Author Topic: Soloing/duoing mage guidance?  (Read 2418 times)

Kelrick

Soloing/duoing mage guidance?
« on: March 02, 2018, 03:09:41 PM »
I haven't played for a few years, and wasn't really knowledgeable about the high-end game when I did play. Chose a mage to main this time, mostly because I enjoy playing casters and cleric was getting a little too stale. I usually either solo or duo with a barbarian, and I'm running into issues getting new books - the zones I know that load the books I need require more than 2 people (or at least, 2 people that are higher level/better geared than we are!), but it's been a struggle getting help. No one is selling books (understandably), and most evenings I'm on, I'm the only non-clanned person online.

What's the best way to proceed? Is mage simply not a class someone who isn't clanned and/or who isn't very experienced with zones should play? I've gotten all of the low level books, so I'm learning (and definitely willing to learn more), but it feels like I've reached a wall. If it's doable, does anyone have any recommendations on zones to learn that load mid-level books that a 28 mage and 28 barb can beat? I'm concerned that if I wait until 30 to start this, I run the risk of failing a book and being somewhat screwed (relearns aside, which I also don't know where to find).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Willoe

• Guardian
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
Re: Soloing/duoing mage guidance?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 06:41:20 PM »
What's your mages name? Old clan often leaves books in their inn as we assume after months of shouting them for sale that nobody needs them. We would be happy to funnel them your way.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 08:19:47 PM »
You're going to be able to get the early staples like confusion, force bolt, charm monster before you get your conjure. Once you have your conjure soloing those is pretty simple.

Your next tier, say the force missile / shocking blast and the black/white robe equivelents are a 3-4 man operation. During an active wipe I'd recommend farming coins and use those to buy the books for sale. It's not uncommon to get books for 5-12k which is soloable within a couple hours as a 25+ mage. Folks in clans (Willoe provides a great example) are pretty good about helping our neutrals when not at war.

I'd be happy to give you a couple tips on my coin run if you'd like to PM me.

Kelrick

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 11:02:49 PM »
Thank you! My mage's name is Kelrick, and I'm usually on from 6pm PT until midnight PT or so, if not on my mage, then on another character  (Ethian or Ulrich) exploring. Blackmagus, I'll shoot you a PM shortly. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:27:13 PM by Kelrick »

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 10:56:29 PM »
should be able to get all spells necessary for legend but one just from 2manning (one tank type, one healer type).  unless you are an expert, you definitely need an alt who is not a mage to support your mage.  even most experts usually have a more powerful alt to pop books for their mage.

Kelrick

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 11:05:18 PM »
should be able to get all spells necessary for legend but one just from 2manning (one tank type, one healer type).  unless you are an expert, you definitely need an alt who is not a mage to support your mage.  even most experts usually have a more powerful alt to pop books for their mage.

I'm the antithesis of expert at the moment, sadly. :) I do have a 26 cleric that I could use, though - thanks for the advice.

Heo

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 07:41:31 AM »
You can always make a thief - they can pop pretty much all necessary mage books quite easily, and they level fast as hell.

P.S.  Is clair totally worthless now?

Soren

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 08:42:10 PM »
You can always make a thief - they can pop pretty much all necessary mage books quite easily, and they level fast as hell.

I've always sort of assumed that thieves were harder to play than even mages, and had stayed away from them - is that not the case?

Kelrick

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 08:44:12 PM »

I've always sort of assumed that thieves were harder to play than even mages, and had stayed away from them - is that not the case?

And apparently, I have two forums accounts? Weird.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »

Going to have to try that out next wipe; never played one.

Heo

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 07:40:47 AM »
Thieves can be annoying in the mid and mid-high levels, and they require a bit more game knowledge to use well.  But they are incredible for popping prep and exploring.  I popped mage pretty much every spell with thief (minus obvious ones).  That said, they are mainly for soloers, so if you're looking to be grouped a lot they're not as useful. 

But a thief with just a store bought weapon can solo all of Lunitari or gank Kitiara in Sanction, so long as they know they right prep.

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 09:50:12 PM »

Mages are by far the most "newbie unfriendly" of all.  If you cannot legend a character from a different guild you simply dont have enough knowledge to go anywhere with your mage.  even some of us who can and do legend other guilds dont have enough knowledge to produce anything better than a useless trash mage.  as a rule of thumb, if you dont already know how to check the lich or know the mystic vault combo, you have no business maining a mage.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 10:40:33 PM »
Elitism.

Kelrick

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 11:14:20 PM »

Mages are by far the most "newbie unfriendly" of all.  If you cannot legend a character from a different guild you simply dont have enough knowledge to go anywhere with your mage.  even some of us who can and do legend other guilds dont have enough knowledge to produce anything better than a useless trash mage.  as a rule of thumb, if you dont already know how to check the lich or know the mystic vault combo, you have no business maining a mage.

Fair (and, to be honest, I'd sort of gathered that as well). If you were going to pick a guild that was particularly new-ish player friendly, what would you recommend? I've tried cleric (no one seems to want them in groups), thief (good lord do I suck), paladin (I like, but again with the grouping), mage (see above), and shaman (seems like mage light, at least with regards to charms).

kanu

• Fodder
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »
Kelrick,

I really think Dark Knights are a pretty easy class to play, if you follow the rule "never kill evil dragons or evil clerics" (at least until you get to Legend status, which in your case may take a few wipes to do).

They come built in with cure/damage spells and drain and darkness/nightvision can make a lot of soloing when exping really easy. For example, I can solo Raynes for 10 million exp while trying to get the Impune special ability.

The one drawback to Dark Knights is that is reasonably difficult for a newbie to figure out the Lily quest completely on one's own, so once you hit level 25, you might want to hit up a friend or another dark knight to help you get your dragon.

Warriors are pretty good as well, once they get vigor up to very good or so (which I often find happens around level 26-67 if you've been soloing non-stop and going back to train every time you hit skillful in it) because then you regen really, really quickly and soloing is much easier.

David
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:26:44 PM by kanu »