Author Topic: What would it take to ever make me play again?  (Read 36808 times)

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
What would it take to ever make me play again?
« on: June 04, 2013, 03:00:25 PM »
I would just like to say that I have not lost the love for this game.  However some of the players definitely make you turn your head but that isn't why I decided to quit.

One reason I quit is because all my clannies quit me which was sad but no biggie it's a game and I got over it without any long-term emotional effects luckily.

But anyway I had a GRAND PLAN like none ever before!!!   I was going to roll unknown characters change my name and pretend to be from the 70's to restart my mud career on a totally different level!!  new friends new places oh boy was it gonna be fun!

So there I was rolling and rolling!  Damn I even pegged a great kender roll! Sweet life is good...  or not...   All of a sudden I was like "holdup!"  this is going to take FOREVER.   

SO I QUIT

fix the xp tables and i will play again.    Last wipe I had 3 legend characters.   ..  this wipe i started on day 1 after much anticipation and the most i have is a rank 16cleric and a level 14 thief.

This is only because the game is now more work then play..  If you can make it fun again then please re-invite me back...  If you decide to make this wipe last an entire wipe like usual i probably wont ever come back..  these xp tables have really screwed this wipe. 

Love Brandon

Bryton

• Zoner
Re: What would it take to ever make me play again?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:53:18 PM »
Cool story bro

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:12:25 AM »
although i never thought i'd say this... i agree with brandon. i mean, i don't care... but he's right.

the way the xp tables are set right now its geared towards an epic grind-fest of xp that discourages players and makes attempting to level outright boring.

tldr: huge xp tables discourage players.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »
Maybe some of the better (more popular) guilds and races could use the current xp tables and the less popular ones could have reduced xp needs.

Willoe

• Guardian
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
I would also tend to agree to this...It has made soloing a character up to being levelable extremely slow and boring. I've been lvling a dk and grinding for a few hours a day and due to lack of players have been doing it all solo(cry fest I know)...However this is extremely dull and I can imagine how this can turn any new or returning player away...It's one thing to have such high experience to level when you have lots of people playing and people grouping, but to have to grind it out by yourself is just silly. You have to be level 26 to get decent experience in high level groups and the exp from 20-26 is just stupid.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 04:20:24 PM »
I also hate the new xp table as a solo'er.

I was gaining 1 rank per 1 level after level 20. I was almost rank 20 by the time I reached level 30, and when I legend my warrior, I still have 30million xp to reach 1xp.

I guess the only good thing about the huge xp table is discouraging trash char. I use to be able to level up different support classes but now I have to consider seriously before starting a new class.

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 05:05:35 PM »
with the big xp tables people only want to level 1 character.  last wipe if our healer isnt on, someone else switch to their healer.  this wipe if our healer or tank isnt on we might as well not even play. 

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »
it was a bad change and it needs to be fixed.

kmark101

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »
I really wanted to play this wipe but attempting to levelling 2 times 2 different characters, the amount of boring xp'ing totally discouraged me around lvl 20. So I have decided to wait until they change this.

RaVaN

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:46 PM »
  I personally didn't mind the xp table change.  It did make me just zone early on versus grinding xp powering through the levels.  It made the game a bit more fun for me since I made moves earlier than I normally would.  I usually only play on character so it just doesn't bother me.

That being said, /100% agree with changing it back.  The fact is that there were a few returning/new people that I know quit due to the grind necessary...which for those inexperienced people it just plain sucks.  I mean really REALLY sucks....especially when they are trying something new and get hammered back to what took them a day to do because of one mistake that killed them.

For experienced players, it isn't such a big deal but for the new/returning it does no good and is just bad bad bad.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 10:45:21 PM »
I really enjoy the xp part of the game ONLY when there are people available to xp.  With that being said, i thought the current wipe changes to levels 20-28 were a bit extreme.

Level 20:  11000000-13999999  (  2999999)
Level 21:  14000000-18999999  (  4999999)
Level 22:  19000000-26999999  (  7999999)
Level 23:  27000000-36999999  (  9999999)
Level 24:  37000000-48999999  ( 11999999)
Level 25:  49000000-63999999  ( 14999999)
Level 26:  64000000-80999999  ( 16999999)
Level 27:  81000000-99999999  ( 18999999)
Level 28: 100000000-119999999 ( 19999999)
Level 29: 120000000-144999999 ( 24999999)
Level 30: 145000000-179999999 ( 34999999)

To level from 23 to 24 is 10,000,000 xp now? haha i mean that is nuts.  If you have a solid 5 man its not so bad, but the fact of the matter is most people lvl up with 1 maybe 2.

