Author Topic: What would it take to ever make me play again?  (Read 49345 times)

Ericj

Re: What would it take to ever make me play again?
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2013, 12:18:48 AM »
I agree with Daniel and Slunt.  I have put a lot of time into this game but it is harder to sit down for more than 2 hours at a time to really get anything accomplished.   We all know the experience tables are do-able if you have the ambition to do it, but for folks who don't want to sink so much time into that grind it just does not make sense. 

My opinion on the "war to oblivion" is right on par with Auz Andy.  Personally the clan I've been with for last 8 years or so has been in many wars (BSP, Wilds, SOB, whoever SOB was last wipe, CORE and more*.  We try not to take it personal and have fun.  Our war with Core was extremely fun because we would call cease fires for a few days or a week or what not to let folks regear and the peace agreements were not severe.  I spent most my mud career fighting against Bob and Corey and this wipe clanned with them.  I think folks need to not let things get personal, but that is tough with some of the players who play because the way they act.

kilians

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2013, 01:32:10 AM »
i agree with the time sink of  exping a new character i have 2 kids and a full time job so its v.hard for me to find time for an alt and iv been on 3 month break and now im back so if anyone needs help let me know exspecially you eric if it werent for u i wouldnt have learned the little i have since u older guys in school showed us arctic.

snax

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2013, 01:38:30 AM »
i hate the tedium of grinding that occurs with every single alt every single wipe.  be it coins skills spells or for groups....even shouting "looking for group" for 8 hours i think counts as grinding.

more unique content is always a plus but i can see why there's some serious roadblocks to that....even sucky zones on this game are better than a lot of areas on a lot of muds.

Could we try opening up a crowdsourced zone?  here's the gist of hte idea:

open a forum topic or header for crowd sourcing zones.  An imm starts by posting a map and a theme.
Players contribute 50-200 rdescs (anyone can contribute)
Players that contribute more than 5 rdescs can design a mob.

Imm popuplates the map with the rdescs and mobs.

The 2-3 most active contributers get to work with an imm on item creation.

Then someone gets stuck with the specs and making it not suck.

Surely the community can come up with something better than blighted farm.

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2013, 06:18:09 PM »
1. lower the xp tables.  i get tired of playing just one character but i dont want to take another month and level up an alt. 

2. allow 1 multi per person.  why not?

3. pvp optional wont work.  no one has ever played a pve game for hundreds of hours a year every year.  it gets way too boring and predictable.

4. crowdsourced zone?  maybe but good luck getting anyone to sift through room descriptions from every retard with 50 terrible ideas for a room description.

5. make fridays no pkill day.  yes i know pvp optional wont work but these assholes are not going to police themselves so give us one day to zone safely.  do you think they are sad when someone quits after they pkill him?  no.  they have big grins and tiny little chubbies growing in their shorts.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »
pk roll: you pick pk char now you can get all the eq you want kill who you want gain ranks and legend wear all eq you want but you are playing pk mud

non pk roll: you pick non pk char now you don't get shit you don't get ranks your max level is 25 max skills are very good you don't get good eq but you also wont get pkd

can these be 2 options next wipe please

I think I like this idea, though maybe the specifics of the "casual option" could be tweaked. Reduced XP requirements to get to 25. Maybe allow them to get to 28 but it takes a very long time. Small XP / eq loss to pk death. No possibility of Legend. Cannot do aggressive actions to an ungrouped/unclanned player. Cannot wield/wear/use elite eq (I think reed had a good definition of elite). Maybe restrict guild to prevent mage and shaman. Stats are always 1 or 2 points below max. Maybe allow a similar bot.

Attai

• Immortal
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2013, 07:34:19 PM »
1) XP tables
I don't think most people play this game to do mid level zones,
I'm married with 1 kid and another on the way, I work full time and ive got a shitty commute
I don't have the time to play that I used to, If I came back I would play maybe 2-10 hrs a WEEK
So if I'm going to spend my time playing this game I dont want to have to spend a month of my limited playtime just to do Storm's Keep
If you want to make stupid XP tables then backload them to be lvl 28+
Make it easier to get to lvl 28 which is by most people an acceptable level to do high level zones and harder to get to lvl 30

2) Unlimited very high % load decent equipment that is no rent decay but with very low in game timer
This kind of easy to load equipment would allow myself and other playtime challenged people to have fun
For warriors maybe make some hand/body/wrist dams and some 3d6 enchantable primes
I don't usually play other classes so I'm using warrior as an example
Especially with limited playerbase is it really overpowered to be able to get 4dam and a 3d6++ prime?

