that when you have some time if you'd like to help me flesh out the idea a bit more.

Arctic and unlimited % load everything is not something that I am interested in seeing happen. Part of what makes this game great is that there are items that only one person can have at a time. Not everyone gets the Hammer of DOOM or whatever just because they have the time to spam a zone incessantly. I like limited items, they make me feel special.

Arena system is also currently in development. We don't have a timeline for this currently.

Does anyone else have some crazy ideas? These didn't turn out to be too crazy.

Kadaj

• Zoner
Where to begin:

A great idea would be to stop revamping old zones in favor of brand new ones. What this does currently is keeping the same amount of zones in the game. I see no problem with 'updating' the current zones, maybe added a room or two and just cleaning up the general descriptions and what not, but having someone devote their time and effort into a zone that's already been in the game just seems like a giant waste of time.

Arena has been asked for for nearly a decade and I'm glad that something is being done about it.

Removing legendary would be a great change of pace. Instead of grinding these dumb skills that you're never going to use and grinding an absurd amount of rank mobs for a measly few % only to go on and legend and mostly likely stop playing shortly after because there is no more incentive.....my idea is to remove legendary and increase the amount of ranks that are available. You could include the current legendary ranks within the system already (slightly nerfed) and add a few other fun/utility flags in there for purchase. In order to make this successful, the current ranking system would need a major overhaul. There's absolutely NO reason that running a zone shortly after someone else gives you astronomically lower rank % than the first group who ran it. What this would also do is make repopping gear seem not so bapting awful. There's absolutely no way I want to run some shitty zone AGAIN after we just ran it for the POSSIBILITY of my item loading and coming out with 30-45 minutes of my time gone and absolutely zero gained from it. With this type of system, the rank cap should be raised to 100-150. Make the ranks cost more points but increase the gain per mob.  Another downside to this is having to adjust the smaller, weaker rank mobs to not be spammed. I have no idea why every single mob in Thanes Mansion west of Solace is a rank mob, but to avoid abusing that, those ranks were have to be set far lower than others.

I would love to see rangers put back into the game or at least take a look at sky scouts. The ranger class was an awesome mix of utility and damage. Tracking, hiding, sneaking, casting refresh, small combat buffs, bash mode vs bow mode, parrying, rescuing, it was a great mix and you could play a handful of different ways in each zone. I don't see anywhere in any of the dozens of Dragonlance books Iv'e read mention anything about 'mountain, ocean and sky scouts'. Dude, get real. I'm fully aware of magic and casters and this game is fantasy, but if you want the 'immersion' feel, get rid of bapting aquaman and stupid ass IRL grizzly adams. That RUINS the immersion feel. I like the idea of different 'paths' for classes, just ones that make sense. Marksman path for bow oriented rangers, Hunter for bashing/hiding/sneaking/tracking and possibly a little buff to allow them to tank. Shield/Parrying combo where missing a bash doesn't floor you so you can still provide utility while not taking tons of dmg.

I don't necessary agree with 'unlimited' gear, I do feel like some items should become unlimited. Make these items like + damage come with some negatives, something to use UNTIL you find a limited piece to replace it with.

Sets: I think the class sets should work like this.   Instead of having set mobs have an OK % to load, I think that any mob that is higher level (25+) should have a small % of loading a set piece. This gives them a random feel and would mix things up a bit. Instead of spamming Sarson over and over for a random, non locateable piece of gear, you could make it a point to go out and hunt big mages with the hopes of finding one of the pieces. This game has far too few 'random' elements to it. Having a little bonus for just going out and zoning and doing shit should be a nice treat.

I could probably make 10 more of these posts and I will continue to add on when I think of new things. These are just my opinions and views from someone who has spent FAR too much time on this game that any adult should.

eddiex

• Zoner
wow. thanks for actually taking me seriously. I actually never looked at the forums after posting this because I assumed it would just be full of flames.

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
The world bosses idea is actually one that we have on the back burner. The original implementation was done pretty quickly and I think we didn't really fully pursue the potential for what it could be. These will be swapped out for newer editions next wipe.

Full world fights require a bit more effort from the back-end side and end up being more in the realm of a game-wide quest. We have something like this cooking already but it will likely not be ready to go until later in the wipe.

Nothing chaos buff strength will be going into the game. The world boss eq was terrifyingly unbalanced enough.

Speed runs is a great idea. We can talk more about that when you have some time if you'd like to help me flesh out the idea a bit more.

Arctic and unlimited % load everything is not something that I am interested in seeing happen. Part of what makes this game great is that there are items that only one person can have at a time. Not everyone gets the Hammer of DOOM or whatever just because they have the time to spam a zone incessantly. I like limited items, they make me feel special.

Arena system is also currently in development. We don't have a timeline for this currently.

Does anyone else have some crazy ideas? These didn't turn out to be too crazy.

bapt uia

Pick one?