If i were in charge i would revert back to the old xp tables for levels 1 - 25, slightly increase them for levels 25 - 28, and 150% them for 28 - 30.  This would prevent the trash slightly but also enable people to lvl to high "grouping" lvl rather quickly.

RaVaN

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:39:25 AM »
  I like your plan reed23.

Nasredin

• Immortal
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:01 AM »
For experienced players, it isn't such a big deal but for the new/returning it does no good and is just bad bad bad.

Quite on the contrary. The biggest problem for the new/returning players is the lack of ability to find interaction. Not even necessarily a group - what about a pk opponent of equal level? When was the last time you participated in pk with both sides having non-trash chars below lev10? Right, 10 years ago or so; these days everybody is lev15+ just a few hours after the wipe. Certainly, you may invite a newbie to your clan and level them to 25+ or whatever in no time, but i personally find being the "assist dummy" more boring than anything else.

Then, the level suggests a certain choice of zones. Basically, if everybody is 25+, low, mid and even many mid-high zones have little to no role in the game. Certainly, a mid-lev zone may have half a dozen rank mobs, 1-2 nice loads and maybe a hiding spot, but all that could be safely moved to the nearest high lev area and the rest of the zone thrown away. In fact, keeping even that isn't really important - high zones provide bigger ranks and better eq.

On the other hand, if it takes time to get to the end game content, all those mid lev zones suddenly become important, the quests worth solving and the eq worth keeping. Thus, the game becomes more diverse, which is good. After all, if it were only the end-game content that mattered, why not make every char lev30 from the very beginning and save every player some time and effort?

In reality, the whiners aren't really bored by leveling itself. What really pisses them off is that other ppl know the game better and were not so arrogant as to learn only the few highest zones. Now the ones with diverse knowledge get their fun from lower zones, and explore more and eventually level and proceed to higher ones, while the loosers keep whining because now they're too low to do the 3 ultra-high zones they learned from the logs without ever exploring anything themselves.

An example came to my mind: the Wayreth tests. Everybody i talked to enjoyed them. And yet, you go to Wayreth at lev10, not at lev30. There are other low and mid zones that are just as exciting if you consider them per se, not as a lengthy boring intermediate step before proceeding to the "real, lev30" game content.

Third, getting to the end of the game too fast leads to boredom and frustration. Once a caster gets all the spells, what they usually do? Roll a different char and play it. The less time it takes to get a new spell, the less it is valued and the faster playing the char becomes boring.

Same with exp. The easier it is to get levels, the less enjoyable is the moment when you finally level.

Finally, almost everybody who posted in these thread dislike the new exp tables. My statistics is different: when i discussed the new exp with my groupmates in the game, most of them either liked it or were neutral. Just they didn't care to post their opinions here.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »
oops
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:53:21 AM by btown »

RaVaN

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
@Nasredin

I think you have a pretty big handle on my own view of the game and we probably are pretty close in mindset on how it "should" be played.  Theoretically, I don't disagree with anything you posted either.  Realistically is where the problem lies though. 

There are points in leveling that even when doing zones it just sucks and is a grind whether solo or in a group(unless it is with a group of very experienced people who are sneaky bastards and know how to do the high end zones on very little/low level) since you are trying to get to a point where your skills actually work consistently.  Usually this is around lvl 20-25ish.  This is also where the xp tends to put you in a limbo state of not enough xp to too hard of mobs to kill for the gain.  A lot of this comes down to a better balance, and I realize that there are a lot of areas where this is not a real issue for those that have put the time in to figure out effective zoning while leveling. 

Now, that is with relatively experienced people  who know what is going on in the game.  You throw in new people or returning people(out of the game for 4 years or more) and it expounds that issue.  This is even more true when the player base is down.  Add in to the mix death by stupid...and what you have is a long long dark period of why bother.  I have seen too many people hit this point that were good players who loved to play that quit for it to be just a "they need to suck it up/buncha whiners" deal.  Especially when I don't disagree with them that usually between lvl 20 and 25 just is boring as hell generally..even more so solo.

I think Reed's fix is the simple solution and a good idea for protecting the new/returning people.  It's a pretty good balance.