3) If you're worried about buying ranks making players overpowered with unlim eq
Make utility ranks buyable at any level (fly/stats)
Make rest of ranks (+dam) only purchaseable once you are lvl 30

4) For God sakes people bapting group with each other or let others in your group
Opt LFG is a cool addition but its only useful if people actually use it
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:49:27 PM by Attai »

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2013, 06:20:58 AM »
The rent decay system needs to change.  Deeprenting EQ has to stop.  I stopped playing pinster and the mithas belt/10 +heals were sitting on my char for over a month of not playing until I gave them to a maza.

The no-pk 1 day a week thought was very interesting, but may have abuse issues.  I kind of like the idea though.

Exp tables - 1-25 revert to old tables, 26-28 30% increase from old tables, 29-30 50% increase from old tables.  This allows people to lvl up to grouping lvls quickly but prevents trash from lvl 30 too quickly.

Allow 1 alt from same IP.  I don't get why imms won't just give this a try late in a wipe to see how it goes.

Attai

• Immortal
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2013, 06:09:49 PM »
The rent decay system needs to change.  Deeprenting EQ has to stop.  I stopped playing pinster and the mithas belt/10 +heals were sitting on my char for over a month of not playing until I gave them to a maza.

I disagree, I think people should be able to deeprent so they can take a mental break and come back and not have to start over with no eq.  If they aren't going to make more and easier to get unlim eq then they should raise the limit on some of the items in the game

Seriously what fun is it to have to constantly spam a zone to get your decay back.  The mentality of people is I had something, I decayed it, I want it back and they'll spam a zone 15x to get it back and alot of the times nothing decent loads during those 15 runs.   You can't possibly say you enjoy doing that.

I don't want to just see higher load rates I want to see higher limit

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »
The attraction of arctic to many top tier players is to acquire the limited eq in the game.  If the limit 1 items changed to a ridiculously low load rate, that would turn off many leaders in the game.  Not to mention when people see wilds running around with 2 shields of huma, everyone will automatically start saying cheaters, cheaters.  When the limited eq is popped and deeprented, then the game is stupid.  The game continues to have new zones and unbelievable equipment, yet the player count goes down.  There shouldn't be any problem loading decent eq if you just go look around.  And it is unfair to the people who play more frequently when someone who logs 1nce a month pops a pretty decent item, then rents it for the rest of the wipe.

Attai

• Immortal
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2013, 12:54:59 AM »
The attraction of arctic to many top tier players is to acquire the limited eq in the game.  If the limit 1 items changed to a ridiculously low load rate, that would turn off many leaders in the game.  Not to mention when people see wilds running around with 2 shields of huma...

I think the attraction of many top tier players is PK first and best gear in the game second.  But would it be a turn off to people to make it easier to get nice gear? I dont think so.

Also my opinion is nobashes and humas and such should be lim 1, any item that starts with THE should be pretty awesome and be the only one in the game, THE to me implies THE ONLY one like THE shield of Huma.

xellos

• Zoner
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »
i like the idea that if a limit 1 item decays, it should be mass broadcasted to the mudd.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2013, 10:05:18 PM »
I've been playing another mud right now and they use a visible timer system on the item that shows when you look at someone... for instance:
the shield of huma [7d14h23m]

On that mud, the timers are usually pretty short... like a week maximum.  You can 'feed' your uniques/artifacts by playing, specifically by killing other players or by completing zones.

snax

« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2013, 01:28:12 AM »
i like the idea that if a limit 1 item decays, it should be mass broadcasted to the mudd.

here here! i second that idea.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2013, 09:53:14 AM »
I have played Arctic pretty solid since 2001 with only fairly short breaks now and then (maybe 3-6 months, depending on what was going on in my life), and I'm not sure if I'll ever come back. I started playing this wipe just like I did all the past ones, but after a couple weeks I had to take a break because I drove across the country from Washington to New York state to help some friends move... and I just never even thought about coming back.

