Author Topic: August 10, 2018 --- PWIPE!  (Read 4263 times)

Jorake

• Zone Leader
Re: August 10, 2018 --- PWIPE!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
Or have your mage spec for durability.  I rarely need strong healing even on big area fights with my white robe.  Failing to see the utility and damage add aspects of mage debuffs, group buffs, transfer, etc, seems shortsighted as well.

I can say this with impunity, as you just said you never group my class. :)

Have a mage spec for durability? Why on earth would I do that? I understand that sure, a white robe with globe could tank some mid level zones etc. And maybe I just havent seen it done but i wouldnt have a white robe mage tank something like 5head or faldi or tero or none of that stuff. Simply because you might have 400 hp and cant rescue. VS a main tank that can get to 800 with steelskin, can be globed by any number of items, has the innate skills/stats to tank, can rescue, etc etc.

I might be biased. I have never had a legend mage, and I will nver try to have one outside of possibly a red robe for tether situations. Sure they can dominate in PVP fights, big area = win.
Idk. I just have never been a big fan.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2018, 02:47:05 PM »
While it is possible for a white robe to tank and win certsin big fights,  I meant simply for a damage/buffs/debuffs turret that doesn't eat many heals. Properly specced/equipped, your white robe kr black robe should be among the most durable of your dps. If they aren't,  take away a couple items and strap on more resists, immunes, hps, etc. 30cl 28 int is easy, and *all* other mage gear is discretionary.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2018, 08:02:12 PM »
I would likely let a steelskinned shaman tank before i would a mage. At least they cant taunt.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 11:23:48 PM »
Yiubare, possibly intentionally, misunderstanding the concept. When, for example, Jeppe would tank on a robe, it would be for a large, non targetting mob which can be abused by the 134 different self-only tricks white robes can do.

Your scout or DK or whatever tanks the shit mobs that need rescuing. Nobody brings a mage to tank a full zone, but certain fights, the right mage is far better than the wrong barb. This isn't a terribly new concept, and I wasn't the first.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2018, 11:27:55 PM »
White mages tanking? Wheres the log for this mythical prismatic unicorn?

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 11:30:32 PM »
*shrug * I tanked down Frostbyte a few times on one of the Mollies. Others did it far better: Jeppe had some tricks. Stack enough dofferent limdams, dodge spells, and damage shields,  and this can get fairly amusing, faurly quickly.  It's a party trick, though. Useful in narrow circumstances. Can be done: usually there are better options.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 11:36:06 PM »
All of that is beside the point I was making about durability.   The point of the durable mage is that, with a white robe's self heals and cleanse, the mage should be the last person you have to heal on area damage, not the first.  If your mage is too fragile and eats heals constantly... I'd suggest he rethink his approach to building a zoning mage.

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2018, 01:40:34 PM »
Anyway, regarding group size..

The first goal we have which could lead to increasing the group size back to 10 is lowering the overall level of player damage.
This, ultimately, was the goal of lube. This is not the way that we plan to approach this, but there will be an overall softening of player damage output. This, to many later points, will also bring mage DPS more in line with melee, simply because melee has gone far beyond its intended limits.

This wipe the group size will remain at 8, as we continue to endeavor toward a more balanced game we will be able to consider increasing it to 10.

Tajs

• Favorite Zone: Dun mir
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2018, 08:47:22 AM »
Sounds good :)

I'd suggest looking at caster str, too - those str 11-13 or so is on the low side, especially when the caster weapons didn't change weight.. ;)

Kam

• Overlord
  • Zoner
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2018, 09:19:23 AM »
Yeah that annoys me like crazy!

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
A sneak peak:
You can now fly while under water, if you have water breath.  No need to land.
And..
If you are level 20 or greater, casting water breath hits the whole room (even non-grouped people) instead of just the target.
And finally..
Those stupid faeries got loose, they can't be contained.

oom

• Fodder
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2018, 11:43:29 PM »
 I don't know if what Aristox said is true of if he's just making fun of us for being a bunch of whiners. I hope it's true though.

As far as what Reed was talking about for group sizes. I was the primary leader of MYTH this wipe for a 3 month stretch or so, from like late Sept - January maybe? with a couple of appearances after. I will say that it was a real letdown that people would log on late for groups and they would be full and then they would log off or solo a bit and log off before we had a slot. Whether going to 10 man groups again instead of 8 is the answer I'm honestly not sure. Would more mages have gotten into groups if the group size was 10 instead of 8? I don't know. I do know, if they were in the group they wouldn't be locating physics or whatever his name is every 20 minutes...
Honestly I think the anything goes multi situation we had this wipe was a pretty good one time opportunity for a lot of people. I saw several people in MYTH go from having minimal knowledge of leading to being fairly capable of keeping an 8 man occupied for an evening of fun. I think the "legal" ability to at least 2 man will maybe help with people who are left out. I don't know, I like the idea though at least in theory, even though I've never been one to play more than a single character.

Lastly I just want to say thank you to all the people who continue to pump content out, fix bugs, make chaos harbingers, wipe the mud, balance classes etc etc. We are pretty lucky to have this game. Some people will say it's a "dead" game but I've been hearing that for the last 10 years and I think I have more fun every wipe.

And Kam. I don't know how long ago this was, probably 2 years? But one random night you made a shout. It was basically "as long as one person still wants to play this game we will make sure it's still running". I don't know the exact quote but that was the idea. I just want to say Thank you for that. Just the IDEA that this game continues on is comforting to me. There have been times I quit for a year, I come back and like 5 people I knew in the past just happen to be starting up again the same week. It's kind of amazing really. I'm glad to be a part of this Arctic community and I'm glad to have met all the other players here. Whether it's someone I'm "at war" with or a clanmate I feel connected to everyone who plays this game.  I mean out of 7 billion people there are maybe a few thousand who have ever played this game and we could all talk for hours about it.

Matt

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2018, 07:56:32 AM »
Almost ashamed how excited I am about 2 chars per IP. Between work and kids it’s near impossible to join a clan and accomplishing anything solo just isn’t worth it. The possibilities are fabulous!

zodiak21

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »
i just came across a person on some random mobile game that played this game back in the 90's.  I gladly let the know the mud is wiping and they will be coming back when the mud comes back so +1 baby. First time in 20years i met someone outside of arctic who knew what arctic was lol.

Kholos

• Greater God
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Tarsis Treehouse
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »
I actually agree with everything Reed said.