Part of me still loves Arctic and still wants to play, but whenever I consider it all I can think about are all the negatives.

The biggest reason for me not wanting to touch Arctic again is because of how toxic some players can become and how driven they are at trying to ruin another person's ability to simply play the game, let alone actually have fun while doing it. In my opinion that toxic attitude is the main reason this game struggles to hold onto it's players, nevermind attracting new ones. What is the point in even trying to play Arctic when there is a pretty good chance that someone will decide they don't want you to be able to play anymore, and an even better chance that they can accomplish it?

I can hear all of the excuses already about how it can be avoided or how it's part of the game, and you know what? It doesn't matter. The point of a game is for people to be able to play it, to have fun, to even be challenged. When someone doesn't want to play because another player (or group of players) can remove all elements of fun and entertainment.... then what's the point?

There's no way to change a persons attitude or the mentality they play with, but the game itself can be altered to make it harder for them to play in a way that is anti-social (and forcing others out of your sandbox is anti-social). What are those chances? I really cant say because it's not an easy problem to solve. But something needs to be done, and it needs to be pretty major.

Now, in as far as the game itself...

I still love the game, but it's too much work for what should be fun. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not one to shy away from grinding or putting in the effort to get what I want, or to help my friends get what they want, but as I moved into the "casual" side of mudding I found that it's not appealing anymore (I wonder if it ever was in the first place lol). I don't have the time, or desire, to mindlessly grind away on the mud when I could just as easily be playing Black Ops 2 online, or StarCraft 2, and actually having fun 99% of the time... instead of maybe 40% on the mud, if I'm lucky.

No, I don't want things to be easy, but there are ways to make a game challenging without creating a grind game.

I'm not asking for anything here, I'm simply stating why I personally am not mudding and why I probably won't be anytime soon. It's just the honest truth about why someone who's played this game for over a decade decided not to come back and is instead choosing to allocate that time elsewhere.

corey

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2013, 10:46:34 PM »
I have played Arctic pretty solid since 2001 with only fairly short breaks now and then (maybe 3-6 months, depending on what was going on in my life), and I'm not sure if I'll ever come back. I started playing this wipe just like I did all the past ones, but after a couple weeks I had to take a break because I drove across the country from Washington to New York state to help some friends move... and I just never even thought about coming back.

Part of me still loves Arctic and still wants to play, but whenever I consider it all I can think about are all the negatives.

The biggest reason for me not wanting to touch Arctic again is because of how toxic some players can become and how driven they are at trying to ruin another person's ability to simply play the game, let alone actually have fun while doing it. In my opinion that toxic attitude is the main reason this game struggles to hold onto it's players, nevermind attracting new ones. What is the point in even trying to play Arctic when there is a pretty good chance that someone will decide they don't want you to be able to play anymore, and an even better chance that they can accomplish it?

I can hear all of the excuses already about how it can be avoided or how it's part of the game, and you know what? It doesn't matter. The point of a game is for people to be able to play it, to have fun, to even be challenged. When someone doesn't want to play because another player (or group of players) can remove all elements of fun and entertainment.... then what's the point?

There's no way to change a persons attitude or the mentality they play with, but the game itself can be altered to make it harder for them to play in a way that is anti-social (and forcing others out of your sandbox is anti-social). What are those chances? I really cant say because it's not an easy problem to solve. But something needs to be done, and it needs to be pretty major.

Now, in as far as the game itself...

I still love the game, but it's too much work for what should be fun. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not one to shy away from grinding or putting in the effort to get what I want, or to help my friends get what they want, but as I moved into the "casual" side of mudding I found that it's not appealing anymore (I wonder if it ever was in the first place lol). I don't have the time, or desire, to mindlessly grind away on the mud when I could just as easily be playing Black Ops 2 online, or StarCraft 2, and actually having fun 99% of the time... instead of maybe 40% on the mud, if I'm lucky.

No, I don't want things to be easy, but there are ways to make a game challenging without creating a grind game.

I'm not asking for anything here, I'm simply stating why I personally am not mudding and why I probably won't be anytime soon. It's just the honest truth about why someone who's played this game for over a decade decided not to come back and is instead choosing to allocate that time elsewhere.

Teach me to have fun on SC2.